Sat Nag DVDs new €42

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014 | 08:10 AM
|
Default Sat Nag DVDs new €42

My XK8 came with a 2006 disc and a buggered sat nag antennae; the antennae is fixed, now for the update, "You want how much?".

I have sourced a new UK Western Europe DVD at €42, it works, provides clear and updated info, especially when approaching junctions as it makes the screen split and shows the junction/roundabout you are negotiating.

We are going on the grand tour next year, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy etc, most of which is on DVD 2, this is also priced at €42. There is an option for the Eastern European disc at €42.

I was concerned initially that the updated DVD would not work with my system as the Jaguar Map shop shows 2007 as it's earliest option. However the disc went in, had a think and worked immediately.

Now compare the prices for discs 1-3 with Jaguar.

Disc 1 - €42 E-Bay £139 Jag €209

Disc 2 - €42 + East Europe €42 Jag West & East Europe - €389

They may be purchased from a very pleasant young Portuguese chap. (If/When ordering Disc 2 or 3 you will observe there is no option on the screen except for Disc 1. Simply place an order for Disc 1 and then email with your request for the other disc.)

Name:  DSCN0068_zpsf9c41099.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  72.0 KB

Last edited by Cambo; 04-07-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 04-06-2015 | 11:17 PM

I was thinking about something Just now..
in my previous car I had one dvd with western europe on it. I could go from belgium to portugal no problem.
but I see that these countries are on different dvds! !!
Whats that about ??? the last car that had me change the nav discs was the volvo s80 from 2001... actually it had 6 cd changer Just for the nav cd s....

Old 04-07-2015 | 12:28 AM

A few things to point out;

Robiz, you don't have an XK8, your car is an X150 aluminium bodied car, they are called XK, not XK8. The earlier steel body cars were XK8's.

The discs you have bought are pirated copies. Someone has got hold of an original disc and just burnt copies on blank DVD's. Then sold the copies to you.

Leaving the piracy & copyright aspect aside, there is something else you need to understand.

The map DVD's need to be good quality, because whenever the car's ignition is on, the disc is spinning and the laser is reading the disc. The discs get very hot.

The genuine nav discs are pressed, the pirate copies are burned. There is a major difference between them.

Pressed discs are produced mechanically, they are literally stamped off a master, whereas burned discs are produced chemically. A chemical dye on the blank disc gets burnt by the laser as the data is written onto the disc. This is why blank discs are a purple colour, and after you've written to them they change to silver.

Some examples here

Whats the difference between a Pressed DVD and a burned DVD

Pressed vs burned DVD longevity - Optical Media - Storage

difference between commercial and home-burned DVDs - Doom9's Forum

Long story short, your "burned" DVD map discs will not last very long. Some blank/writeable DVD's are better quality than others, but even still, they are never as good as the original pressed discs.

I have 1st hand experience of this. Even copies burnt on the most expensive DVD-R discs only last a few months. Whereas the original pressed discs last pretty much forever.

The final, perhaps more costly aspect. It has been known for copied discs to corrupt the navigation system, or even worse, to burn out the laser reader.

Corruption due to imperfect duplication of the original disc. Especially if the disc has software updates on it to upgrade your unit.

The case of the laser burning out is because it has to run at a higher power level to read the burnt disc, which it was not designed to do, since it was only ever intended to read pressed discs. The irony of this is that the higher the power the laser runs at, the faster it destroys the burned disc.

Pay your money and take your chances. I have gone back to using an original disc in mine, even if it is a bit out of date...

Last edited by Cambo; 04-07-2015 at 12:30 AM.