Anyone in UK with working SDD willing to help flash F type module at my risk

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Anyone in UK with working SDD willing to help flash F type module at my risk

I am hoping someone with a working SDD and VCI would assist me to

A) flash my 2016 F type touchscreen and audio amplifier modules.

B) assist by process of substituting my vci with your vci, my SDD with yours etc to determine which of my SDD software and hardware is not configured or working properly.

I have flashed touchscreen and audio amplifier and in doing so rendered them non functional. I only want to try to flash these two non functional modules to get them working.

My reason for asking for assistance is that I would prefer to also determine which part of my SDD diagnostic setup has caused the flash failure so I may not only successfully flash these two modules but also determine which part of my SDD is causing this issue.

I am moderately competent with IT hardware and PC software setup.

I have a 55A regulated PSU, laptop that currently has SDD 157 installed and a Vxdiag VCX Nano interface for JLR SDD.

If anyone is kind enough to assist I would be willing to travel to your preferred location at a time that's convenient to yourself.

Anyone able and willing to help please post reply here or via PM according to your preference.

I am based in Wigan in NW England but willing to travel any distance in UK

Old 11-03-2019, 06:32 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to necro but this is my obsession of the day. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm trying to decide on which VCI to buy and it's currently not even clear to me why the generic ODBII <--> USB ones aren't suitable leave alone why things specifically advertised as SDD compatible may not work. Any insights or do you still have dead screen and amp?

Old 11-05-2019, 03:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Chris,

Paul's question was correctly placed here because he is/was looking for someone in the UK with SDD to give assistance flashing modules on his F-Type. The UK & Eire Region forum is therefore the appropriate choice. Your question on VCI recommendation is likely to receive more Views (and hopefully helpful Replies) in the General Tech Help SDD thread as it is not geographically specific.

Graham

Old 11-05-2019, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Chris,

Paul's question was correctly placed here because he is/was looking for someone in the UK with SDD to give assistance flashing modules on his F-Type. The UK & Eire Region forum is therefore the appropriate choice. Your question on VCI recommendation is likely to receive more Views (and hopefully helpful Replies) in the General Tech Help SDD thread as it is not geographically specific.

Graham
Ok thank you Graham

Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by xrix4096
Sorry to necro but this is my obsession of the day. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm trying to decide on which VCI to buy and it's currently not even clear to me why the generic ODBII <--> USB ones aren't suitable leave alone why things specifically advertised as SDD compatible may not work. Any insights or do you still have dead screen and amp?
I got slightly excited when I notice two replies to my post !

The consensus view seems to be that Chinese clones of Drewtech Mongoose Pro (sometimes referred to as Mangoose) and other clones are quite risky for refreshing although may be ok for merely running diagnostic and resetting fault codes

I am still minus working audio and touchscreen

Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Paul,

AGREED - I'm happy to use my Mongoose Pro clone for diagnostics BUT there's no way I'd contemplate programming modules without:

1. genuine Jaguar approved VCI (Drew Tech or Diagnostic Associates)
2. up-to-date SDD with active internet connection to Jaguar server
3. 55 amp Midtronics PCS-550

You appear to have the right hardware. The problem is likely to have arisen either through not being connected or by using an "offline" version of SDD. The last version of SDD to be released bundled with the Jaguar and Land Rover VDF's (Vehicle Definition Files) was v150. Since then the VDF's must be downloaded with a live connection. The reason from JLR for this was the VDF's are subject to regular updates and it is a more efficient way of delivering the data. The truth is more likely be simply to make it more difficult for the Worldwide cloning industry.

If your SDD v157 came as a package complete with VDF's patched for offline use, it has to be suspect.

Graham

Old 11-06-2019, 12:36 PM

That's all quite scary. I'm a lifelong software and hardware engineer and the about of "fuzzy" dubiousness about these things doesn't feel right. Things should either work or there should be a clear reason why they don't. The PSU problem is one that I can definitely see plenty of reasons behind why that might be the cause so I'll definitely be treading carefully there.

GGG I'd have thought if that the online requirement was there as an anti-piracy / 3rd party dissuader / whatever that the problems would be a bit more predictable or that the errors were a bit more precise. If It were my software I'd have a "Hang on this isn't legitmate, I'm not flashing anything" type message.

I can see why given the risks involved that the stories on these forums are overall negative to using non-official HW/SW for these purposes but it would be interesting to know if there are many (any?) success stories of these things working OK to update CCF parameters? If it's never worked for anyone that's good info and if it does work for some then it'd be useful to try and narrow down the similarities and try and spot a pattern. I'd also like to know how the flashing works as if it's a standard mechanism then backups / rollbacks should be possible that'd make future tinkering a whole lot easier.

Paul, regarding your existing problems with screens and audio would it help to have it read by by iCarSoft JLR 2? I have one if you want to see if it gives any insight. If it helps I am at your service.