New DRL's for my S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013 | 03:13 PM
|
Default New DRL's for my S-Type

Hi all,

First post, newbie)))

Just wanted to share my experience of DRL lights for my S-Type as I am pretty chuffed with the results…!

We all know how bad ‘aftermarket’ daytime running lights can look and how cheep they can look…. I spent ages looking into finding a decent set and settled on some Apollo Ring DRL’s from Halfords..

Quality OK?!? Not Hella but pretty good for the money. They feel both solid and well made..

Now here’s the magic..!!

I purchased them with the intention of replacing my fog lights, as lets face it, how many people use them unless trying to emulate DRL’s anyway..

I popped the cover off, remover the fog lights, bit tricky but not too bad, and set about working a fixing method that would give the OE look….

I offered the light to the trim I had removed as it seemed like a good starting point and low and behold ‘click’….! The thing only clips straight into the existing hole with a snug fit and looks like it was made for it…!!!

‘OK?’, I hear you say ‘won’t they just drop out..?’, yes they probably would with day to day potholes so I set about fabricating 3 fixing brackets and fixing them to the instillation bracket and side mounts on the lamp… One at 12, one at 3 and one at 9 o’clock, this way it was a permanent fix and would neither fall out or rotate. Simple bit of wiring and plugged them into the loom supplied and WOW!!! They look ace, really bright and look ‘made to measure and OE equipment…. Also dim with sidelights so totally road legal and no error codes on dash..

Personally I think they are a great safety feature on any car…

Check out my pics and if your in the market for DRL’s don’t waste money on LED bulbs for your fogs of cheep looking add-on ones… Go for this set.. WELL WORTH IT and 40mins total to fit..!

Attached Thumbnails New DRL's for my S-Type-1.jpg   New DRL's for my S-Type-2.jpg   New DRL's for my S-Type-3.jpg   New DRL's for my S-Type-4.jpg   New DRL's for my S-Type-5.jpg  

New DRL's for my S-Type-6.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by XSMULLX:
Datsports (08-29-2016), Sonspit (07-14-2014)
Old 06-22-2013 | 03:18 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum XSMULLX,

Very inventive and a neat upgrade.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and p[ost some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-22-2013 | 05:35 AM
|

Hi,

Thanks for the guidance, will follow your advice..

Was a little keen to share the info

Kind regards

Si

Old 06-22-2013 | 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Si, nice little mod. Thank you for taking the time to post and sharing the little write up.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Old 11-17-2013 | 01:40 PM

Just saw this, what a great job you've done there. Much better than those strip light LEDs that people tend to stick on their cars.

What did you make the straps from, I seem to recognise them as audio system removal tools?

Last edited by manycars; 11-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2013 | 02:29 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by manycars
Just saw this, what a great job you've done there. Much better than those strip light LEDs that people tend to stick on their cars.

What did you make the straps from, I seem to recognise them as audio system removal tools?
You may not get a response to this.

XSMULLX joined the forum on 17th June but isn't showing any recorded activity since 22nd June.

Graham

Old 11-17-2013 | 02:33 PM

OK, that's odd, but I'm sure I could fashion a strap from whatever else I can find.

Old 11-18-2013 | 03:57 AM
|

Hiya, yes, radio removal tools..! Had a load lying around as you don't see them much anymore. They were flexible enough to shape to the trim panel and the panel offered suitable support and it all felt very secure so figured it was an ideal use for them! Kind regards Si

The following users liked this post:
manycars (11-19-2013)