F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby oil level check.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 08:00 AM
|
Default Newby oil level check.

Dear all, I have drained the oil from the sump and replaced the oil filter. The car took 6.9 ltr. of fresh oil.
I checked it and the line is a little below the top, although the computer says level OK. Should the oil level be at the top of the line or lower?
I appreciate any help you can provide.
2016 3.0S F-type coupe.

Last edited by Kypros; Yesterday at 08:01 AM.
Old Yesterday | 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

You will not harm the engine if the level is a little bit low.

Note that the electronic dipstick (oil indicator) does not read low, until it is about a liter down...Still, no worries.

The following users liked this post:
Kypros (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:31 AM
|

Thank you for your answer, but I would feel better if the level was full. Your answer indicates that the full indication is at the top of the vertical line.

Old Yesterday | 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kypros
Thank you for your answer, but I would feel better if the level was full. Your answer indicates that the full indication is at the top of the vertical line.
Correct. I understand where you are coming from.

From my experience, if the dash indicator is one 'segment' lower, that is a liter less than full. One ltr will not result in engine issues in street use.

My garage is nearly flat, but the parking area next to it is a slight incline. That little bit will often show a less-than-totally full indicator on the dash.

If your F is RWD, the specification is 7.25, so it wouldn't hurt to add a bit more oil.

Kypros (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:53 AM
|

Thank you for your advice, I just added a little more. Waiting now for 10min. to check the level.
The previous owner told me it needed an oil change, but the oil that came out smelled a little burned. I don't know if this is cause for alarm.

Old Yesterday | 11:40 AM

Anyone know what each notch on the oil reading scale of these cars represents? Is the distance between 2 lines something like a half quart of oil? Just curious. Can't seem to get a clear indication anywhere about what the scale notches represent.

Old Yesterday | 11:45 AM
|

Mine doesn't have notches, only a vertical line with another much smaller line running from bottom to top when it's full.

Old Today | 10:39 AM

I have a 2017 V6 coupe that was built late 2016. In order to assess your oil level completely, do take a carpenter's level to make sure your car is level or very close to level. It's also a good idea to loosen (not remove yet) the filter cannister slightly to allow the filter to drain out. If you have an extractor, then even if you add a bit too much to top up, you can get it out. If you didn't put a bit of oil in the filter cannister at refill, that MAY be why you are a tad low. Although you are waiting 10 minutes, I would start the car, let it go down to idle, shut it off and then let it sit for 20 minutes. If you are not in a hurry, there is no reason why waiting 20 min. would hurt. You write that the oil that was in the car smelled burned. Did you put some flush oil in? A less expensive, but still same oil weight as the oil you want to leave in the car. (I used LiquiMoly, but bought some Quaker State in the same weight to use as a flush oil.) If you as the owner, would be more comfortable with the oil showing at its fill mark, then do that. I am not equipped with the amazing skill set and knowledge that some of the other members have, and so, tend to follow what I consider to be the safest route. My oil change in April 2024, was 7.25 Litres out and 7.25 Litres in, spot on. with the oil fill level marker met. If you still have the old oil that came with the car, you may want to make use of Blackstone's Oil tests. They send you a complete sample taking kit (bottle, bottle protection bag and box) Shipping to them is free if shipped from the US. Their tests are very complete and identify any issues they find (See their site for a sample report).

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...ree-test-kits/

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types/gasoline/

Last edited by Valerie Stabenow; Today at 10:40 AM. Reason: correction
Kypros (Today)
Old Today | 12:54 PM
|

Thank you for the in-depth explanation. I'll be doing all these you have suggested.