US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

NOT Satisfied with Buckhead Imports in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NOT Satisfied with Buckhead Imports in Atlanta

I took my XKR to Buckhead Imports last week. Just got it back today (3 days late). Heres the story, and I'll try not to be too hard on them, though I'll spare you the long version and go ahead and say it - They Suck! (eloquent I know, but its a fair description based on my experience with them.)

What I asked to have done to the car on Tuesday when I dropped it off...

Check the shocks and front end bushings. (squeaking and clunking)
Check the brakes (visibly grooved)
Check the passenger seat controller module (no passenger seat functions)
Check the traction control button (TC will not turn off)
Change oil and filter
Change diff fluid
Change transmission fluid (50k miles on original fluid)
Flush and replace brake fluid (same as trans fluid, has a low soft pedal)
Repalce filters (air, cabin, fuel, whatever)
Check and Charge AC (stops blowing super cold in high temperatures)
Repair fuel leak (when car idles for long periods, it smells strongly of fuel when you drive away. Weird I know, but thats what it does. Scary too...)

Also was going to have them replace the blown bulb in the console climate temp screen, and another in the dash cluster. But I was told this would cost 450-550 because of labor. Haha! Really. (We all should watch the 5 minute video on youtube of the bulb changing process. Just to fully understand how badly we get screwed at the mechanic shop.)

I dropped the car off on Tuesday at lunch time. The place is filthy, hard to get to, hard to get into the dirty cramped office as well.
I was treated respectfully, but impatiently, by a guy who knew absolutely nothing about my XKR. I asked him if there was a way to check the supercharger oil. He said it used engine oil. I told him the supercharger was sealed, and he insisted it ran on engine oil, and then had to call someone on the phone to verify that it did indeed have its own separate oil! He also asked me if I had checked the transmission fluid... After the supercharger phone call, I didnt want to tell him the tranny was also sealed! Maybe he looked for the dipstick for an hour? I hope so.
The guy definitely did not know much about Jaguars. He was definitely dressed like a mechanic, and not a desk guy. Experience is necessary when it comes to Jaguar. It says Jaguar on the wall of the building, but apparently thats an advertisment not based on experience in the shop.
They called the day after I dropped it off and said thet they had started it and it was running raggedly, so they needed to drop the oil pan and clean it, because sludge was built up. I said ok. I should have told them to leave it, but hindsight is 20/20.
Was told it should be done by Friday at the latest. Never got a call. I had to call them on Monday to ask what was going on, and they told me it had already been done on Friday and I should pick it up. They couldn't spare 2 minutes to tell me when it was finished, apparently.
When I got there to pick it up, it was parked so close to the car beside it that I could not get in. When I did climb in from the other side, there were 2 greasy dirty paper floormats in the floorboard.
I saw no damage, inside or out. Thank the Cargods!

Heres the kicker! I went inside to pay the bill, and they told me it was 540 bucks, which seemed fine. Less than expected, really. Until I looked at the reciept! What the actually did to the car was...

120-Changed the oil and filter, they said they put in 10w30 valvoline synthetic, but the car calls for 5w50.
290-Dropped and cleaned the oil pan. (Still seems senseless to me)
125-? It says "Scan:" and then lists all of the other things I asked to be fixed. Not really sure what the charge is for. Pleasure of not dealing with the dealership fee maybe?

I asked them about everything else, why it hadn't been fixed. They said:
I have no fuel leak, it must be exhaust. (can you tell the difference between exhaust fumes and raw gas fumes? Yes? Me too! Not these guys. We must have special powers, you and I. lol)
My brakes are fine. The penny deep grooves are 'normal wear' and they couldn't be turned and new pads put on because this shop never turns rotors, they only replace them. Or so I was informed.
They said they suctioned some of the brake fluid out and put new on top. That was supposed to fix my weak pedal. They would have bled them they said, but they were afraid to remove the line because it is rusty and they are afraid it might break. Holy crap! So they just sent me home with it, so the line can finish rusting through while Im on the interstate in heavy traffic! F&@#ing brilliant! Surely I would not have wanted that fixed! Who need brakes if you can drift?
When asked about the TC button... The TC button is just stuck, and if you wiggle it, it will turn off. And since that button shouldn't be pressed except under extraordinary circumstances, you're better off leaving it that way. Just don't worry about it, its safer if you don't push it.
They said they topped off the diff fluid. Changing it was the idea.
They didnt even touch the AC, or the tranny. Im so very glad of that, I cant even tell you!
They said my rims needed cleaned, but the only way to keep them that way was to buy a set of ceramic brakes and rotors from them. Sealing them would not do the trick I guess? They certainly didn't offer any suggestions when asked for a rim detailing shop referral.
They said I probably needed a new passenger seat control module. They didnt look or anything, but theyre pretty sure thats what I need. I guess it could be unplugged, or have a bad fuse, or maybe its an electrical fire waiting to ignite my fuel leak! They were pretty sure though, from inside the office, that it was just bad and needed replaced.
The suspension was also totally ignored. They said it rides fine. They have obviously never driven a Jaguar with shocks before. My shocks are squeaky ruined OEM with 50k on them. My bushings are clunking on every bump. But it rides fine... The front end is supposed to dip out of corners. Its so you can drift to a stop when your brakes fail!

Then, when I went to leave this ridiculous place, my abs light was on. They said it was on when I brought it in. They said there was no way they could have ever done anything to make that light come on. Funny, its the only indicator light on, I would have noticed it. You ever miss an indicator light? Just not see it, while youre on the way to the mechanic? Me either, until today...

So, that's my trip to Butthead Imports! (proper spelling)
Hope you all learned something.
I sure as hell did!

P.S. I will be taking the car to various mechanics in the Atlanta area until I find one who is worth his salt. When I go to each one, Ill report here on how they do, what they cost, etc.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Wow, doesn't sound like the best experience to be fair!

Old 09-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Did you try Road Britiania?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

So you are not going back?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Youre not the only stunned one, i just dont get this kind of bs. You get a customer that wants to spend money and fix and keep the car up and you talk them out of or dont do most of the work?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Oh and yes thats about right for changing the bulbs, after all theyre made from unobtanium and they have to be changed through the tail pipe and its hard to push them little bulbs up through the tail pipes.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Definitely not the best experience ever, and definitely not going back!
lol ...if I did go back it wouldn't be for repairs...

I once had a '67 Barracuda. I took it in for a carb kit (float was sticking). The guy waited til I left, pulled the distributor, turned it 180 out, and replaced it. Then told me it had jumped time, and he could fix it for 1500. I declined, so he offered to buy it for 2500! I went out and popped the hood, looked around and saw the distributor bolt was very loose. Looked a little closer and realized it was backwards! I popped the cap, turned it 180 degrees, and it fired right up. That is my worst experience with a mechanic.

Just to be fair, I have dealt with many mechanics. Many of them are honest and hard working people, who actually care about their customers and do good quality work. Its just that it doesn't make for a good story to tell about getting a fair honest deal when that's what we all expect to happen anyway.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Lew, do me a favor and visualize me kicking myself in the ***... I should have taken your advice and gone to Road Britannia in the first place!

Lew sold me a pair of cartridges for my trunk mounted CD player just about 2 weeks after I bought my XKR, this summer. I asked him then if he could recommend a good mechanic in Atlanta, and he said Road Britannia had never done him wrong. I had forgotten his recommendation until reading his post today.

So that settles it! My next stop will be Road Britannia. I'm sure they'll be more reliable than Butthead Imports, certainly less expensive than the dealership too. Ill be sure to review Road Britannia as well, but in a separate thread.

Thanks!