Jaguar X type AC noisy - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Jaguar X type AC noisy - help needed

Hi guys, I have a 2.0 diesel X type and when the AC is switched on and the centre of the pulley on the compressor goes around it sounds like there is a very noisy rattle from the engine. It is OK when AC is not on. any ideas, and can this be fixed without replacing the compressor.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It usually happens with the diesel x type when the auxiliary belt and tensioner require replacement. The extra load from the a/c highlights the problem. There is an uprated pulley/tensioner kit available from Jaguar for about £200. I'm told fitting it is a nightmare.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-JA...60865331451%26

Last edited by tomcat; 09-30-2012 at 02:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM

Tomcat, Thanks for your reply. It is only noisy when the AC is switched on. It is OK is not. I have purchased a second hand compressor with a guarantee. Do you know if the radiator need to be removed in order to remove the compressor. Any advise is appreciated.
Thank you

Old 10-01-2012, 02:07 PM

I meant to say it it is OK when AC not on.
Are there any tips for changing the compressor

Old 10-01-2012, 04:02 PM

I hope the compressor proves to be the noise, but the belt and pulley tensioner that drive it are a known noise cause, hence the upgrade kit. I have a feeling your compressor is fine it just causes the load on the pulley system to cause the noise when you switch on the a/c.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Hi tomcat,
I have already purchased the second had AC compressor now. Is there a way of telling if the pulley needs replacing or the tentioner whilst the belt is off ?.
Also do you know if the radiators need to be removed If I end up changing the compressor ?.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Quickest, and cheapest way is turn up at a Ford garage and ask them what they think is causing the noise. Ask for a quote. I'm pretty certain it is likely the pulley system, the symptoms you describe are typical of the common fault. With the a/c switched on the engine sounds like a JCB tractor. Lessen the load and the engine quietens down. Not as quiet as the day the car rolled out of the showroom, but a lot quieter than with a/c on.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Tomcat, thanks again. I have taken your advise and purchased a new crankshaft pulley and tensioner. I will fit these before messing around with the AC compressor. It will be great if the pulley and tensioner fix this problem, but I have the compressor to replace just in case. I will let you know how I get on after the weekend.
Just in case I do need to change the compressor do you know anyone who could advse if the radiators need to be removed as access to compressor is not a lot.
Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM

Access to the auxiliary belt pulley/tensioner is certainly restrictive. If you manage that job, all others should fall easily to you. (There may also be a long line of x-type diesel owners making a beeline to you.) Best of luck. I am unaware of anyone who has had cause to replace the compressor so can't further advise. Dozens have heard the noisy engine syndrome when the a/c is activated, all have cured this with the new tensioner kit.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Managed to change pulley and tensioner, but the belt is a nightmare to get back on. I am waiting for the special tool before belt can be put back.
Should be here by thursday, this will be judgment day. I realy hope AC compressor is OK.
I will update when belt is on.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Default Compressor and tensioner

Hi guys, just posted a similar post to this (before i read here). I have got to have a new ac pump as took to be regassed and pump was diagnosed as faulty. Also have the notorious rumbling from the tentioner. Can anyone tell me if the ac compressor is easily accesible to get a serial/part number to match up as the garage want it in for 3 days? Also, how long does it take to refit the pump and also the tensioner?