XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 4.2L V8. - ECM bad? Or maybe fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2024, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 4.2L V8. - ECM bad? Or maybe fuel pump?

Hey Y’all

I’m joining the jag community with a trial by fire. Trying to pinpoint if my problem is the ecm or something different.

check engine light is on, sometimes when I start the car it stalls and dies. When I’m idling at a stoplight, occasionally the engine will begin rumbling and the gas pedal almost ceases to function and all I can do is idle forward at 2-3mph. This may go on for 30-60 seconds but then normal function resumes, mostly.

Running down the highway, she feels mostly okay. Slight vibration, perhaps misfiring?

I’ve disconnected and drained the battery a few times. After one battery reset, she actually felt great on the way to work. No rumbling, all purrrrr. And I could feel the horsepower she’d been hiding. Only lasted that one ride. Back to inconsistent rumbling and occasional stalling (most often at startup).

So I removed the ecm and it looks okay. A little residue but no visible defects. Cleaned the residue and reinstalled. CEL still on and the “gentle” rumbling present, but no stalling or extreme struggling… yet. Took it to Autozone and codes are as follows:

Front

Back

I absolutely love this car. So elegant and rides like a cloud. After that brief tease in the highway, I am not giving up on this machine.

I have poured through the forums on both these issues, but I thought it best to consult y’all’s collective wisdom before emptying my savings 🙃

I already have a used replacement ECM I ordered, but the reprogramming bit concerns me. If it’s used it should already be programmed right? I’m just concerned about the issue of the immobilizer. I’ve seen people reprogram their keys using the high beams lever method, but would that work with a replacement ECM installed?

Also my gf works with microelectronics and she said she could replace the capacitors on the original ECM board.
​​​​​
I’m in the weeds right now and need a little direction

Old 09-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 766 Likes on 640 Posts

Silly question but do the wipers work ok?

Old 09-07-2024, 05:37 PM
Received 137 Likes on 99 Posts

One quick question - how old is your battery, is it a AGM battery? That many codes, and the intermittent symptoms you described, might indicate battery not supplying enough amps. Also, the possibility of bad ground comes to mind.

The following users liked this post:
RedneckinaJag (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 05:56 PM

Wipers are good.

Battery is a duralast platinum with a 10/23 sticker. The reading from AZ showed 11.92V. Where’s the best place to start with a ground test?

Old 09-07-2024, 06:39 PM
Received 203 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckinaJag
Wipers are good.

Battery is a duralast platinum with a 10/23 sticker. The reading from AZ showed 11.92V.
Decent batteries. Duralast H7 'Gold' of 10/19 was still 'OK' in my L320 at around the 5-year mark. Replaced it on principal.

Even so, FULLY charged, disconnected from any loads, should see a skosh OVER 12 V.

Make sure you have it FULLY charged and not being drained, check it again.

Where’s the best place to start with a ground test?
First, print yerself a copy of the ground-point location diagram from the manual.
IIRC, there are 36 of them on a X350?

Seem a good idea to have yerself a check list as you go!!!

Last edited by Thermite; 09-07-2024 at 06:49 PM.
RedneckinaJag (09-07-2024)
Old 09-07-2024, 07:04 PM

Much appreciated. I’ll test the battery. I’ve got the ground point diagram and will pick up a multimeter in the morning and begin crossing off. I’m looking for variations of >0.4V at each point?

Last edited by RedneckinaJag; 09-07-2024 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 261 Posts

11.92V, way too low!
Either completely discharged battery or dead/defective battery.
Start fully recharging it and check voltage again

RedneckinaJag (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 05:14 AM

I tend to agree with paydase; My three year old AGM, with ignition in the "ON" position (all instrument lights on, but engine not running) is 12.4. And when you start it, your voltage should be above 14.2 as it should be in the high charge mode as commanded by ECM.

RedneckinaJag (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 08:40 AM
Received 203 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckinaJag
Much appreciated. I’ll test the battery. I’ve got the ground point diagram and will pick up a multimeter in the morning and begin crossing off. I’m looking for variations of >0.4V at each point?
You are 'looking for' the cause and for erratic/intermittent behaviour more than the magnitude of it.

Oxidized Aluminium. Corroded / loosened 'washers' and terminals. Even a few that have a degraded attach to the sheet metal or have even crumbled to bits. Some may neeed nowt but loosing and re-tightening. Others you may need to fab a new post altogether - making sure it has GOOD conductivity to Aluminium and/or a decent bus wire from a better place.

Sort the battery ALSO.. if not also "FIRST", of course. You may not have ANY faulty grounds at all.

