Unable to open passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 05:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to open passenger door

The hanbook states that if you operate the door handle while attempting to unlock the vehicle can cause the security system to ignore any unlock. this seems to have happened with my XE and I tried to contact Jaguar to find out what to do without any luck. Does anyone know what to do tolet me unlock that door.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:06 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Hi Eswedo, Usually if you have that issue relocking the car, deadlocking it and then unlocking it will release it and this is across most models of Jaguar - it may be that you have an issue with the lock itself, actuator or cabling to it.. however your best bet is to re piost this question in the XE section here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xe-x760-85/ where you will find a huge collection of XE owners who can assist you more specifically. Very best regards, Steve

Old 01-06-2020, 07:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Eswedo,

I agree with Steve that the first action should be to go through the Lock/Unlock cycle again.

The XE is available with or without Passive Entry. You don't mention which you have. Also the vehicle can be configured for single point entry. When that is the current security setting, if the driver’s door is opened, only the driver’s door will be unlocked. All other doors and the luggage compartment will remain locked.

If you can get into the vehicle, you could simply open the passenger door with the interior handle.

Graham

Old 01-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Thank you Steve,
However that was the first thing I tried. Also as the outside handle and the inside one use seperate cables I do not think it is a problem with the cables. The handbook indicates it is the security system that locks that door out. But does not indicate how to overcome the problem.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Hi Graham, Unfortunely the car was deadlocked when this happended and it is only the front passenger door that will not unlock. Tried contacting Jaguar but did not get any help. They just want me to take it to a dealer.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:55 AM
GGG

I'll bet they do!

Is the doorlatch effectively dead - nothing happens when operating either exterior or interior handle?

Graham

Old 01-06-2020, 08:09 AM

YES

Old 01-06-2020, 09:01 AM
GGG

After some digging in the XE Workshop Manual, I've found an explanation for what has happened:

When the vehicle is locked, the locking motors disengage the door latches from the exterior handle release cables. Where fitted, the double locking motors disengage the door latches from the interior handle release cables when the vehicle is double locked. When the vehicle is subsequently unlocked, the release cables are re-engaged with the door latches.

The situation you describe must be that the release cables on the passenger door have not been re-engaged. Is there an emergency key blade insert slot on the XE passenger door handle?

There is on my XK but I haven't noticed on the times I've had an XE loaner if it's the same. If it has one on the passenger door, this is a mechanical unlock which doesn't depend on the door handle cables.

Graham

Old 01-06-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
After some digging in the XE Workshop Manual, I've found an explanation for what has happened:

When the vehicle is locked, the locking motors disengage the door latches from the exterior handle release cables. Where fitted, the double locking motors disengage the door latches from the interior handle release cables when the vehicle is double locked. When the vehicle is subsequently unlocked, the release cables are re-engaged with the door latches.

The situation you describe must be that the release cables on the passenger door have not been re-engaged. Is there an emergency key blade insert slot on the XE passenger door handle?

There is on my XK but I haven't noticed on the times I've had an XE loaner if it's the same. If it has one on the passenger door, this is a mechanical unlock which doesn't depend on the door handle cables.

Graham
Unfortunately there is only one on the drivers door. The owners manual seems to suggest that it is the security system that is causing the problem, but I do not know how to reset it. Thank you for your suggestions.