STR & Accelera Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default STR & Accelera Tyres

Unfortunately after a check I have a set of accelera tyres with 5mm of tread on each corner. They came with the car. I have not read any good comments about these tyres, I did manage to slide the back on a wet road some days ago which prompted me to investigate further, they were obviously put on the STR to get it through the MOT the cost would have been approximately £400. Has anybody heard anything about these cheap bucket tyre. I would not have thought they would be the best sort of tyre to put on an STR.
I have ordered a set of Pirellli P Zero. I should be a lot safer with these shoes at a total fitted cost of £1000.00.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM

I now have for sale 2 x 275 x 30 x R19 and 2 x 245 x 35 x R19 at a cost of £50 each tyre used for 50 miles in perfect condition if you want them you will have to pick up. If anybody is interested just pm me to discuss. They will do as a second set for someone who has the space I don't so they have got to go. If I had the space I would be keeping them as a spare set.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 AM

Good news on the set of Accelera tyres that came with my STR.

I replaced the tyres with a new set of Pirelli P Zero cost £1000.00 and sold the Accelera tyres on eBay for the sum of £200.00.

Guy Salmon contributed £450.00 towards the cost of the new set of Pirelli,s. Very nice jesture, but very typical of the service I have always received from this dealer, all around great result.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  19.3 KB

Sorry Mac, just seeing this thread now.

Accelera tyres, cheap Chinese type tyre and not the best

I've been doing some research myself lately as I will soon be needing tyres for my A6, probably only 2 for the front but I do like to replace them in sets if I can, and usually have in the past.

As et of 19's in premium branding such as Pirelli, Conti or Bridgestones come in at around £1200, the Acceleras as you say would be around £500 at a guess.

The main difference is I believe in the tread and compound used

There's treadwear, temp range and other factors to be taken into account........As you say the Acceleras would "give" meaning the car breaks away in the bends much sooner and less predictably than with quality rubber.....hence the price differential.

A tyre I've been looking at / considering for the future is Barum Bravuris, a mid range tyre made by Continental.

see below.....

Continental Sport Contact3 280 AA A
Barum Bravuris 2 360 A A

The only difference I can see is the "traction" where Conti has a Double A rating as against Barums A
AA is excellent
A is good

The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear of a tire when tested carefully under controlled conditions. For example the useful tread on a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200. However, another tire manufacturer may grade a comparable design 300, so a grade of 150 would last just half as long under their grading scheme. The lesson learned is to not use one manufacturer's grade versus the other, but instead to compare tire grades within a given brand. Actual treadwear performance can vary tremendously according to the tire's real-world use. Variations in driving habits, service practices (most importantly air pressure maintenance), road conditions and climate affect tire life.
Traction grades represent the tire's ability to stop on wet
pavement pavement
as measured under controlled conditions on asphalt and concrete test surfaces. As of 1997, the traction grades from highest to lowest are "AA","A","B" and "C". A tire graded "AA" may have relatively better traction performance than a tire graded lower, based on straight-ahead braking tests. The grades do not take into consideration the cornering or turning performance of a tire.

Temperature grades represent a tire's resistance to heat and its ability to dissipate heat when tested under controlled laboratory test conditions. The grades from highest to lowest are "A","B" and "C". The grade "C" corresponds to the minimum performance required by federal safety standard. Therefore, the "A" tire is the coolest running, and even though the "C" tire runs hotter it does not mean it is unsafe. The temperature grade is established for a tire that is properly inflated and not overloaded.

The Barum would seem to be a harder wearing tyre which should last longer and obviously as its a harder compound traction won't
be quite as good...

All really moot now as you've got the issue sorted and done exactly what I would have done and have in the past.

Thanks for sharing