XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

HI question On crankshaft gears

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HI question On crankshaft gears

HI I have a 1999 jaguar xj8 and I see both crankshaft gears have a dot but I see the crankshaft key on both gears are not timed same like 1 tooth off from each other , My question is which gear goes to A or B side ? I know rest of motor uses no marks and you time by having cams on flats and tools to lock in and you put the tool to lock Number 1 on tdc , and then use tool on secondary chain to put slack on tensioner side . so can someone please tell me if I am missing something and nalso about orientation of crankshaft gears , thanks LOU

Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,121 Likes on 858 Posts

I’m pretty sure that you need the dots of both crankshaft sprockets to face each other. That way the teeth of both sprockets are *not* aligned.

I believe the reason is so the pins holding the links of the primary chains don’t get too close to each other and clash. Meaning A bank and B bank primary chains.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; Yesterday at 10:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Addicted2boost:
motorcarman (Today), RJ237 (Today)
Old Today, 07:37 PM

hi thanks for the replys I now feel confident on how it goes properly , also I got heads all cleaned up and valves decarboned I own a Neway valve seat cutting set up however on Mercedes and bmw nothing uses 5mm for the stems , so I suppose i have to make me a pilot shaft as my tooling is 3/8 for the cutter and a 5mm to hold tight in guide , I am really surprised just how well the guides held up threw this mileage on mercedes they would of been very loose , I remember 1992 mercedes 400e guides shot at 40k here is my heads ,I got valve seals in mail today with the cyl heads , if you look at valves i did lap the intakes look ok but I need to cut the exhaust I made a took for my evap smoke maching so I can seal on intake and exhaust ports and see if i have any leaks with my smoke or machines gage is shows a tiny evap leak here is pics of what i got apart I do have 2 valves I did not de carbonize yet or lap in just to show before and after , How does it Look ? thanks for info about gears I know Mercedes and BMW/have I rebuilt many engines transmissions , diesel pumps even rear axles and steering boxes , for a decade i was a rebuilder , but Jaguars not any experance on these I just never had any customers with them and I never owned them when I was in buisness , I am retired now but this I got into to help a friend who needed rear shock bushings and had plastic tensioners , I can say all rails were cracked and upper tensioners were shot , thanks all for info I really appreciate it guys LOU

Old Today, 08:11 PM

ok hit wrong button here is pictures of motor I got apart thanks

Old Today, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,121 Likes on 858 Posts

That exhaust valve…. wow….

Make sure whoever installs the heads to use MLS head gaskets and new head bolts. Have fun with the valve adjustment. I don’t miss that at all!