Clean Air Zone discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 06:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Clean Air Zone discrepancy

Hi all,
I am hoping someone else here has dealt with this issue!

Quick context:
My 2000 Jag XJ8 is NOT exempt from the CAZ, but it has NO Euro Status according to DVLA.
My now sold 2001 Jag XJ8 WAS exempt from the CAZ, but that ALSO had no Euro Status according to the DVLA.
Both have the 3.2 V8 engine. CO2 emissions are identical. - https://www.car-emissions.com/cars/compare/...,'4488'
DVLA mentioned it was (is?) not a legal requirement for car manufacturers to apply a Euro Status for cars.

There is a major discrepancy in the system. The potential obvious answer here is that the council are using the year of registration to decide if a car is exempt or not, but why was my old XJ8 exempt then?
Has anyone else noticed this issue? My car is NOT exempt in only Birmingham and Bristol. It is fine in any other city.

According to this article, "The information captured by the cameras will then interface with the UK government’s new national clean air zone database for vehicle checking and payment." I am assuming this is a separate database from what the DVLA use? - https://www.traffictechnologytoday.com/news...n-air-zone.html

I have disputed all my fines and when I most likely get rejected, I'll have to pay £600 which at that point, I will escalate the issue to mention the points above.

DLVA mentioned I should ring the car manufacturer Ro get it in official writing about what my Euro Status is. I hope they can't provide an answer as this will back my argument lol. Has anyone done this before?

So if DVLA themselves are not claiming a Euro Status for this car, what databases are these councils using?

Last edited by asjdhsajhdfj; 06-13-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you sorted out the problems?

I have a 2000 XJR which is not exempted according to CAZ checker. I have a jaguar exchanged engine to fit in but not sure if changing engine (a later one) would make it exempted or not? I called CAZ management once and was told they simply use DVLA's database and recommended to ask DVLA for changing the vehicle information.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zinnnix
Have you sorted out the problems?

I have a 2000 XJR which is not exempted according to CAZ checker. I have a jaguar exchanged engine to fit in but not sure if changing engine (a later one) would make it exempted or not? I called CAZ management once and was told they simply use DVLA's database and recommended to ask DVLA for changing the vehicle information.
There was no end solution. I accepted the fact that my vehicle was not exempt. In regards to your engine swap, you’ll need information from Jaguar directly that could potentially provide the CO2 and NOx levels, which could provide you with an update to date Euro standard. If you had such information that worked in your favour, you would then contact DVLA for an update.

It’s a major grey area that seems to have no solution. I’m not sure why certain cities deem it exempt, and others don’t. Avoiding the CAZ seems to be the only solution.

Personally, the CAZ was only an issue for me as I would drive through tunnels to get to my gym. Couple the tunnels with a custom exhaust, that’s all the pre workout I needed.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine it would be quite difficult to find these information as I got the engine from a scrapped car. It has an "E" stamp on the engine instead of the normal engine number. I will try to contact Jaguar see if they could help given I have the scrapped car number plate.

If this couldn't be sorted out, I will have to finish the project xjs pre he and use it as the daily driver around town. at least historic vehicles are exempted. Then mostly likely move out the CAZ next year. it's a shame that the CAZ boundary is only 100m away from where I live. I have to pay to go home.