F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative/ground battery cable post sheared off - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 03:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Negative/ground battery cable post sheared off - now what?

While tightening the 13mm nut on the threaded post in the trunk that secures the battery's ground cable, I must have overtightened and the damn post sheared off -- half of it remains on the bare trunk, which isn't enough to keep the battery ground cable terminal from slipping off.

1. Can I connect the ground cable to another nearby post, or can it only be connected to that one post?
2. How would I repair the post? I don't even see how it can be removed since it's through the metal of the trunk, it must have to be accessed from under the car.
3. Am I that dumb to not know that these can shear off, or should that not happen?

Thank you!

Old 08-30-2024, 05:25 PM
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

You can connect it to another nearby metal post. I would try and stick with something similar in size to the post that broke. No need to repair the post that broke unless it left a hole where water could possibly get in.

Old 08-30-2024, 06:08 PM

Thank you. There is a nearby post but on it is a black plastic connector that secures the nearby wiring harness. There are three clips on the plastic connector so I am trying not to damage anything more -- it's another pain to remove!

Old 09-01-2024, 12:25 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Your 2017 coupe

I have a MY2017 coupe and will go out and check the trunk floor for possible ground studs and post photos.

Old Today, 10:51 AM

Update: I moved the battery ground cable to an alternate post that was holding a retaining clip for the nearby wiring harness (the bare post pictured below).

2017 F-Type Coupe Luggage Compartment Battery Negative Ground Post

During my initial installation, the car did not complete the circuit. I reseated the cable and the car powered on the accessories, but upon starting, there was a ground fault and the car went dead. That led me to believe this new ground connection, fully tightened and as flat to the metal body as possible, would not work. I reattached to the factory post, and the car started as usual.

The difference between the factory post and the alternate post I tried is the washer-type nut that's connected to the bottom of the post, which creates a flat surface for the negative lead. There is another post just like this, except it's another inch or two beyond the cable's reach. See the post below with the metal surface surrounding it.

2017 F-Type Coupe Luggage Compartment Open Ground Post similar to factory ground post

So -- is it possible to get a longer ground cable and reattach to this post with the washer/nut? Or is it possible to get a new washer/nut, install it on the other bare post, and attach the cable as I had intended? Thanks for any and all help!

Old Today, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I would just clean and remove all paint from that stud? You can't get a good ground thru any coating?
Yes some star washers would also bite into the car body and would also be a good addition after cleaning the stud off.

The following users liked this post:
scm (Today)
Old Today, 08:54 PM
Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

You could repair your original post with a threaded rod connector. See pic. Thread the connector onto the old post, then secure the battery with an appropriate bolt. FYI.