Reluctor ring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Reluctor ring replacement

Hi, this is my first go on this site, so here it is. I have a 2007 XJ Sovereign 2.7TDI. The rear reluctor rings have badly corroded. I'm getting the ABS fault and DSC unavailable warnings. I've read a bit about that in other threads. My man of motors-I know about as much about mechanics as would fill the back of the proverbial *** packet-says these can be replaced without replacing the drive shafts. I've seen a few websites, but had the confidence sucked out of me today when one guy offered my pierced rings rather than toothed ones, telling me they were the correct part for the car. They may be a suitable substitute, but they're certainly not the "correct" part. I wonder if the conflicting advice I've read about makes it less likely that a replacement of the rings is a better-if much cheaper-fix than just replacing the drive shafts. I don't want the expense after a poor year, but really need some informed advice. I trust the current mechanic as more than many I've encountered, including main dealers. The car has only done 45,000 miles. It was just out of warranty when the engine "blew up" and needed replaced; nearside catalytic convertor was damaged by main dealer during engine replacement (denied by them, of course!); had a host of other faults. Call me a mug, but I'm a bit attached to the old girl, and frankly, she should have a few more years left in her. Ok, so I need help, in more ways than one! Sensible replies only please.