MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Turn signal flasher heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 07:10 PM
|
Default Turn signal flasher heat

Hi all,
I'm going through my Mk2 and chasing down some electrical bugs as a part of my full restoration. I have noticed that when I turn on the ignition key, the ammeter takes a good swing to the discharge side. The meter is showing more current with just the ignition key on than with the ignition off but all the lights on. I suspect it is more current than my multimeter can handle so I need to borrow a higher current meter on Monday. By accident I noticed that the wiper motor is getting fairly warm even though it is not running. I have had it running in the last couple of week and it seemed to hesitate to park. Is it possible the heat is a result of the unit trying to park and being unsuccessful?
To the subject of this post. The turn signals are working and the frequency seems about right but I noticed that the flasher unit on the desh is getting very hot. Almost to the point where you cannot touch it after maybe a minute of the flashers being on. I know it is a bi-metallic type and relies on heating to open and close the contacts but this seems excessive. The lights seem as though they are as bright as expected. All bulb are good old fashioned incandescent types. Should the flasher unit get hot?
Any thoughts!?
Thanks
Craig

Old 09-15-2024 | 01:03 AM
Veteran Member

Hi,
has the electrical system been changed from Positive to Negative Ground / Earth ?

Is the battery correctly connected for Positive or Negative Ground / Earth ?

Has the Generator / Dynamo been replaced with an Alternator ?

I would re-polarize the Generator (if car still has a Generator). Cars with Generators should be re-polarized every time the battery is disconnected and re-connected according to Generator rebuilders.

Instructions for re-polarizing here:

https://starautoelectric.com/instruction-for-polarizing-generator/

Last edited by Jose; 09-15-2024 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2024 | 08:41 AM

Both the flasher unit and the wiper motor are NOT polarity sensitive, so Jose's remarks do not apply.
The flasher unit will get hot. It is the nature of the beast. Not to worry as it is doing its job.
I suspect your wiper motor has a problem. It is wired to have power whenever the ignition is on.
Control of the wiper motor is then achieved by switching various earths via the wiper switch.
Try unplugging the power wire to the wiper motor and see if that reduces the high current draw.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (09-15-2024)
Old 09-16-2024 | 07:23 PM
|

Thank you, gentlemen!. The car is positive ground and I have no plans on changing that, at least for now. The original generator was rebuilt with new brushes and bearings several years ago. It is connected but has never produced any current as the engine has only turned on the starter so far. I assume it was properly polarized but I had it rebuilt years ago and I really don't remember my instructions to the alternator shop.
I'm going to step through circuit by circuit now that I know that the flasher gets hot in operation and that is not my issue.

Old 09-16-2024 | 07:48 PM

Generator polarity is based on the residual magnetism in the generator itself and does not require any rewinding or change in electrical connections to change polarity.
To change polarity simply disconnect the field wire. Momentarily "flash" the generator field terminal with the live side of whatever polarity battery you have fitted and reconnect the field wire.
NOTE- THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALTERNATORS!!
In my previous post I suggested that you should disconnect the power supply wire to the wiper motor.
I should have told you that it is a plain green wire with no other colour traces.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (09-17-2024)