XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Oil Service intervals

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:07 AM
|
Default Oil Service intervals

Hi,

I'm looking a purchasing a very clean and well spec'd, one owner, XK R-Dynamic 5.0 that has done 28.5k miles (registered Jan 2015). Looking at the service history I can see that it is missing some annual services, but covered low miles in between those services.

2016 5,976 miles service complete
2017 Service missed
2018 Service missed
2019 18,017 service complete
2020 21,657 service complete
2021 24,472 service complete
2022 service missed
2023 service missed
2024 28,272 awaiting service, mileage from the MOT.

As you might notice, services were missed in 2017/18 and the car covered 12,041 miles between services. Similarly, services missed in 2022, 2023, and so far to 2024, and the car has covered 3,800 miles during that period. The next service to be carried at point of sale.

This is going to sound like an obvious question, but in your opinion how big an issue could this be? Are these engines very reliant on regular annual oil changes? My concern would be finding excessive oil consumption following the purchase as it generally takes a few thousand miles to notice a problem. This would also take me well outside of the 3 month warranty period offered by the vendor. I also believe that if there was an issue any warranty wouldn't cover it given the missed service intervals.

Your views would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Service and MOT's.pdf (63.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by SteveBRX; Today at 06:00 AM.
Old Yesterday | 11:05 AM

Provided that the car has been generally well looked after, it's no issue at all. For the last 55 years I've serviced all my cars and bikes according to the mileage schedule and never the annual schedule. The annual schedule has only ever been a ploy to increase dealer revenue. In fact, my VW which I bought in 2018, recommends a 24 month schedule and other manufacturers are extending this even further so I guess that their bluff has finally been called.

However, you might be able to use the "missing services" to negotiate a discount. 👍

Richard

Old Yesterday | 11:26 AM
|

Thanks for the view Richard.

Yes, I do agree that perhaps an annual service is not strictly necessary if the mileage schedule hasn't been reached. However, I have heard that oil can become diluted by unspent petrol that inevitably finds its way into the lubricant, thus reducing it's performance. My other slight worry with this is the fact the car was missing services and oil changes so young in the engines life (6k to 18k) which I would imagine is the most important period as all the components bed in as the engine is run in.

It will be interesting to hear other's views on this matter. Thanks again

Old Yesterday | 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

"Missed" as in not annotated? Was the service done DIY?
I've not missed a service since new, and only two were ever logged into wherever those things are logged. Therefore, my carfax or whatever would say "No services for ten years".

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (Today)
Old Yesterday | 02:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
"Missed" as in not annotated? Was the service done DIY?
I've not missed a service since new, and only two were ever logged into wherever those things are logged. Therefore, my carfax or whatever would say "No services for ten years".
Thanks Cee Jay. All the services that have been recorded were Jaguar main dealer. I don't know the original owner of course, but suspect he wasn't a DIY sort of chap. In which case I have to assume that they weren't done. You make a good point though, and something I can try and find out. Thanks again.

Old Today | 05:05 AM
guy
Veteran Member

In the first missed service period, the car travelled roughly 12,000 miles.
That is not the optimal schedule for an oil change period. Especially when so new. But it was only once.

In summary; me, I would not fret this. But I would change all the fluids and filters on delivery.

SteveBRX (Today)
Old Today | 05:59 AM
|

Thanks for the response Guy. In terms of that 12,000 mile period over the 3 years following the first service your thoughts match mine; the engine was pretty new at that point and I suspect still bedding in. I think this missed period is my biggest concern.

However, interesting to note that you wouldn't be too worried. I guess this is because there is evidence of further servicing over the 28k? Out of interest, do you know what Jaguar prescribes as the service interval mileage? Is it 12,000 miles?

Thanks again.

Old Today | 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

Soon as I found out how to get it done myself I've done every 2000-3000 miles. I just can't help it. Draining that nasty brown/black crap out and pouring down new liquid gold all while laughing like Dr. Evil in my garage as I do so. MUUuuuUUUUuwaahahahahahaha. I can't help it!

guy (Today)
Old Today | 04:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Soon as I found out how to get it done myself I've done every 2000-3000 miles. I just can't help it. Draining that nasty brown/black crap out and pouring down new liquid gold all while laughing like Dr. Evil in my garage as I do so. MUUuuuUUUUuwaahahahahahaha. I can't help it!
Thanks Lothar, you motor must be in amazing condition given that frequency. I think I'll adopt the same habits. Thanks again.

Old Today | 05:00 PM
|

Originally Posted by Lothar52
Thanks Lothar, you motor must be in amazing condition given that frequency. I think I'll adopt the same habits. Thanks again.

Old Today | 08:47 PM
guy
Veteran Member

Me,
Every 5000 km for the oil and filter
Every 25000 km for the brake fluid, coolant and power steering and air filter
Every 50000 km for the transmission and differential and supercharger
Every 100000 km for the belts, plugs, pcv, coolant hoses, brake lines.

The official service schedule is posted in the stickies. I always consider the extreme service schedule.

Last edited by guy; Today at 08:50 PM.