Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F-TYPE compared to C8 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 07:40 PM
Received 234 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Jaguar F-TYPE compared to C8 Corvette

The following 4 users liked this post by Turko:
Borbor (Yesterday), cwisenheimer (Yesterday), GeorgeIII (Yesterday), REVUP (Today)
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 999 Likes on 747 Posts

I stopped watching when they said the C8 looks beautiful from every angle. I disagree. From some angles it looks like the front and rear were grafted together from two different cars.

Maybe in the morning I'll watch the rest, but this isn't a comparison I would make.

The following 3 users liked this post by lizzardo:
Luc Lapierre (Yesterday), scm (Yesterday), thocar (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

The C8 is fairly exotic in Australia, about a $250K car which is cheap here, a Hurican for comparison starts at over $600K, there is a black F Type R at Southport with a stupid looking white spot on the door and they are asking for $410K for it. Anyway, my uncle was a ferrari guy (458 was his latest from memory) and sold it and got the c8, he reckons the build quality is really good but there is no drama with the sound, it is boring to drive and he really regrets the change.

For myself, I agree with Steve above, I dont mind the front on the c8 but the back looks like it is off another car designed 30 years ago. It looks better with the big wing on it.

Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I don’t doubt that the C8 is a fundamentally great sports car, but yeah, the looks I cannot find myself enjoying. The proportions of the car are horrible. The higher Z06 and ZR1 variants fixes things a bit for me, but I still just generally find them all to be a bit over styled and plasticky looking.

F-Types on the other hand will stand the test of time design-wise. Such great lines.

Ah whatever, there’s a car for everyone, and it’s really hard to argue the commercial success that GM has had with the C8.

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM
Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
The C8 is fairly exotic in Australia, about a $250K car which is cheap here, a Hurican for comparison starts at over $600K, there is a black F Type R at Southport with a stupid looking white spot on the door and they are asking for $410K for it. Anyway, my uncle was a ferrari guy (458 was his latest from memory) and sold it and got the c8, he reckons the build quality is really good but there is no drama with the sound, it is boring to drive and he really regrets the change.

For myself, I agree with Steve above, I dont mind the front on the c8 but the back looks like it is off another car designed 30 years ago. It looks better with the big wing on it.
what model C8 did your uncle get? The experience is worlds apart if he got a stingray vs a Z06. Driving a stingray from a sound/throttle experience is very similar to any other Corvette which is expected since it’s just an updated LS corvette engine

Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM

It truly is mind blowing what you guys pay for new F-types over there compared to us in North America. Or likely any car for that matter. Pretty crazy.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2021 F-Type and traded it in when my 2022 C8 LT3 HTC finally arrived. Loved both cars but in the second year of C8 ownership I did start to miss the refinement of the F-Type. As to C8 reliable because it's a GM product! Mine spent 6 weeks waiting for a passenger side front-end lift equipped shock. And when the dealer still couldn't tell me when the part might be available, I knew it was time to go back to Jag. I also talked to another C8 HTC owner who was in his third month waiting for a replacement relay so he could put his top down. Both of these were warrantee items, so it was up to the dealership to take care of the customer. That's the biggest problem with the C8 Corvette, it's a GM product. Now I'm a happy owner of a very drivable British Green 2024 F-Type R75 convertible.

The following 3 users liked this post by t_tate:
DJS (Yesterday), scm (Yesterday), sov211 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

The white spot on the door indicates it is a ZP special edition. Those are the priciest models currently on dealer lots.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by cpq100
The white spot on the door indicates it is a ZP special edition. Those are the priciest models currently on dealer lots.
I’m not meant to understand this dot on the door…lol..I think it looks absolutely ridiculous. No offence to anyone who craves this Dot Edition car ;-0

So they add this questionable dot on the door and blue leather seats (which are kinda cool), call it special, and then add oodles to the price of the car. Like it is a lot more, not just a bit of money.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

The ZP is a limited edition. There were only 150 produced. No desire for one. I am keeping my 2018.

