Oil change suction pipe cap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020 | 05:05 AM
|
Default Oil change suction pipe cap

Quite embarrassingly dropped the black cap from the oil change suction pipe into the engine compartment.
Questions.
1. Can i run the car without it?
2. Jaguar want £50 for a new one and the breakers want to keep them with the engine so does anyone know where i can get one?
3. Can i pop a pen top on it and tape it on for now?

Honestly two days of looking for part C2D3612 is starting to get to me. At some point I'll get the car on a ramp and remove the plastic undertray and locate the cap. Jaguar dealership was less than helpful when called. I was told they could order one but couldn't tell me what it's function was other than stopping rubbish falling into the pipe. No **** Sherlock!!! I might as called my 78 year old mom.

Old 10-16-2020 | 04:29 AM

No idea where you can obtain one, though I am really surprised a breaker wont release one for you.. as long as the hole is covered and there is no back pressure you should be OK - just fit a cover then run it at home till heated through with the bonnet open and monitor for issues.. if no issues you should be good to go.. at least until you get a chance to get her on some ramps and pop the undercover off

Old 10-17-2020 | 02:47 AM
|

I did as you suggested and as expected there were no issues. What gets to me the most is the lack of information generally and unhelpful attitude of my local jaguar dealership. I'm setting off Monday to drive to Ukraine where i live currently so i don't want problems. Only two or three dealerships there and the nearest is Kyiv three hours away.

Old 10-21-2020 | 01:58 PM

The landrover one LR013740 looks the same though can't be certain e.g. pictures over at https://ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DI...0/171695203800

Old 10-21-2020 | 02:07 PM

Looks to be one over at https://euroauto.ru/part/used/21743577/ for about £8, don't know how much shipping would be, but might be a cheap source if you can speak the language/find someone who can to do the ordering.

Old 10-22-2020 | 02:38 AM
|
Default Email crash

Originally Posted by sportbrake_phil
Looks to be one over at https://euroauto.ru/part/used/21743577/ for about £8, don't know how much shipping would be, but might be a cheap source if you can speak the language/find someone who can to do the ordering.
Thanks Phil for taking the time to hunt for me whilst i drove back to Ukraine. As per usual my IT does not like the journey, Outlook decides not to update emails every time i travel and freezes me out so sorry for the late reply.

I eventually put a plastic pen top on the pipe, warmed the engine as previously suggested without any issues. Set off from Sheffield, with a few stops on the way arrived in Dover and pen top still in place. For the next two and half days i forgot about it until talking to the wife on my arrival. So whilst emptying the car i lifted the bonnet to find FREE pen top still in place. No heat damage, no oil anywhere and no reduction in the cars performance. As a result of this i have sent my CV to Jaguar with other suggestions where they can save costs and therefore get an extra option for the basic price for future customers.

I will look into the links you sent me Phil as the car has the dreaded steering wheel judder under breaking so might be needing some other parts. Rear brake pads looking worn and discs not looking too good. While i've got the thing jacked up i'll have the calipers painted and decalled. Hopefully will look nice with PEL Black, chrome and red highlights theme that i have going.

P.S. Autobahn was so much fun but i was so glad i had rear facing camera on the dashcam. Need eyes everywhere especially with Skoda Octavia drivers with a point to prove. Some seemed to want to park in my boot whilst allowing a truck in the fast lane to overtake but it was so satisfying to leave them in my dust on acceleration. The 3.0L V6 performed beautifully and was a pleasure to drive for the 1800 miles.

Old 10-22-2020 | 03:33 PM

I'm glad to hear you got home ok with no leakage from that pipe. Now you've given them the idea, Jaguar can order the parts from a pen manufacturer, and charge "only" £45 for them! That site seems to have a surprisingly good range of stuff ( at least to me running it through google translate ). Brake judder is normally caused by either runout on the front disks, or disk thickness variation - think the key when fitting new ones is to make sure the face of the hub is clean, otherwise causes a little runout on the disks which causes them to heat unevenly and develop more runout ( disk warping ).

Now I'm going to be extremely careful with that cap on mine when I change the oil at the weekend ( well if the weather holds out ).

Old 10-23-2020 | 02:00 AM
|
Smile Parts link

Hi Phil,

Had chance today to look at the europarts site and i have to say it looks good and easy to navigate. Going to order the cap first (cheapy item) and see how we get on with delivery, which can be sketchy in Ukraine. Also not sure how Ukrainian customs will feel about a Russian website supplying me parts. There's a little war going on the moment and both sides being pissy with each other. I thought getting my Jag fixed would have precedent !!! My wife tells me that i'm arrogant englishman.......with a smile though. Ukrainians have a good sense of humour fortunately but you wouldn't always know it in their face.

Good link so i'll test it and post an update.

Cheers Phil