F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIVE oil level reading mode question

Search this Thread

Old Today | 02:00 PM
|
Default LIVE oil level reading mode question

I'm a bit confused about exactly how to get the LIVE "right now" oil level reading mode to activate? I read what it said in the manual and it doesn't seem to be working.

So I took the car for a short run to bring the car up to temperature. I then stopped on a level surface and shut the car down. I immediately hit the ignition button without my foot on the brake to go into accessory mode so I could select the oil level reading from the menu.

As I expected it said unavailable. I shut the ignition off, got out of the car and opened the bonnet immediately, got back in the car, went into accessory mode again without actually starting the car, went into the menu and selected the oil level from the menu (it showed unavailable) and then made sure I hit the cancel cruise button 2 times within 2 seconds of doing so...

I was expecting this to then bring up the LIVE "right now" view of the oil, but it didn't seem to. It still continued to show unavailable.

I then shut the ignition off, closed the bonnet, waited 10 mins, left the bonnet closed, put the car in accessory, selected oil level from the menu and it showed a level...My understanding is this level shown is just an average and will not be the "right now" LIVE reading unless you have the bonnet open and hit cancel cruise 2 times within 2 seconds after selecting oil level from the menu. But as you can see I am not having much luck with LIVE view more generally.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm about to do the oil change on the car next weekend and would like to be a little clearer on this aspect of things before doing so.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I must be interpreting something wrong in terms of understanding this LIVE vs. not LIVE oil level reading mode? Not sure at this point...I'm a bit confused...

Cheers

Old Today | 02:07 PM
|

Would love me a traditional dipstick on this car ;-) Other than this digital dipstick stuff the oil change procedure on this car seems pretty nice.

Old Today | 02:31 PM

Digital dipsticks are awful. PLEASE, please bring back the simple manual version. Even if you also have digital level detection.

Old Today | 03:23 PM
scm
Veteran Member

AIUI, there's no need to get out of the car and open the bonnet, just pop it from inside the car and that's enough, the car will think it's open. Get out to close it, obviously.

Old Today | 03:36 PM
|

Originally Posted by scm
AIUI, there's no need to get out of the car and open the bonnet, just pop it from inside the car and that's enough, the car will think it's open. Get out to close it, obviously.
LOL, fair, I guess that makes some sense. I definitely was opening it all the way ;-0

I did find some post suggesting that you also need to leave the driver’s door open in addition to the bonnet, but the workshop manual said nothing about that. And the manual in the glove box talks nothing about this instantaneous LIVE mode. It only talks about warming the engine up, waiting 10 mins after shutting down, and then selecting the oil level from the menu….Makes sense that it would not talk in the glove box manual about a mode more geared towards doing oil changes I guess.

Old Today | 04:40 PM

"LIVE" works only with engine off bonnet open.
There's another way with engine running - a while ago Cambo made a post how to read additional PIDs (incl oil level, oil temp, etc) with a ELM327 and Torque app using any Android phone/tablet.
Custom PIDs for Torque App - oil temp, oil level, trans temp, and more - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old Today | 04:45 PM
|

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
"LIVE" works only with engine off bonnet open.
There's another way with engine running - a while ago Cambo made a post how to read additional PIDs (incl oil level, oil temp, etc) with a ELM327 and Torque app using any Android phone/tablet.
Custom PIDs for Torque App - oil temp, oil level, trans temp, and more - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Yeah, I had the engine off when I tried the LIVE but it it did not seem pressing the cancel cruise button twice did much of anything like the workshop manual says. That’s why it’s a bit confusing.

I’m hoping someone with the latest gen f-type can speak up and point out something obvious I’m doing wrong.