Scottish Independence

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014 | 09:13 AM
|
Veteran Member
Default Scottish Independence

If Scotland votes for independence next week, will they get their own regional forum here ???

Old 09-13-2014 | 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
If Scotland votes for independence next week, will they get their own regional forum here ???
As an Irish citizen I would then be forced to press for our rightful regional forum if Scotland gets one.

The following users liked this post:
andrew lowe (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 09:55 AM

The English might not get their own if they don't behave.

andrew lowe (09-13-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 10:11 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thinking about it, If Scotland goes, It wont be the United Kingdom any more, So what will we be called ???

Old 09-13-2014 | 10:26 AM
Default Well there's a thought.........Oooops missed it.

Thinking about it, If Scotland goes, It wont be the United Kingdom any more, So what will we be called ???
The Un-united Kingdom!

The Wee United Kindom!!

The United Fiefdom!!!

Or they could hold another referendum.

And let’s face it who really cares.:

Old 09-13-2014 | 10:42 AM

I don't know about a forum but they should get their heads looked at if they do vote yes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Five Speed (09-17-2014), Sharpractice (09-20-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 11:05 AM

Overheard this week in a local supermarket:

70ish lady #1: What are they going to call it if they separate?

70ish lady #2: It will still be called 'Scotland'

70ish lady #1: Well if that's the case, why bother?

Old 09-13-2014 | 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Lol, ...yes, no, maybe don't know is the answer Andrew

Hmmmm, good question, I guess we'll jump off that particular bridge after we see what happens Thursday

Originally Posted by bydand
The Un-united Kingdom!

The Wee United Kindom!!
The United Fiefdom!!!
Or they could hold another referendum.
And let’s face it who really cares.:
Well probably at least the 5.3M Scots and also to some degree the other 58.8M of the population that makes up the UK

Originally Posted by Norri
I don't know about a forum but they should get their heads looked at if they do vote yes.
Why Norri?
What the difference between Sotland and the other 65 countries that have fought for Independence and since left the British Empire, as below?
Including America, Australia, Canada and many others....

Link

Either way, interesting times and debate on both sides
Its just around the corner on Thursday so we'll see I guess!

Old 09-13-2014 | 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Power to the people!!!!!

Old 09-13-2014 | 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Why Norri?
What the difference between Sotland and the other 65 countries that have fought for Independence and since left the British Empire, as below?
Including America, Australia, Canada and many others....

Link
Canada was never part of the UK, nor did we fight for independence. We're still a very proud and loyal part of the Commonwealth. Our history is not quite comparable to either the US or Scotland.

We'll be watching with bated breath this week to see what happens.

Five Speed (09-17-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well probably at least the 5.3M Scots and also to some degree the other 58.8M of the population that makes up the UK
Not to pick on your answer or motivations, but only to highlight the number.

There are cities with larger populations. Switzerland is about 8 million. The Netherlands is about 16 million.

The problems go beyond whether or not a independent Scotland gets to use the pound.

That 5.3 million population has to support an entire infrastructure which is currently shared with the remainder of the UK.

Things that come to mind include national defense, meaning armed forces and equipping said armed forces; a full civil service infrastructure including a taxing authority; a diplomatic corps to support international relations.

There is a *lot* of *stuff* that has to happen to avoid being a poor cousin on the international front besides having a currency to maintain trade.

Was Scotland not really an *alliance* of the respective kings? That doesn't sound like anyone was subjugated ... more like a marriage, but now after 350 years someone wants a divorce.

And like divorce, there a costs involved ... huge costs that neither side ever really recovers from.

Both parties come out weaker no matter how desirable the divorce.

And finally, a word about the pound as a shared currency.

The UK will already face a devaluation in financial markets due solely to a separation. If the currency was also shared with Scotland, there would be a further devaluation imposed by the financial markets. Remember that the financial markets are driven by international bankers who care only about profits. Sympathy or tradition have no place in that world. The responsible parties in the UK are well aware of the scenarios involved. Their political masters will know how hard it would be for the voting general population to accept the effects of a devaluation come election time. Best guess as to whether the currency will be shared?

Last edited by plums; 09-13-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2014 | 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, of course there's a lot to think about & I'm not saying yeh or neh, its just a debate.

Having said that, unless you're a Scot, unless you've lived here and experienced the strength of feeling about the whole matter down many many years, I feel no one is equipped to comment appropriately.

Of course everyone has an opinion on the financials, the implications moving forward, the business and social aspects, but that's not quite the whole picture.

Plums analogy about a divorce is quite interesting, and yes, both parties may come out weaker and wounded initially, but thats no reason to stay in an unhappy marriage....lol

Onwards n upwards, Thursday not too far away so we'll soon see one way or another I guess.