https://www.jaguarusa.com/about-jagu...p-edition.html

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by t_tate
I had a 2021 F-Type and traded it in when my 2022 C8 LT3 HTC finally arrived. Loved both cars but in the second year of C8 ownership I did start to miss the refinement of the F-Type. As to C8 reliable because it's a GM product! Mine spent 6 weeks waiting for a passenger side front-end lift equipped shock. And when the dealer still couldn't tell me when the part might be available, I knew it was time to go back to Jag. I also talked to another C8 HTC owner who was in his third month waiting for a replacement relay so he could put his top down. Both of these were warrantee items, so it was up to the dealership to take care of the customer. That's the biggest problem with the C8 Corvette, it's a GM product. Now I'm a happy owner of a very drivable British Green 2024 F-Type R75 convertible.
I guess things can happen with any new model car etc, but yeah, I had loosely considered one (more inclined towards a Z06) in the early days when trying to figure out what I was going to purchase. For the base C8 I found myself trying to convince myself it looked good. I never succeeded in doing so. Add all the pricing games the dealers were playing, and the low availability in Canada at the time, and it was very easy to take it off the list.

In theory I should have been able to purchase a Z06 (which I was more interested in) here in Canada for not much more than what I paid for my F-type R. Main problem up here was extreme availability issues…You guys in the US think you had it bad, up here we barely got any of them. The few that dealers did/do get, they played/play games where the owner of the dealership would/will sell the cars to their friend’s uncle’s cousin’s half brother, and then magically the car would end up back on their showroom floor as a “used” car with 20km on it. Then they could sell the car for whatever they wanted.

That’s how they would unethically skirt around the fact that it’s illegal to sell a car above MSRP in Canada. Saw some listed for like nearly 300k CND. Yeah, you can keep your Corvette.

Regardless, it was interesting to read in the Corvette forums the range of problems like you are describing. There are tons of stories like that on there. I check in every so often and read out of curiousity. It’s ongoing even now from what I can tell.

The one issue that I believe to this day is still happening (that makes me shake my head) -> That problem where the paint is chipping off around the headlight housing due to some weird fitment issue. There is rubbing or something as the panels on the car shift. I believe this is still going on on their latest cars. Rather than fix it on the line they are just letting it happen and then cause the owner to have to repaint a brand new car…Stuff like that drives me nuts, and I’m not interested in dealing with a company that knowingly does not fix clear manufacturing problems that inconvenience customers.

Say what you want about Jag, they at least address issues that arise. From what I remember they had a similar rubbing issue towards the back of the f-type when it first came out, leading to paint peeling. They addressed the issue immediately on the line.

I still find the Z06 and ZR1 C8s pretty interesting. The base C8 less so, but even it is an impressive effort on the whole. The value for money performance-wise is pretty much unrivalled…Assuming you can get one for MSRP or below and can stomach the look of one…

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Here in Canada I believe they are charging a 30k to 40k CND premium. That is bonkers to me for what you are getting. A dot and blue seats. Like, really? Don’t understand…From what I can see looking around quickly,,,

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Correct, it doesnt stop it looking ridiculous. And it is painted on, so you cant peel it off.

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Correct, it doesnt stop it looking ridiculous. And it is painted on, so you cant peel it off.
OMFG…Here I was thinking that if one wanted the blue seats bad enough they could peel the dot…lol, guess not… ;-0

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 999 Likes on 747 Posts

The front looks pretty supercar-ish and looking straight at the back, it's more traditionally Corvette-y. Three-quarter view? It's the transition at the back of the doors, where those huge inlets are. Some colors look better than others (hide the mismatch better).

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Not only is it painted on, it is hand painted. That is how they justify the price!

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2023/1...chequered-flag

For the extra $30K - $40K they are roundels not spots.

Last edited by cpq100; Yesterday at 05:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Not only is it painted on, it is hand painted. That is how they justify the price!

https://media.jaguar.com/news/2023/1...chequered-flag

For the extra $30K - $40K they are roundels not spots.
they look like something that retailers stick on seconds stock so that they can write the discounted price on it with a red marker and a few exclamation marks

Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I was seriously considering buying a C8 but went with the F-Type as it has AWD.

The following users liked this post:
REVUP (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Not a fan of the C8 design. IMHO the C8 is 2/3 Ferrari and 1/3 JC Whitney.

Last edited by diablo2112; Yesterday at 06:33 PM.
Old Today, 08:29 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Talked about buying one.

Texas daughter said. “The corvette is every hillbilly’s dream in Texas,”. Not you dad.

I have owned the Jag 5 years. Still turns heads.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tomkatb:
DMeister (Today), scm (Today)