US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

Low Country of South Carolina?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could possibly be up for something on Sunday or Monday, likely just having family come by for pool and cook outs this weekend and of course watching some football!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Sunday or Monday should work for me as well. I'm in Atlanta until later tonight, but wide open for Sunday and Monday.

Throwing an idea out. There's a great cigar shop on Hilton head that serves beer and wine and has 2 lounge areas with TVs. Some great restaurants around it as well. Might be a good meet up place.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Oh yeah, I can work with the manager to swing some sort of special for us at the cigar shop if we are gonna have several people. I can find a cigar in his humidor that'll meet just about anyone's needs as well.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 AM

I am not sure when this is planed. maybe we set something up a couple of weeks in advance. It would be cool to maybe start something at the jaguar dealership in Bluffton, maybe get them to give us some service tips and show us some cars, then ride out for lunch somewhere either in Hilton Head of maybe downtown Savannah. Just a thought. I do have things booked for September 8th and 22nd but maybe the weekend between the 8th and the 22nd could possible. Would that be something people be willing to come out for? I can make some calls to the dealership and try to find a restaurant if that idea is something people like. Hopefully we can get between 5 -10 cars. Do a caravan from the dealership to the restaurant.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM

There's a great little Cajun place in ridgeland, not to far from the dealer. It's called 'old house smoke house'

Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 AM

So can we get a group together for September 15th or the 29th. Post the this thread who is in and what Saturday. Hopefully we can get at least 5-10 cars and 8-20 people to have a good crowd. I am happy to check with the dealership and The Old House Smoke House when we know numbers. This gives us enough time to plan it and coordinate.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM

Ok folks. I talked to the Jaguar dealership and they will be happy to host us September 29th. Maybe around 10:00 AM for the coffee and doughnuts and show us the new J type or other cars. After getting to know each other we could try that Cajun place in Ridgeland that was suggested by HhisIII. Who would be in? I have to give a head count to the dealership as soon as we can and we will need to set up the lunch at the restaurant. Do have a contact there HhisIII?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 6,314 Likes on 5,501 Posts

David, you might be better to start a new thread for this with a title that will catch the eye of people who haven't been following this one.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 AM

will do thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Looking for Independent Jaguar Service Tech/Shop In Charleston SC

Has anybody had a good experience lately?

There used to be an independent shop in Mt. Pleasant run by a fellow named Rhors or Rhor?

He closed his shop but may be working somewhere.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Received 4,285 Likes on 3,704 Posts

Robert - Baker is outrageous but what can one expect from the dealership. I have heard Charleston Import Automotive is a good shop - but appointment only. Have not had used them but may consider if the situation warrants.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Thanks Sklimmi,

Baker is horrible. I have had to deal with them a few times over many years and always left feeling taken. Mostly just purchasing Mercedes parts. If they could mess it up they did.

Also, once had a leak on a water pump on a 89 Range Rover and I thought I would let them handle it instead of doing it myself. They quoted over $ 600.00 and that was 10 years ago. I asked why so high? The service writer said they had to go underneath the car and remove lots of parts to get to the water pump. I knew that was wrong. The old Range Rover engines were just Buick engines from the early 60s. The pump even looked like one off a 350 Chevy. Tho it was aluminium instead of cast iron. Did it myself and would have taken an hour if I would have realized the fan was mounted with left handed threads. Boink!

So I am not wanting to take it to Baker.

I saw Charleston Import up off of Ashley Phos advertised but did not know what to expect. Do you have some direct feedback? And did you ever hear of that place in Mt. Pleasant I mentioned?

How about the German Automotive place in Summerville that says they work on Jags?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 AM

Robert,

Understand your pain with Baker - had similar experiences with them but gave them first shot since I had purchased the car from them, they were 5 minutes from where I work and I could get a loaner. The last straw was their $1700 estimate to replace the BPM (tail lights had gone out) with the BPM cost itself at $1268. Through this forum found that the ground lead on both tail light blocks had fried so did the repair myself.

As for the one off of Ashely Phosphate, their web site shows specialization in British vehicles/repairs/restorations so they may be pricey as well but they also offer a parts warehouse - so I intend to check them out for some items I need.

The one I had been referred to is on Meeting Street - CIA Charlestowne's Import and they supposedly specialize in Jags - again have not used them but have a coworker who had bought a Jag for her daughter and they did some work on the car until the girl drove it into the pluff mud and totalled it.

Was not aware of the place in Summerville but will need to chelc them out.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
RRT
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Charleston Import Auto on Stanton Court, off of Ashley Phosphate, is a fine qualified shop. They have Jaguar diagnostic software and equipment. Darryl and Julie Beech run the place, and have for probably two decades.

Whether the car's an antique or modern, you'll have no issues with work performed there.

I've known Darryl and Julie for 15 yrs.

84 XJ-S 3.6 5 speed
03 STR
05 S-Type 4.2
67 E Type roadster (sold)
00 XJ8 Vanden Plas (sold)

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by RRT
Charleston Import Auto on Stanton Court, off of Ashley Phosphate, is a fine qualified shop. They have Jaguar diagnostic software and equipment. Darryl and Julie Beech run the place, and have for probably two decades.

Whether the car's an antique or modern, you'll have no issues with work performed there.

I've known Darryl and Julie for 15 yrs.

)
Thanks! I have an appt to see Darryl in the morning. We will see what happens. I have a bad feeling the car may need some major work. It bothers me that the problem does in from start up until totally warmed up. Seller did not mention this AT ALL. I on the other hand have been known to do a brake job on a car before selling it. Arrrrrgh!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM

RRT thanks - will definitely keep them in mind when in need of parts or service.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM
RRT
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a nice group of Jag folks in Charleston. They are JCNA members,
the South Carolina Club's the "Jaguar Society of South Carolina." The group normally gets together for dinner once a month.

You guys in Charleston really ought to consider joining the Club. Darryl gives an additional discount on parts. JCNA has a tool loan program. You'd get subscription to Jaguar Journal. Darryl is Club Secretary if you happen to drop by his shop.

Those of us in Cola get down there now and then. We had a really nice show in Cola back in November.

Cheers.

sklimii (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM

definitely will stop by his shop (need a few parts anyway) and look into joining - have wondered if there were any local clubs/gatherings. Thanks

This forum rocks!!!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM

@ RTT and Steve,

Dropped car off with Darryl and Julie yesterday. Very nice folks.

He suspects that I am missing on a cyl and will trouble shoot Monday 1/7/2013. Hopefull its something easy and not a valve or cyl/piston concern.

Robert

sklimii (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Robert - thanks - I plan on stopping by Monday to meet them and order a few parts. Hope it is nothing major with yours.

Quick Reply: Low Country of South Carolina?