F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight/turn signal switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2024, 08:00 PM
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Headlight/turn signal switch replacement

Has anyone changed out the headlight switch? My headlights periodically flicker and I think it's likely my headlight switch. Procured a new one and going to install, but came across this YouTube video that shows him reprogramming the module:

https://youtu.be/TvpigJsvlIk?si=BF1kAZrMAr4qviiO

I was thinking it would be just a straight swap and nothing else needs to be done - can someone confirm that this reprogramming is necessary?

Thanks

Old Today, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
Has anyone changed out the headlight switch? My headlights periodically flicker and I think it's likely my headlight switch. Procured a new one and going to install, but came across this YouTube video that shows him reprogramming the module:

https://youtu.be/TvpigJsvlIk?si=BF1kAZrMAr4qviiO

I was thinking it would be just a straight swap and nothing else needs to be done - can someone confirm that this reprogramming is necessary?

Thanks
So I guess I am the first to replace their light switch

Old Today, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 614 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
So I guess I am the first to replace their light switch
That said, might be a bad / loose connection?

Before spending any money, I'd be pulling the steering column covers off first. Re-seat any plugs going to the headlight switch...unplug and replug 3X.

Old Today, 10:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,154 Likes on 1,443 Posts

My bet would be on an intermittent ground for the headlight assemblies. The switch is designed such that the CJB should be able to detect a failure (though perhaps not an intermittent.) It doesn’t switch the lights directly, the CJB reads the switch position by measuring its resistance. But surpringly (to me), both headlights share a common chassis ground.

The switch just has a series of resistors, so the CJB can detect the position, but also an open circuit.

Last edited by DJS; Today at 10:33 AM.
Old Today, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
That said, might be a bad / loose connection?

Before spending any money, I'd be pulling the steering column covers off first. Re-seat any plugs going to the headlight switch...unplug and replug 3X.
Sage advise, thanks! I went ahead and bought another switch anyways to replace, but I'll probably try your suggestion first and see if it goes away. Thing is, it's intermittent and when it happens driving at night it's not fun! Still not sure based on that video if these units actually require some sort of coding when replacing them. I guess I could also try the new one and see what happens.

Old Today, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
My bet would be on an intermittent ground for the headlight assemblies. The switch is designed such that the CJB should be able to detect a failure (though perhaps not an intermittent.) It doesn’t switch the lights directly, the CJB reads the switch position by measuring its resistance. But surpringly (to me), both headlights share a common chassis ground.

The switch just has a series of resistors, so the CJB can detect the position, but also an open circuit.
Definitely worth checking - the thing that made me think that it was the switch itself is when it happens, I switch to a different mode and it goes away. I.E. if on auto mode I switch to always on and it went away. But the more confusing thing is I think it has happened on both settings so it also could be coincidence. Worth a check (I've had other ground issues on the car) - happen to know where this ground is anchored to the chassis?

Old Today, 01:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I was about to say no, I don’t know where it connects. But in looking for another document, I clicked on this, which does indeed show where it is. Ground G1D131B is located behind the box where you’d attach jumper cables, under the hood.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a1wz9...=u41y1ltv&dl=0

Last edited by DJS; Today at 01:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
bfrank1972 (Today), Carbuff2 (Today)
Old Today, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
I was about to say no, I don’t know where it connects. But in looking for another document, I clicked on this, which does indeed show where it is. Ground G1D131B is located behind the box where you’d attach jumper cables, under the hood.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/a1wz9...=u41y1ltv&dl=0

Terrific, many thanks, will report back what I find

Old Today, 03:29 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Hmm, I was almost right. The first diagram I posted shows a common ground, but that’s for the adaptive/auto-leveling motors. The actual lights have separate grounds - the right one goes to that previously described G1D131 but the left one goes elsewhere, G1D129. So if both sides flicker together, it probably isn’t the ground.

Old Today, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Hmm, I was almost right. The first diagram I posted shows a common ground, but that’s for the adaptive/auto-leveling motors. The actual lights have separate grounds - the right one goes to that previously described G1D131 but the left one goes elsewhere, G1D129. So if both sides flicker together, it probably isn’t the ground.

They do, but I'll check anyways in due course. My instincts still say it is the switch as I was able to temporarily stop it by fiddling with the light switch. But it could have been coincidence too.