Old 09-13-2014 | 09:10 PM

Well I'm certainly proud to be a Scot but you have to put the tartan and bagpipes aside and think logically on which way to go.

Even in the corporate world today it's all about mergers and globalisation to gain greater international prominence.

I believe the UK, including Scotland, should be focusing on making the country as a whole stronger rather than fragmenting it into even smaller more insignificant parts.

Which doesn't mean losing national or regional identity and pride.

Further to plums comments I'd suggest that the financial markets are already showing their feelings.

Pound Sterling - United States Dollar

JimC64 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Default Scots for Scotland?

Am I permitted to raise what I and my wife Chris, view as an interesting (and vexing) issue that has not been raised thus far ... and precisely because of that strength of heritage and "belonging" that Jim has alluded to. My ancestry is a blend of Scots and Welsh - one of my ancestors arriving here via "assisted passage" back in the 1780 First Fleet. Chris likes to cling to her Scandinavian Royalty rels, but also accepts that her heritage owes as much to the Scots via the happy medium of Viking rape and pillage.

We own land in Scotland. Sure, its only a nominal plot at 100x100 feet. We can never build on it, though we can, and did pitch a tent on it back many years ago. It's set in the glorious re-afforestation area beyond Glencoe. As such, this ownership entitles us at law (both ancient Scottish and contemporary British) to be known as a Laird and Lady which would be a right royal giggle at any Aussie barbeque.

Here's the rub ... even though we have property deeds that are willable (is that the word?) as part of our estate, at no time, have we been invited to vote on Scottish independence nor, when we made enquiries, were we permitted to do so.

Perhaps appropriate for what appears a divisive issue. Let's leave it for those who will shape and be part of Scotland's future (not past) to decide. We, as interested but non-resident outsiders, watch with great interest.

Och aye,
Ken

JimC64 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Oh ... another correction Jim. As for Mikey in Canada, Australia was never part of UK, nor did we fight for independence. Also like Canada, we did spend a lot of blood in European wars ... but after the horrors and mistakes of the First, never again under British command of our units. I know you intended no error or offense (and please be assured that none is taken) ... but, as posted by Mikey on this, we must keep the record straight.

I rather feel that, compared to a genuine aura of "the home country" when I was growing up here in the 50s, it was Britain that started closing its markets to us, then the Commonwealth generally, before leaping into bed with the Europeans. All for the best from where we and our economy sits ... we were forced to look to Asia, and we now meet as far more mature partners. Having started as Britain's garbage dump (LOL), we awoke to resources, weather and lifestyle now envied elsewhere.

I am sincere in joining Mikey to wish all Scots, indeed all Brits, a bonny future after Thursday because ... as we have each said ... we watch with great interest.

Regards,
Ken

JimC64 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 10:44 PM

You feel aggrieved Ken? Spare a thought for me, Scottish born and bred, paid taxes all my life, still own property and still paying taxes and expecting to continue regardless of whose coffers they go into and do I get a vote, hell no.
But some 16 year old kid who just wants to paint his face and wave a Scottish flag at the football, his vote will count.

JimC64 (09-14-2014)
Old 09-13-2014 | 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Och ... so it doesn't bother you then, Norri?

Sorry, lousy timing for a joke. No, I don't feel aggrieved Norri, as you must. I do feel somewhat sad at the divisiveness provoked by the issue ... I guess the legacy of those 350 years. I guess that, if the first cut is the deepest ... then that overlay of heritage, property rights and of "belonging" ... therefore wanting and deserving a "say" ... cuts deep indeed.

Our 90s visit to the Highlands was also a time of high emotions ... a bright young Tony Blair was up for PM; Wales stood for self determination; Scots seemed unsure then ... and all the glens seemed full of lost opportunities, high taxation, and a sense of pervading tiredness and sadness amongst some of the most majestic scenery in the world.

Yes Norri ... the glens do call ... but these days, they call from far, far away.
Take care,

Ken

Old 09-14-2014 | 12:45 AM

Que Sera Sera as they say Ken!

I hope it turns out better than the '78 World Cup.

Old 09-14-2014 | 01:55 AM
Old 09-14-2014 | 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Its not 350 years Ken, more like 700+
Thats more than some countries have been in existance.

Either way, its only a few days away and the calls on both sides are getting louder as we speak, its a topic on everyones mind, young and old alike.

I feel that no matter which way it falls, we'll have problems, perhaps a country divided in itself as the vote seems almost split 50/50

In the end half of the country will be singing from the rooftops. the other half, not so much, time will tell.

http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9UM5iL...4rZqQoSzoXfoc-

cat_as_trophy (09-14-2014)

Quick Reply: Scottish Independence