XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

sway bar torque setting

Search this Thread

Old Today | 11:51 AM
|
Default sway bar torque setting

Hi,
My nephew and I are going to attempt to replace the rear differential fluid on my 2001 xj8. And it looks like we'll need to remove the sway bar (i think that what its called)-- and once removed it seems like it should be easy access to the plug to suck and replace the gear oil.

1. Hand tight the differential drain plug? Or is there a preferred torque setting?
2. What would be a good torque setting for the sway bar bolts?
Thanks for any help! David

Old Today | 12:25 PM

Technically.............. It is not a SWAY BAR.

A sway bar is also referred to as a PANHARD BAR. (to prevent/control SWAY/SIDE-TO-SIDE along a longitudinal axis)

The bar you are referring to is a Stabilizer or Anti-roll bar.(control roll along a longitudinal axis)

Words mean things but it seems EVERYBODY calls these bars SWAY BARS. (incorrect)

Fill plug should be SNUG enough to keep from leaking but it is a taper fit.

The link arm bolts need to be tight and there are generic 'industry standards' for bolt size and grade.
I just wrench them tight enough to NOT come loose but not tight enough to strip or snap them off.(use you judgement)

Every fastener probably has a factory approved torque setting but I would spent HOURS looking up every setting wasting shop time but after 20, 30 or 50 years of working on cars, you just get a 'feel' for correct TIGHT ENOUGH.

There are critical fasteners that need EXACT torque settings but suspension link arms are really not one of them.

Last edited by motorcarman; Today at 12:35 PM.
Old Today | 12:33 PM

I don't think I've ever seen an American call anything an anti-roll bar, it's always sway bars when they talk about them.

I didn't actually know they were different, I just assumed it was something else you lot used the wrong name for (ducks) so thanks for the info.

Old Today | 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Language...and our use of it, is highly dependent on our audience. Our audience,
of course, is the source of criticism when the communication is perceived as
inadequate to convey or accomplish the intended thought. It has been my experience
that some cultures feel that it is their responsibility to oversee and correct any departure
from their own use of a word. Whether you call it a sway bar, anti-roll bar, or stabilizer
bar
, they all do the same thing. I mean no disrespect if your opinion differs.
This component is a part of your car’s suspension system that connects opposite wheels
together. When your car takes a turn, the vehicle’s body tends to “roll” or tilt to one side.
This is where the anti-roll bar comes in. It reduces the roll and helps distribute the weight
more evenly, improving stability during turns. This makes it easier for the tires to maintain
contact with the road, which can help you avoid spinning out or losing control.

But here’s where the confusion lies: sway bar vs. anti-roll barWhat’s the difference?
Well, there isn’t one. The terms are interchangeable, and both refer to the same part. Some
manufacturers might prefer one term over the other, but functionally, they’re identical. Our cars
seem to have both longitudinal and latitudinal control features.

Last edited by RandyS; Today at 02:23 PM.
Old Today | 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by David Squamous
And it looks like we'll need to remove the sway bar (i think that what its called)
Asked and answered.
There is a difference between sway and roll.
sway = side-to-sde movement along an axis
roll = twisting along an axis