XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How would you go about two XJRs

Search this Thread

Old Today, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How would you go about two XJRs

I own two XJRs one a 98 with engine knock and never got it diagnosed after and over heat due to the coolant chamber exploding while driving high rate of speed and didn't realize the issue until pulling off the Freeway honestly was a dream car 70k miles and prestine I impulsively bought another one a 2000 this one currently has 113k miles and the only thing apparently wrong with it is the front shocks, paint job, window wiper motor, and a small coolant leak that I can't place my finger on. My issue is I want to go all in on one of these cars but I can't decide if I should go for the rebuild on the lower mileage car and sell the 113k miles problem is I ruined the paint just letting it sit in the sun so she ain't to pretty. My plan currently has been to build up the 113k 2000 and use the 98 for parts incase the trannies blows and I'm not afraid of a engine rebuild down the road truly love the car and would keep it on the road for as long as I could but I want to go about this the right way. Long term plans would be swapping the radio for a tablet if anyone has any insight on that as well as a way to make the cars exhaust a little louder but would be something I can revert to pass smog, and a push to start. Also, recently upgraded the rear view to one of the touch screen moder rear views honestly trying to bring a touch of modern to this classic.

Old Today, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 364 Posts

A paint job from a reputable shop is a "big ticket" item. So the real question you
seem to have is which car you "feel" is better suited to your driving style. The
changes you describe seem fairly even for both. Rebuilding the engine is probably
in the future of the 113k one as well, if you drive it often.

Old Today, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

Where do you live? What's the availability of technical support if you need to rebuild engine, or transmission, or suspension, or painting . . .? Which one has the least rust? Guessing the 2000 is the preferred for bringing up to a decent mechanical level.

Long time ago I had a really old Smith Corona typewriter (some of us old farts remember typewriters): its comma and period keys were stuck . . . reading your thread is like reading that old typewriter. Try using periods and commas to offset sentences and parenthetical phrases. . . Some of us really old folks get rightly pissed off when we have to read a thread four times to understand what you are trying to say! Please!

Tablets and make noisy engines and pushbuttons to bypass smog laws . . . maybe buy a VW diesel!