XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Transmission Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Fault

I'm new member. Love my 2013 Jaguar XF but may be time to part. I have seen posts on electrical problems fault displays but couldnt locate current thread. So here goes:

Car ran fine till about 110,000 miles when faults showed up--a parade of every fault showed up after driving for 40 miles or so. Took to Coverntry Jaguar in San Diego (first time) and they had it for 2 months and charged me $6000 to amoung other itens replace the rear module B computer in the boot/trunk. Coventry brought it to Dealer and I think Dealer installed the module B, not sure.

Took possession and fault lights immedatly appeared. Repair unsuccessful. Been driving prevariously for a few months. If drive too long will get stuck in drive. Can stop and restart and faults go away and drives perfetly till faults eventually show up.

My sense is the transmission module needs replacment, suspect they replaced wrong computer. Cost to replace transmision modle is alot and doubtful of value. Question the legal right of car manufacture to charge such exhorbant prices for replacment parts. Doesn't seem right.

Old 09-06-2024, 01:03 PM

I had several replies to my post and now they are gone. Are post deleted after certain time? There were some good comments and I wanted to thank authors but got busy and now can't locate.

Old 09-06-2024, 01:18 PM
Received 13,300 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydsoflondon
I had several replies to my post and now they are gone. Are post deleted after certain time? There were some good comments and I wanted to thank authors but got busy and now can't locate.
Hi lloydsoflondon,

Posts are not deleted. Is it possible that you originally posted under a different username?

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-06-2024, 06:28 PM
Post Continued Repair Attempt

Thanks for the info on posts not deleted. The issue with the faults showing up and all the related problems such as stuck in drive, limp home mode, etc seems to be somewhat common. I mentioned that I spent $6,000 for repairs that did nothing. Someone posted to just drive keep driving, but now I don't see the post. The danger is I am going to get in trouble at some point if the car is stuck in drive and I can't back up. Plus who knows what else might happen. My wife rightly freaks out when the fault lights come on and the warning bell starts ringing -- nerve wracking if you are not used to it.

So I took car to San Diego Jaguar dealer, they replaced the Module B junction box ($3600 for part) when Coverntry Jaguar (who I took the car to for repair in the first instance) brought the car to them when Covernty couldn't figure out how to repair. I will report back when Jaguar dealer advises what the problem is. My guess is another part for over $3000, the transmission module is my sense just based on having driven the car for almost 15 years. Still drives great. I did have to rebuild the suspension about 3 years ago for $5000, shocks were completely shot and drove like a Modle T. In hindsite suppose its not a cheap car to maintain. That's $10k for a car that's worth maybe $10k when not broken.

Old 09-06-2024, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 326 Posts

Did you have your battery replaced

Old 09-06-2024, 09:41 PM
Received 13,300 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Without a detailed list of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes, symptoms, and work performed thus far, it would be impossible for us to help you remotely. But obviously, the shop who charged you $6,000.00 owes you a proper repair or a full refund.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (09-08-2024), EssOess (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Thanks much Don B.!

Old 09-09-2024, 12:09 PM
Default Fault Codes

Thanks for the responses. Today I recived a video inspection of the car from the Jag dealer. The fault codes are caused by oil leaking onto the alternator which affects the voltage. Aside from a dozen other mechanical issues not related to the fault code issue. And replace battery. Whch I replaced a year ago along with auxilary battery.

I paid $6000 to replace the Module B junction box, according to the video that had nothing to do with the fault code issue. The dealer replaced the junction box but my guess is they will claim Coverntry Jaguar told them to make the repair.

I need to hear the cost to repair. the customer rep is going to call me. But my guess it is going to be thousdands of dollars and no guaranty the repair will fix the issue. Customer rep must be mulling over how he can explain the $6k repair before calling me.

Old Today, 04:28 PM
Angry Dealers Diagnoses and Repair Costs

Dealer called---$3500 for new alternator but can't guaranty it will fix the fault problem. Also rear manifold coolant leak $1500. Aside from essentially a complete engine and suspension rebiled if I did all the repair recommendaitons. Didn't ask cost but got to be over $10,000.

So it seems at my 2013 FX died at 110,000. I am going to pick it up and figure out what to do. Still drives with caviet it might break down any time.

Old Today, 04:46 PM
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

For a 2013 car, not under warranty, why are you taking it to a dealer? $3500 for an alternator replacement?!! I live in VA and you could probably have it transported here, me replace it, and transported back and still be less than that! (Not that I'm suggesting that, just making a point). Dealer service has a bad rap for a reason! Nothing you have described thus far could not be handled by a competent independent shop. I've known plenty of dealer mechanics in my day and while not true of all of them. Most are some of the most incompetent know-nothings I have come across. I know far far more independent mechanics. They're far more knowledgeable and competent than the dealer. Dealer is fine if you have warranty. Beyond that. No way in hell.

I mean this in all sincerity but I think maybe they see you as an easy victim pretty much. So it's good you are not going forward with them, but that doesn't mean it's the only option. You also have to realize that many times these dealers and other shops will Jack the price up super high because they really just don't want to work on it. However they will for that price. I say ask around, scour reviews and find a good reputable, independent honest mechanic to give you a diagnosis. Diagnosis fees are pretty cheap. I don't know what that other Jaguar place you were talking about is that isn't the dealership? However I would try someone different than them too.

Old Today, 05:41 PM

Coventry Jaguar, the repair joint I took car to, will replace alternator for $1000. might take chance and have that done. make sure oil doesn't leak on it and if that repairs the fault problem then car may still have a few miles on her. Don't drive much so looking for a couple of years of use.