New to diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to diesel

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying a late model x-type diesel automatic ( and before the purists start ranting, yes it isn't a proper jag but have always had a soft spot for them)

As it's my first trip into the devil''s fuel and don't want to buy a lemon was wondering if any owners out there would let me know what to look out for and what to avoid. This is only 5 miles away looks good but don't want a wreck as it will have to last at least 2-3 years as a daily driver. If it's half decent or honest I may even keep it longer

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...=wn69lh&page=1

Last edited by GGG; 10-09-2021 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 10-09-2021, 05:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The only thing I read about as a regular fault with the diesel X-Type is the DPF. That one looks good but so it should as it's just been valeted. The bonnet gaps need a careful inspection.

Graham

Old 10-12-2021, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X type diesel

Originally Posted by cadwellb
Hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying a late model x-type diesel automatic ( and before the purists start ranting, yes it isn't a proper jag but have always had a soft spot for them)

As it's my first trip into the devil''s fuel and don't want to buy a lemon was wondering if any owners out there would let me know what to look out for and what to avoid. This is only 5 miles away looks good but don't want a wreck as it will have to last at least 2-3 years as a daily driver. If it's half decent or honest I may even keep it longer

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...=wn69lh&page=1
I have just done the same thing - needed an estate for carrying capacity and a diesel for long journeys and fuel economy, so added a late model one just a week ago. My normal Jag is an old S Type that I drive, and love. I decided on going lower price and accepting some fault, to leave me money to spend on rectifying the faults. The one you are looking at looks good - and you have the number plate. Go and check MOT history online - just type in the reg number and it will tell you when MOT is due, but then a drop down menu shows MOT history for each year - very useful to see what miles it has done, if it has failed a test, on what, any advisories etc. - the advice is always with X types to go for the most recent one you can get, as they were better built later on, and the 2.2 has a more decent engine and the 6 speed gearbox. If you can check the sills, do so as they can sometimes corrode badly. Mine is currently in my local garage being sorted out - no news yet but fingers crossed. I shall be interested to see how you get on. The mileage seems pretty decent- these engines can do 200K plus.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:30 PM

Sorry for not replying as I have been counting up the pennies. My budget is upto £8k and have seen a few good diesel XF or XE models . Should I splash the cash, join the 21st century and go for one of these or save the cash, stick to my guns and go for a decent x-type. Here's how I see it

X-type. Fast appreciating potential classic that I know and love. Cheap to run if you get a good one but plenty of old wrecks. A bit unrefined and do suffer from major mechanical issues due to poor build quality and rear brakes that eat themselves.

XF: Very new, modern and highly refined. The downside is that it runs on electronics which suffer from minor electrical gremlins, are not very cheap on servicing costs and have been told they're horrendous if anything major goes wrong.

As always your thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated from someone who loves the oily bits and isn't afraid to give a small amount of blood to the gods of changing oil filters

Old 10-16-2021, 08:14 AM

Hi there,
Thanks for your message - interesting dilemma and one I sympathise with. My X type diesel 2008 is currently in the garage as it was in limp mode. Tested and it is something in the fuel system. They have changed the filters and no shavings in the fuel filter which might mean the diesel pump is OK. The codes say the solenoid valve is faulty so they are changing that right now and will move on once that has been done. My own thoughts on which car to buy is - depreciation costs. That is the one thing people forget about. i.e. how long do you reckon you will keep the vehicle and what can you sell it for afterwards? In your case, the X type will cost £3000 and I would imagine (having checked your link to the vehicle) it ought to be good for some years - depending on mileage per year, possibly 10 years? Then you come to sell it with, say 200K on the clock - being a future classic, it should be worth something - but let us be pessimistic and say only £500. OK, your depreciation has cost £250 per year (£3000 - £250 = £2500, divide by 10 years). If you go for a XF and pay £8000 for it and keep it 10 years, what will it be worth then? £2000? If so, your depreciation has cost £8000 - £2000 = £6000 divided by 10 = £600 a year. But basically in the one case (X type) you've lost £2500, and the other (XF) you've lost £6000. So the XF works out more expensive by £3500 overall. That covers quite a lot of repair work on the X type if needed. The other thing is the enjoyment factor - if you like the X type and the way it drives, more than how the XF drives, and don't need the modern add ons, then go for that one. For me it was the depreciation calculation that made me go for a low priced 2008 X type rather than a 2009 vehicle at around £5K these days. I might change my tune if the garage don't get the problems on mine fixed, but even with a new diesel pump I shall be in pocket with this car. And it does look amazing.... Hope those thoughts might help? Cheers Alex.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:07 PM

Thanks oswestryalex

I used to love the old x-type but can't help thinking I should modernise a bit as I see both in my price range.
Having never driven an XF I'm really not sure as they do have a few minor electrical gremlins or so I'm told.

I'm not really interested in depreciation as I tend to keep and drive cars until they start to fall apart so selling it on isn't a big deal with me

Just a tip on your failing x-type. My old 3.0 SE had the same problem with occasionally dropping into limp home. Turned out to be a broken/leaking pipe at the top of the engine. Can't remember what exactly as it was 7 years ago but definitely remember it was an air hose. Me and an AA man fixed it in a car park in Derbyshire for free. Then again, your's is a diesel motor so probably v v different so good luck with the repairs

Old 10-20-2021, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the good wishes - possibly needed... now onto the dreaded injectors, which are all shot, but at 127K miles, that is not surprising. We may well get a diesel expert in to give it the once over. I remember a Volvo V70 I had went into limp mode due to a cracked air intake hose, so well aware of that one. Good luck with deciding on a vehicle. In the end, the great British weather may decide it for you - nothing kills a car like rust.... Perhaps the newer model might be wise?

Old 10-28-2021, 06:09 PM
Default Thank You

A genuine thank you to everyone who replied to my sometimes stupid questions.
I have chosen to push the boat out, upset my bank manager and spend 7k on a Jag XF 3.0 V6 Diesel
It's a 2009 model with 77k on the clock

And in true Jag diesel style welcomed me with the traditional message "DPF Full" which after a quick blast home got fixed.
Also needed a new battery but after sitting for months on a dealer fourecourt that's no surprise.
The only minor quibble is that parking aid doesn't work but as I don't use it anyway it can wait until I book it in to the local garage for a badly missed and long overdue service in the new year.

As my first ever diesel car, let alone a Jag would anybody like to know how I get on with it - good or bad?
And sorry if the pic is a bit big. Still learning how these forums work :-)

Old 10-29-2021, 02:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Good choice.

On any 'new to me' (a.k.a. 'used') Jaguar, I always like to do a full fluid and filter change to pick up on anything which may have been missed in the service history and give a baseline for future servicing. Think hard about delaying a service for two months on a vehicle that has been standing for some time and is now likely to get some serious exercise. An immediate oil and filter change at minimum would be prudent.

Graham

Old 10-30-2021, 03:56 PM

Thanks GGG. Was half inclined to get it in for a full service early anyway as it's coming up to the mileage when belts need changing ( even if there's nothing wrong with them).

Whenever I buy a car I normally stick it in for a service straight away so I know what's wrong Unfortunately money's a bit tight so might have to wait a month

Good idea though. Whenever you buy a second had car it's always worth the extra cost to get it serviced as a good garage will tell you if there's anything wrong or expensive.

I normally budget half as much on fixing it as it coat to buy but then I'm used to clapped out old heaps.
Now where did I put that socket set and circuit tester. Have a nasty feeling I'm going to need them :-)