Even 'El Cheapo' meters of present-day often have battery cranking LOAD test capability built-in. That will spot a dead cell right quickly. My older gear (Fluke 77..) I just use an external load. Flash the headlights, (high & low beams on together) for example, is usually enough to reveal a problem.

Last edited by Thermite; 09-08-2024 at 08:47 AM.
RedneckinaJag (Yesterday)
Old 09-08-2024, 02:59 PM

Stopped at AZ to rent a code reader and let em juice the battery. Was at 84% as seen below

As I was leaving the parking lot it began to idle very roughly. I crawled it around the AZ parking lot twice before the rough idle ceased. Probably lasted about two minutes, the longest one of these episodes has gone on. Eventually the accelerator regained function and it began to ride smooth, for the most part, the rest of the way home.

Began testing ground points in the engine bay. Picture below of the ones tested so far. NR is for “engine not running” and R for “engine running”

I would note that the ground connections look okay but not great. Nowhere near crumbling, and minimal corrosion, but twenty years old nonetheless. The voltage held at each point so far. Plan to take a metal brush to them for good measure once the rain passes. Hit me outta nowhere 😅

one note about G26: the “NR” number for that was grabbed last, moments after killing the engine. Might have impacted the higher reading

Last edited by RedneckinaJag; 09-08-2024 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

If the wipers work properly then the earths behind the headlamps are good

The following 2 users liked this post by meirion1:
RedneckinaJag (09-08-2024), Thermite (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Well, the last symptom, "it began to idle very roughly. I crawled it around the AZ parking lot twice before the rough idle ceased. Probably lasted about two minutes, the longest one of these episodes has gone on. Eventually the accelerator regained function and it began to ride smooth":

I had the exact same symptom about a year ago. Drove me nuts, as it would clear up all on its own, as yours did, after two minutes of driving. And it manifested itself usually after a hot start (drive to store, restart to leave, and idle so erratic as to almost stall and shake like a wet dog).

I am 99% positive it was bad tank of gas and/or dirty MAF sensor. I did the following - put in one big bottle of Chevron Techron, and then cleaned MAF sensor with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner (see other threads for procedure); I will never know if it was dirty MAF or bad gas. Following a fill-up after burning off better part of original tank of gas w/ Techron, problem utterly disappeared and has never happened again. I know this does not explain the original code errors, but, when the engine idles that bad it can throw all sorts of codes cause its so close to stall rpm.

Last edited by ctsemicon; Yesterday at 06:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ctsemicon:
RedneckinaJag (Yesterday), Thermite (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Friend, I'm optimistic about this possibility. Cheap, easy to access, addresses multiple symptoms, what's not to like?

Day 3 of ownership, I replaced the fuel filter. Also ran tank to empty and haven't filled her with anything but PREMIUM in the month I've had her. Spent a bit of time researching bad fuel pump symptoms after problem persisted. The codes pointed to ECM... BUT there's an MAF sensor fault hidden among the laundry list of codes. Quick detour after work to get some proper MAF cleaner and cross my finger once more. If this doesn't work, moving on to O2 sensor cleaning and installing new spark plugs because why not...

Fun facts that may or may not be related:
There's no audio output but the radio appears to be functional, the dipped beams still do not work with new 6000K HID bulbs (main beams are good), parking brake fault, and the air suspension fault lights up occasionally. Seller sure managed to hide a lot, but who doesn't love surprises!

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

The radio sound may come back on it's own.
It has happened on my Jag 2/3 times in 16 years of ownership.
The suspension light may be just the compresser needs a new piston ring
Try replacing the light stalk to cure light problem.
Easy to do because it's a cassette and the wires are crammed in there.

RedneckinaJag (Yesterday)
Old Today, 05:15 AM

Just because Premium does not preclude bad gas....about a month ago, local mega-station nearest my house had to do public notice of contaminated gas. Was premium, (generally has slower turn-over in underground storage) lucky me I missed stopping there during the problem period.

Be prepared on the changing spark plugs - there are numerous threads on that one, reaching the back driver's side can be a PITA due to limited clearance. Many have done it (myself included), but I'm pretty sure most agree that having right swivels and knowing how to get through the bulkhead compartment is key. But, 90k is about the time for new plugs.

Cleaning O2 sensor is iffy - if you don't mind cost, I suggest just changing it, as extracting and installing is 90% of the work, and cleaning is not always effective.

Well, I seem to be full of opinions this am . Welcome to the world of X350/358 ownership; most reliable car I ever owned except when its not.

Old Today, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 799 Likes on 671 Posts

ctsemicon, pretty well says it.

Welcome to the world of X350/358 ownership; most reliable car I ever owned except when its not.
Best used car deal out there, when i bought mine.