In car camera - anyone has any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Default In car camera - anyone has any experience?

Hi guys! I've been looking around at different cameras for recording drive time view (you know, all the ***** that happens on the roads, they seem to come handy in random situations). Anyway, there seem to be a lot of different ones, but a lot of the cheaper ones seem to have lots of different problems... Quality of video often seems to be too low very often to be able to read the registration number of vehicle, or the pieces of video that are recorded last seem to magically disappear... So, did anyone have any experience of using any of those devices, can recommend any particular product?

Of course, as always, expectations are high, but budget is low

Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default In car camera

I think ebay would be your best source, I have a HD DVR they are around £20.
For the money it works well, but after using it I wish I had the added GPS & speed feature of the higher quality units.
1080p GPS Car Recorder v1000GS - YouTube
That one looks good,
Even if you get the cheap one like me, I think you will be happy,
The only thing crap about the cheap ones are the internal batter, other than that I'm almost satisfied.
let me know what you decide and how you get on with it.

Stan
Originally Posted by FireCrow
Hi guys! I've been looking around at different cameras for recording drive time view (you know, all the ***** that happens on the roads, they seem to come handy in random situations). Anyway, there seem to be a lot of different ones, but a lot of the cheaper ones seem to have lots of different problems... Quality of video often seems to be too low very often to be able to read the registration number of vehicle, or the pieces of video that are recorded last seem to magically disappear... So, did anyone have any experience of using any of those devices, can recommend any particular product?

Of course, as always, expectations are high, but budget is low

Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Ok, 100 quid one in the video is definitely out of my budget But do you have any footage from your camera? And maybe link to the model you have? Of course I'm still open to any other suggestions. Internal battery doesn't worry me too much, as with little modification it should be possible to add a car charger

Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 AM

Firecrow,
never posted a video yet, but will have a go later today

Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Cheers! Would really appreciate that!

Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Default car cam

Originally Posted by FireCrow
Cheers! Would really appreciate that!
have to make that tomorrow, did go out today but returned in the dark,
also have to write my Oscar acceptance speech!!

stan

Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM

Wow, that sounds exciting! No worries mate! I'm in no rush to buy anything yet, but I'll have to get it before Christmas, as my trip starts on 27th of December

Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it helps i got a free tracker when i insured with bell. It might help if there was ever an accident as it can tell if you are moving or not and how fast you were going. Only thing is if you go over 100 thay will end you insurance there and then.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by fix it
If it helps i got a free tracker when i insured with bell. It might help if there was ever an accident as it can tell if you are moving or not and how fast you were going. Only thing is if you go over 100 thay will end you insurance there and then.
well, car will be insured in UK only for max 2 days, most likely 1... And whole trip will happen abroad... and not in EU... So tracker won't do much here... I want the camera for 2 purposes here then, 1 to record the trip, and 2 in case of accident (which I would rather avoid, as I managed so far as well). But cheers anyway!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 AM
Default Car DVR

Originally Posted by stanjag

stan
Well I managed to upload the file to youtube on utube for some reason there is interference on the lower half, that does not show on the video when played on computer, so ignore the bottom half,

I think that the that the camera might be better with a faster card I used a 32gb standard card.
I also noticed lots of stuff about car cam on youtube.
PS excuse the language it records voice also!!
The guy spit in the road, hence wife said dirty F

stan

Last edited by stanjag; 11-13-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 AM
Default Car DVR

have to say playback on computer was better than utube better colours and defnition.

Stan

stan
Well I managed to upload the file to youtube on utube for some reason there is interference on the lower half, that does not show on the video when played on computer, so ignore the bottom half,

I think that the that the camera might be better with a faster card I used a 32gb standard card.
I also noticed lots of stuff about car cam on youtube.
PS excuse the language it records voice also!!

stan

Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've been using this for the last couple of weeks:

FULL HDMI 1080P HD 2.5" TFT Digital Car Camera Video Recorder DVR Camcorder | eBay

Results are very similar to the clip posted by stanjag which is typical for 1080 recorders.

Graham

Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks a lot! Yes, I believe there's something about youtube and it's decoding of videos, that sometimes messes things up! I've had some strange things happen to the end of my last video I uploaded there... never mind though. I posted the same question on different forum, and been given link to another camera
Xenta In Car DVR Camera with 2.5inch Screen and SD.. | Ebuyer.com

which seems to have similar sort of quality and features. Opinions are mixed (as always on the cheaper products) but in general people seem to be rather happy with it. So I think I might go for this one.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think ebay would be your best source, I have a HD DVR they are around £20.
For the money it works well, but after using it I wish I had the added GPS & speed feature of the higher quality units.
That one looks good,
Even if you get the cheap one like me, I think you will be happy,
The only thing crap about the cheap ones are the internal batter, other than that I'm almost satisfied.
let me know what you decide and how you get on with it.

Stan
the thread is a bit old, there might be dramatic changes on in car camera markets, if a hd1080p car DVR was available at £20 2 years ago, then what is the price now? I am currently considering a hd one, any updates?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by cat89
the thread is a bit old, there might be dramatic changes on in car camera markets, if a hd1080p car DVR was available at £20 2 years ago, then what is the price now? I am currently considering a hd one, any updates?
I use a cheap ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the torque pro app with my phone. The torque pro app has a free bolt on called track recorder. turns your phone into a dvr, but with the added bonus of recording engine data, speed and GPS etc. Just need a cheap phone holder to mount your phone in the windscreen.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cat89

Well mines still going strong locks up now and again, and battery is pretty naff but use it plugged into 12v.
had an incident a couple of month back, bus pulled out on me, just a near miss, but the cam showed he put on his indicator after he had stopped.

I think the more expensive version would be a better buy, but this one does the job.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have fitted Blackvue cameras into my Jaguar XK8 and my Wife's Subaru Legacy Outback.. They come complete with a long cable fitted with a cigar lighter plug! They take a removable Mini SD card so that should there be an incident you can remove the card and replace it with a fresh one so there is no chance of the incident being overwritten.. A very important fact is that they fit discretely behind your rear view mirror so do not block your view through the screen in any way! It is illegal to have anything that restricts your view through the windscreen in the UK. The resolution is excellent, the models I have upon playback show your speed, GPS Location and a map along with a clear, full road width Video.. An Excellent Product.. Welcome to BlackVue