Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard Vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2024 | 12:54 PM
|
Default Dashboard Vent

Good Afternoon:

I was wondering if anybody could give me a little bit of advice. I have a front dashboard event with a crack in it and I would like to replace it in my 2003 S Type V8. I have two questions.

1. Is that difficult to do?
2. Would the same part from my 2006 S Type 3.0 fit?

I have attached​ a photo of the part in case my description uses the wrong terminology. Thanks in advance!

2003 S Type V8

Last edited by Docmonte; 10-04-2024 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-04-2024 | 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Having gone thru this over the years you have several choices?

First is EVERY used one you get will be bad and brittle. The plastic is just old now and nothing can change that. Plus removing and installing this piece requires you to flex and bend the plastic to install it. And again the plastic is decayed and brittle so destroying it is a likely outcome. Remember even the later 2006 part is about 18+ years old now.

A further complication is the A pillar covers will also need to be removed and they are also plastic so they suffer from age and decay too. So you could easily start out trying to replace a broken defroster panel and then need to replace one or both A pillar covers as well?

You can try and repair it and this did work for me but only for a short time and it again cracked and broke. Various glues and using reinforcements under the crack can help. But over all it is again a losing proposition.

One thought is to place a dash cover with defroster cut outs in it and just live with the cracked plastic as it will not be showing. This can look surprisingly good if carefully done. I have seen several made from carpet that looked OK.

I finally just paid the price for a new one. It was around $300 and yes that's expensive! Don't know if you can still buy them new or not? I will say it looked great and I had the car for about 3 more years and that part did survive fine.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (10-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2024 | 02:00 PM
|

Thanks for the advice. I am looking to make just about everything new in the 2003 or at least without defects. I know that nobody except me will know it has a crack anyway....but it still bothers me. Although I wish it didn't....

Old 10-05-2024 | 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

I replaced mine with the part from a later model and mine is a 2003; at that time, there were none available new within the entire U.S. dealer network. The one that I was able to locate "used" was the wrong color and I had to have my body shop do a re-spray with a plastic compatible paint. So, I feel your pain. I don't know what the situation is currently vis-a-vis the availability of a new OE Jaguar part.

Some forum members advocate replacing the unit with one from a Lincoln LS, stating that the Lincoln part was made of better materials, etc.

Good luck.

Old 10-05-2024 | 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I see the part which I "think" is XR850941AMB (Mocha) is NLA from Jaguar so used will be your only choice I guess?
But I do find several that are not broken in the picture so maybe will work?
Used Defroster Panel
Defroster Panel in Canada

Here is one and he is at least honest and says it has a crack?
Defroster Panel with Crack

Yes the Lincoln LS part has been mentioned before the only problem is Ford discontinued that part a long time ago. Not sure finding one would be any easier than the Jaguar version.

Old 10-05-2024 | 03:06 PM
|

Thanks for the shout out. I wouldn't at all mind to have one painted although I think that my 2006 color would be compatible. Back to one of the questions; is it fairly simple to remove, notwithstanding the possible breakage. I see that the alarm indicator is part of the unit. I guess it might just un plug? Any special tools that would be needed besides plastic trim tools?

Old 10-05-2024 | 03:10 PM
|

Thanks for the sleuth work!

I see the disclaimer in the description of the item in mocha, that: "It is very difficult to remove these from the donor car without some of the pegs or clips breaking."

As you mentioned earlier, I hope this doesn't result in a domino effect of breakage....

Old 10-06-2024 | 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Yes one of the problems is the A Pillar covers are clipped into the ends of the defroster panel. You can sorta see where they clip in this picture.

So they must come out first and then pry the defroster panel up out of the clips. Which is where your likely to break things.

Last edited by clubairth1; 10-06-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

I could be wrong, but it seems that the lighter colored ones last longer than the dark ones; the harsh vibrations from a "washboard" gravel road caused my "warm charcoal" panel to fracture into three pieces during a one week trip to shoot a long range "buffalo rifle" match here in Montana.

Old 10-06-2024 | 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Now that might be very true? I had a black interior and all the black ones I came across were in bad shape.

Old 10-07-2024 | 09:02 PM
|

I will give it a try next weekend and remove it from my 2006 donor car first, of course. If it goes well, I will move on to the replacement into my 2003. Luckily, they are both the same color by the way.

About that security light, does it just unplug?

Old 10-08-2024 | 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

It is more than a "security light", it is also a "sunlight/solar sensor" for the AC system. And, yes, it unplugs.

Old 10-08-2024 | 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yes and you will be better off if you leave the sensor in the panel too. Since you have 2 complete panels each with the sensor this won't be a problem. Again I replaced mine with a new one which did not come with the sensor. Removing the old sensor from my cracked defroster panel caused more damage but that panel was getting thrown away so not a problem.

After all that I just tried to avoid messing with that defroster panel! Just too fragile and damage prone.

