Electric Aerial problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electric Aerial problems

Does anyone know of somewhere online I could get my hands on a new auto arial at the one on my 1990 XJS has snapped

Thanks

Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Weenie,

If the ariel (antenna) snapped but the motor still works as it should, then you don't need to purchase an entire new unit (motor and antenna). Instead, all you need to do is replace the antenna portion with a universal replacement mast from a local auto parts store. This has a telescoping antenna and a long, flexible, plastic toothed part that works with the gear on the electric motor to raise and lower the mast. I haven't done this in years, but the steps are basically:

1. Remove the old antenna.
a. With the radio off, use a wrench (spanner) to remove the antenna mount at the fender. Save this nut, you'll need it to hold the new mast in place.
b. Turn the radio on, and as the motor raises the antenna (or whatever is left of it) pull out the antenna and plastic toothed part. Pay attention to the direction the teeth are pointing, as you'll need to install the new mast with the teeth pointing the same direction. (The plastic part has a tapered end and is 4 or 5 feet long.) If the plastic part seems to have a broken end, then likely it broke off in the motor housing. In that case you'll need to get in the trunk, remove the antenna motor, separate the housing, remove the broken part, and re-install.
c. If I recall correctly, there may also some sort of retaining sleeve which you should transfer to the new antenna mast. It may be brass-colored. This will prevent the new antenna from completely exiting the fender.

2. Prepare the universal replacement.
a. Verify that the mast diameter and 'retracted' length are close to the original.
b. The end of the OEM mast may be different from the replacement. If you want to swap the ends all you have to do is unscrew them, and if the threads are the same they will replace directly. Otherwise, you can dismantle the antenna, but that's probably not worth the effort.
c. IF there was a retaining sleeve, transfer it to the replacement antenna.
d. Unravel the plastic part of the antenna and get ready to...

3. Install the universal replacement.
a. Turn the radio on and listen for the antenna motor to turn until it stops on its own.
b. With the plastic part of the replacement stretched out, guide it into the hole with the teeth pointing in the correct direction. (see above)
c. Turn off the radio. When the antenna motor turns, it should grab the teeth of the long plastic part. You may have to fiddle with it or try once or twice, but when the gear catches the teeth, it will pull the whole thing in quickly.
d. Re-install the mounting nut once the antenna is partially or fully retracted. (It needs to hold the mast base in place, but will slip over the end of the antenna if it didn't retract fully the first time.
e. Cycle the up-down-up again by turning on-off-on the radio. The motor should stop when the antenna reaches full up and full down. With that, you're done!

OK, that's what I remember of the process. If I've forgotten something, surely someone out there will remind us! There may even be instructions for this on the forums...

Last edited by mrlovt; 08-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrlovt:
JimC64 (08-23-2012), Weenie (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Default Great!

Thanks for your detailed instructions. I will have a look at this when I get home and see if I can get the broken one out.

Thanks again.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  19.3 KB

Be sure to keep us updated Darren

Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Thumbs up Ariel/antenna sorted!

Thanks Mrlovt for such a detailed post which was most helpful.

I have managed to remove the snapped Ariel and the motor seems to be fine. I have ordered the original parts from jaguarclassicparts.com and they are in the post to include a new set of wiper blades for the front lights.

I am planning to put my car on the garage section but can't as I am using my iPad for now.

I have a couple of other things to ask but are unrelated so I will start a new post.

Thanks again, Weenie