XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Electronic engine oil capacity reading

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Electronic engine oil capacity reading

I just had my engine oil changed by my Indy with an OEM filter and new oil plug seal. Oil was changed at the bottom pan. I brought the 5 gallon Castrol Edge 5W/20 jug with 3 individual additional quarts, but held back one quart so that I could top it up when I got home myself. However, When I checked the level at home( before topping it up) the electronic engine oil reading read full even though I know it needed another .7 of a quart. I checked it in my garage on a totally level surface. I remember at my last oil change at Jaguar, the shop manager hooked up his OBD2 scanner right after an oil change which showed that my oil level was approximately 3-4 ounces under full although the electronic reading on the dash also showed full. I know as a fact that I am currently under approximately .7 of a quart yet the reading does show full. I've read on the forum, that others have found the display's oil level reading to also be inaccurate. How inaccurate is it? Will it only show under full when it's a quart low? I'm debating that I should still go forward and add the extra .7 quart to the engine knowing I drained it completely. Has anyone else witnessed the same? I know the 5.0 holds 7.7 quarts. I wish it had a dipstick, but it is what it is. Anyone else find the same issue? I'm not happy about this, because how will we ever know when we are low on oil? I love to be totally accurate with my oil level. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by bocatrip; Today at 02:44 PM.
Old Today, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Any feedback on this subject? Thanks all.

Old Today, 04:30 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,170 Likes on 817 Posts

When I read the Workshop Manual, it clearly states that the oil capacity of the 5.0 is 8.90 l, on the initial fill.
However, a service fill with filter demands just 7.25l.

All I can come up with is that the drain was done, but not all of the available oil had drained into the pan prior to the job.
Moreover, the Manual also states that the oil should be checked when the engine is hot. If your meter shows "Level OK" , the actual level is between 50 - 100% of the recommended level.

(I've gone through this with my LR)

So, my .02 worth... I wouldn't add anything until the oil level icon states to do so.

Last edited by guy; Today at 04:37 PM.
Old Today, 04:35 PM
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Any feedback on this subject? Thanks all.
Honestly, I'd not worry about it for a week. Even if it is .7 low, that's not scary terrible. I'd say the only thing you can do is obsess over it or trust it. Since obsessing will yield nothing fruitful, the only other option is to trust it. If in a week it says the same thing, which is probably will, then so be it. I find several factors vary my engine oil refills at change slightly so +/- 10% is something I never think twice about on any of my vehicles. Never been an issue in 30 years for me. That being said, I too just cannot ever understand no dipstick. It can't. W that much of a cost burden!