Old Today | 12:12 PM
|

Thanks all for your great help.

I was able to remove the Defroster Vent Panel (Demister Grille) form the 2006 S Type donor car without damage. The only issue that I have now is that I cannot seem to get the plug out of the harness for the sensor. I saw a video that made it look pretty easy but I can't get it out for the life of me and I don't want to break it anymore than I already have by trying to pull it out forcefully. It would be a shame to get that 18 year old panel out without damaging it and then crack it by removing the sensor plug. Any help would be appreciated, so far it still works in the 2006 car so I advent created any new problems in the circuitry of the donor car.

One other issue is that the wiring seems to have a special clip on the far end, passenger side, that I want to be sure of how to manage, again without damage to the panel. I have included photos of both areas to highlight my problems.

Once I am done with this, I will post all of the issues that I encountered, there were a number that I did not expect. The above two being a couple of them. Thanks in advance and I am sorry for the dark photo of the passenger side clip. It was the best that I could do.

Plug to sensor. It had some wings on the plug that I was pushing on that broke. The receptacle remains undamaged.

Passenger side clip

Old Today | 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Great job and I just had to fiddle with the plugs too?
Sorry it has been too long and I just don't remember but your miles a head since you got the panel out without cracking it. I can get them back in pretty good but removal was always where I broke stuff.

Old Today | 04:50 PM
|

Okay, it has been successful! I have now cleaned it and am ready to remove the damaged recipient defroster vent panel (Demister Grille). Here is what I have found in my efforts. I am not sure how many people will still be trying to complete this task given how old the cars are but if it helps anybody, it will be worth it. I have added photos at the end of each step to help with the descriptions.

The key to not damaging anything is to be gentle and take your time during all steps and of course, good luck that the plastic doesn't crack during the process.

1. Remove A Pillar Trim panels. In order to do this, you will need to pry off the interior door moulding as much as necessary since the edge of the trim panel lies underneath the moulding. I would start at the top and pry it gently. I first used a narrow plastic auto trim pry set. Once there was enough clearance to get my fingers underneath, I pried it off gently until it was free. One issue that I encountered was that the "tether" did not have a lot of play. It was difficult to move the piece completely so I could only move it out a small bit at the top and then had to lift it gently to allow clearance to allow the insert at the bottom of the A Pillar Trim panel to be removed from the slot in the end of the defroster vent panel. You can do this on both the driver and passenger sides at this time. Be careful with the fabric on the A Pillar Trim Panels as it might be easy to damage. Don't worry about the sign regarding the Airbag, it is not in there.

2. Once the A Pillar insert tabs can be released from the terminal ends of the Defroster Vent, use a plastic auto trim pry bar, starting on one end and work your way across. Gently is the key if you want to avoid damaging the clips or breaking the panel. There are six clips that need to be released.

3. There is a sensor/security light at the center (at least in my 2003 and 2006 S Type cars). There is a tab at the bottom of the plug that you are supposed to lift up and that allows the plug to slide out of the receptacle. It didn't work so easily in mine and the little tab broke off. I used a mini-pick and hook set placed between the plug and the housing of the receptacle to push the plug up a mm or so and the plug slid right out. Once you make enough clearance, which is supposed to be created but the tab that broke off in my attempt, the plug comes out very easily.

4. Release the electrical wires from the undersurface of the Defroster Vent Panel which is very easy to do with the exception of the last clip to the far passenger end of the panel. There is a metal clip that inserts into the undersurface of the panel and wraps around the wires like a burrito. It has two little cleats (teeth) on it that hold it in place. I was certain this would be my undoing since it was the last step in the removal and I figured it would break rendering all of my time and effort useless. I wiggled it just enough to get a mini-pick underneath and pried it free.

I will now show some photos of the issues that I encountered.

Interior door moulding pulled back to reveal the edge of the A Pillar Trim

Tether that prevents the A Pillar Trim from becoming a projectile.

Bottom of the A Pillar Trim Panel where it inserts into the Defroster Vent Panel. You must release this to get the Defroster panel out.

Release six clips on the front edge of the Defroster panel. Do this one by one from left to right.

Sensor plug, if the tab breaks, insert a pick between the black plug and the silver housing to create the space.

Retaining clip on passenger end of the Defroster Panel

Side view of clip

Top view of clip and wire.

Passenger side retainer clip inserts into this slot on the undersurface of the Defroster Panel

Undersurface of the Defroster Panel. My foam was in good condition. If yours is not, replace it. Notice the slot on the end where the A Pillar Trim panel inserts.

One of the six clips holding the Defroster Panel in place.

Cleaned up and almost like new.

I hope this helps someone. I am thankful for some guidance and reassurance along the way #clubairth1, #NvmyJag, #S-Type Owner

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (Today)
Old Today | 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Nice write up! Glad you got it sorted...