Headcount for UK / Europe??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Barry, once you've got the XJ you're gonna end up driving it at every opportunity, despite the cost of petrol!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up the car, the dealer brought it to his local railway station & I picked it up there, having got there by train. Bit disappointed it had zero fuel in it & I had 12 miles to drive home in her but he pointed me towards a local fuel station........and the fun began!
I got out of the car, put 1/2 a tank of petrol in & locked it, using the key NOT the remote fob and went to pay. I returned & unlocked her with the key & got in. I shut the door & all hell broke loose! Horns blasting, I think the alarm / immobiliser went off...I panicked & turned the key and all went quiet. I started her & drove half way home. A warning was showing saying 'check rear lights' so I pulled over, got out & found all was well? The engine had been left running & I completed my journey, warning still showing..
I pulled up near home & switched off & there were some chimes for a few seconds, then all quiet. When I tried to remove the key from the ignition, it would NOT come out!
Out came the manual & paperwork, me busy tying to find a solution..Nothing to help me. I thought 'try getting out & locking then unlocking using the spare key fob'. A traffic warden was patrolling so I started her & moved around the corner. Now the rear light warning had reset & the lights were fine, no warnings. When I pulled up this time, no chimes & the key popped out as it should...Maybe you shouldn't lock the car without the Fob eg.. by using the key? Am I correct..?
Hey, its a lovely car, despite the teething problem

Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 PM

Yeah, basically use the fob for locking/unlocking, if you use the key it does not disable the security system, you have about 30 secs to start the car if you unlock with the car with the key or the security system goes nuts as you've discovered. Once you start the car the security system is happy.
As for taking the key out of the ignition, take it out as soon as you switch off, and it won't come out unless you're in Park.

Can I offer you another bit of advice with regards to starting the car, big engined cars and these Jags especially do not like being started from cold for a very short time like if you just wanna move it down the driveway. Run the car for a couple of minutes - or next time you try it may well not start at all. As any car the fuel mixture is rich from cold start like a choke in the old days, if you switch off while this enrichment cycle is still operating the extra fuel washes the oil from the cylinders and the next time you start there is no compression so it won't start.

Last edited by djdex; 05-05-2011 at 04:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by djdex:
Alforest (08-17-2011), BS at 11 (05-06-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by djdex
Yeah, basically use the fob for locking/unlocking, if you use the key it does not disable the security system, you have about 30 secs to start the car if you unlock with the car with the key or the security system goes nuts as you've discovered. Once you start the car the security system is happy.
As for taking the key out of the ignition, take it out as soon as you switch off, and it won't come out unless you're in Park.

Can I offer you another bit of advice with regards to starting the car, big engined cars and these Jags especially do not like being started from cold for a very short time like if you just wanna move it down the driveway. Run the car for a couple of minutes - or next time you try it may well not start at all. As any car the fuel mixture is rich from cold start like a choke in the old days, if you switch off while this enrichment cycle is still operating the extra fuel washes the oil from the cylinders and the next time you start there is no compression so it won't start.
Thanks for the advice
I might have tried to remove the key while in neutral, can't remember for sure

Old 05-07-2011, 03:05 AM

No problem, now you know it's behaving normally you can sit back and enjoy the ride!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi

New Member from Gods Country (Yorkshire to the un schooled).

Excellent forum. The .co.uk version just does not seam to be that active, or pass on such a depth of knowledge.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Hello Another new member from UK - Me -

Chris - northants

Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Default OEM parts

Hej Guys , I am Belgien but living since several year´s in the Czech Republic...terrible over here what concerns Jaguar services...absolutly no experience,because of that also unbelievable expensive,they change parts who does not have to be replaced and furtermore they ask here about (even without knowing-experience) 100 euros for a workinghour.....yesterday I was at ATM ...now again the main dealer ....all these fools who where working in the one who went bankrupt are working there so nothing is getting better...and asked for the price of a coil for my jag x300 4.0L....unbelievable one piece!=around 320 euros without taxes!!!I have seen on the internet in the USA ...oem around 60 to 100 USD...does anyone in Europe knows where to buy these cheaper parts? would be a great help...

Thanks a lot in advance

ciao

Patrick

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Essex, anyone ? It's the only way !

Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Im here i think from mersyside

Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Hi, I'm in Poole.

2005 X-Type SE

Old 08-17-2011, 03:35 AM
Default SW London calling :-)

Hi all,

Am new around here, having finally bothered to register. Have been viewing for a while, getting some great tips and help!

I drive a 2002 XK8, which is a great car. I have had it for just over a year now, and enjoy driving it everty time I get behind the wheel.

I look forward to banter and tales of joy/woe about these fabulous machines.

I am to the SW of London

Al

Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Default Essex boy through and through...

Hi all - had my '99 3.0l S Type for 18 months now and had no problems at all...talk about tempting fate!
Damn good car - anyway, just wanted to say Hi

Grumpy.

'Time flies like an arrow,
Fruit flies like a banana'

Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Hello from "Sunny" Swansea (!)

Glad to be here, I already recognise a few users from the UK Jag forum

Tris

Old 09-03-2011, 05:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys
From Kent here but formally from Thurso in Scotland. Lovely car but Jaguar in my opinion has had on major fault that it should of done something about ages ago.... thats having sets of keys as instead of one. Had to give a set to the bloody wife, now i have to live with that mistake for the rest of my life.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Default Southern section!

Originally Posted by ben556473
Hello I'm from Dorset.
Me too!!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Welcome to all you new Brits!

Originally Posted by monticello
asked for the price of a coil for my jag x300 4.0L....unbelievable one piece!=around 320 euros without taxes!!!I have seen on the internet in the USA ...oem around 60 to 100 USD...does anyone in Europe knows where to buy these cheaper parts? would be a great help...
Welcome to you too Patrick, I'd recommend a few British suppliers, coils normally cost around £30, even if they charge the same again for shipping, it will be cheaper for you.
These people are well worth trying - Jaguar | Land Rover spare parts at British Parts UK

Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 AM

I'm in the /Europe part.

Bergen, Norway with a 2009 XF 4.2 supercharged. Since car prices in Norway are insane, we mostly get VWs, Toyotas and Korean waste. According to Jaguar Norway there are only three supercharged XFs in Norway, so it stands out a bit. Then again, if someone sees a botanical green XF speeding, I can't really blame anyone else, as it's the only one in the country with that colour (might be some diesels, but they can't really speed, can they?).

Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi just joined forum.
Essex UK

Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 AM
Default 'nother new member

hi all - Essex born and bred...

Grumpy

3.0l S Type SE, '99 with 100k on the clock

Quick Reply: Headcount for UK / Europe??