XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Installing new primary chain guides and they may be defective?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:32 PM
MWC
|
Default Installing new primary chain guides and they may be defective?

I purchased a new set of chain guides and tensioners etc. from Welsh and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with them. They do not appear to sit completely flush with the block as shown in the photos.

When the round end is placed onto the dowel the other slotted end where the bolt goes does not sit flush against the block. There is about a millimeter or two of space. I checked the parts diagrams and there is no washer shown so it looks like they should just bolt up.

Does anyone know if this gap is normal? You can force it flush to the boss on the block with a little pressure, but it does seem to bind slightly on the dowel. I did have these heads milled at a shop, so it's entirely possible the dowels got knocked slightly etc. who knows.

Just looking for a sanity check here. I really don't want to do this job twice...

Old Today | 08:11 AM
Old Today | 11:21 AM
MWC
|

Mine is a 1999 XJR.

Old Today | 02:11 PM

The parts you got in the 'kit' are for the 'silent-running' Morse style primary chains.(WRONG)

You need the blade and tensioner guides for the earlier ROLLER CHAIN primary.(2 straight and 2 curved)

The early Lincoln LS 3.9 liter use the same blades/guides.

I have heard that the aluminum ones like you have can be made to work but I just use the correct ones.

Last edited by motorcarman; Today at 02:12 PM.
Old Today | 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You need the blade and tensioner guides for the earlier ROLLER CHAIN primary.(2 straight and 2 curved)
Same with the 1998 XJR?

Old Today | 03:41 PM
MWC
|

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The parts you got in the 'kit' are for the 'silent-running' Morse style primary chains.(WRONG)

The early Lincoln LS 3.9 liter use the same blades/guides.

I have heard that the aluminum ones like you have can be made to work but I just use the correct ones.
Ugh. Does this mean I have no option for an upgrade? I absolutely do not want to put the old style guides back into the engine. The original ones were cracked in 20 different places and it was a miracle they hadn’t failed completely by the time I tore it down.

FWIW the chains that came with the kit are exactly the same as what came off the motor. I ordered the kit from Welsh and specifically verified with the vin when placing the order.

Old Today | 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ant305
Same with the 1998 XJR?
1998 XJR and 1999 XJR are both an AJ26S platform.

Old Today | 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
1998 XJR and 1999 XJR are both an AJ26S platform.
Oh ok thank you. Would you happen to know of any good timing chain kits?

Old Today | 06:31 PM

There are NO KITS that have the correct guides/blades that I have found.
I buy the original ones from Ford or Jaguar and I have never used the later Morse style parts in any engine with roller chains.

You can use all the chains/tensioners and new shorter bolts for the secondaries. (they all work)

It is up to you to decide if you want to 'adapt' the wrong parts to the early engine.(many have)

Old Today | 08:10 PM
MWC
|

Wow I literally cannot believe this. My only option is installing a flawed piece of junk or a guide that isn't meant for the motor. I am basically days and hundreds of dollars into a repair that is now a complete dead end. I am trying not to rage post but I am fuming right now .

If you have an early car are you basically condemned to doing this entire job every 75k miles to make sure those junky guides don't fail and destroy the engine?

Old Today | 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by MWC
If you have an early car are you basically condemned to doing this entire job every 75k miles to make sure those junky guides don't fail and destroy the engine?
Definitely not my car has 170k and the timing cover has never came off of it and still runs strong.
98 XJR

Last edited by Ant305; Today at 08:37 PM.