US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

Scott Jaguar in Charlotte, NC

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Scott Jaguar in Charlotte, NC

So for those who are A.D.D, the short version of this story is....These guys have been simply awesome to deal with! I'd recommend them again and again!

For those who care about details, here's my story of interacting with Scott Jaguar over the past several weeks.

First off, let me say that I don't buy cars very often. I typically buy and keep a vehicle for at least 7-12 years when I buy one. But as in most households, we have several vehicles at any point in time. So I decided a couple months ago to embark on the 11th vehicle purchase I've made to-date to replace a nearly 12-year old car I drive daily. I'm a research junky who detests buyer's remorse. When I decide to make a purchase I typically start a "research infinite-loop" that lasts 10 times longer than it should and this car purchase was no different with 2-3 months of reading and test-driving. But this time the research “infinite loop” eventually ended with me at Scott Jaguar.

Historically I haven't put much value in car dealerships because dealerships simply never provide any value back to me. Past experience has shown me that most dealerships seem to focus more on moving product and squeezing you for every dollar you have. It usually feels like they want you to either buy and go, or hold you there until you'll pay anything just to be released from purgatory. And after the sale, the only thing most dealerships seem interested in is how to get service/repair dollars out of you any way they can. Hence I have historically tried to limit my exposure to car dealers in every way. Get the car and get out at the best price possible before reaching your boiling point right? Avoid the dealer for service unless it's something major your trusted local mechanic can't handle, right? That's what my past experiences taught me anyway...

For nearly all of my purchases in life (not just vehicles), I don't typically buy the cheapest of anything, nor the most expensive on the planet. The purchases I relish the most are those that have the best VALUE, or the best bang-for-your-buck to be uber-cliche. And the companies I most enjoy doing business with are those that sell good products at a fair price, those that employ knowledgeable human-beings with brains and empowerment to do what makes sense for their customers, and those that are not full of automatons forced to follow the policy of a mother-ship even when they know it's not fair or right. I don't begrudge a company making a profit. They have to make money or they wouldn't be here. The company I work for makes a profit and it's how I have a job; so does yours! But to get that profit we have to provide a product or a service that yields discernible value back to our customers to warrant the exchange. I also don't expect any company or its employees to be perfect. We all make mistakes, but how we handle those mistakes are what define us and the companies for which we work.

SO! All that should help you understand what it takes to make me a happy/loyal customer and what I look for in a long-term customer/vendor relationship.

I recently purchased a used car from Scott Jaguar, and I can say it was hands down a night and day difference compared to any other I've had buying a vehicle throughout North and South Carolina. I worked with one of their sales consultants named Brian Hill. He had excellent knowledge of their product and good knowledge of competitive manufacturers. I've driven a lot of different BMW models and other cars that compete with Jaguar and was very surprised by Jaguar's options in more recent years. They'd updated the products to fit a younger audience and had a great price/performance point compared to others. As I offered comments/criticisms, Brian was fair and gave competitors their due where it was warranted. And he highlighted Jaguar's strengths where they were warranted. I always appreciate someone that sells on their product's strengths instead bashing on a competitor's weaknesses, and they did that which was very professional.

You would think when you drive up in a Camry and walk onto a lot of a Jaguar dealership looking for used cars you would get a snobbish or dismissive response from the staff right? But that simply wasn't the case. Brian was very friendly and welcoming and willing to help without being the least bit pushy. Ironically, some of my family members later went over and looked at an even older/cheaper used car and were treated exactly the same by an entirely different staff member. From what I observed around there, they seemed to treat people with new/expensive cars and old/cheap cars exactly the same.

So from start-to finish we spent a few hours doing test drives, working on the final price (only took 2 passes to get to an acceptable price point) and we're now the new owners of a shiny used Jaguar! Fast forward several days and I noticed on a Sunday morning that my right front tire had a slow leak in it. GRRRR! I assumed I'd snagged a nail driving to dinner the night before, and since it was a Sunday I ran it to the tire shop closest to my house to have them find the culprit. They said they checked it all the way around and nothing was leaking even when putting it under water so I leave. Next morning it does it again so I call Brian @ Scott Jaguar. He said to drop the car by and they'd be glad to take a look at it. This was a bit surprising since the tires were provided by the previous owner of the car and not original to the car or covered under any sort of warranty (after all everyone in the industry considers them normal wear/tear items). Meanwhile I find out through research online that the 2009-2010 Jaguar XFs had a service bulletin released about upgrading the tire-pressure-monitor valves. Apparently there were cases where people were fracturing the aluminum stems of the TPM valves when filling/checking the tires. "Hmm, maybe the previous owner or some previous service shop damaged the valve!", I thought. A quick run through www.jaguarforums.com shows a good number of others that had 2009-2010s with an issue of hard to find slow leaks which went away once the TPM valves were replaced with the new model TMP valves. "Ah ha, that HAS to be it!", I thought. So I send the TSB # to Brian and my wife stops by with the car. Later he emerges and hands her the key and says "you're all set!" I feared I'd have to get all 4 replaced one at a time as they failed over the coming years and prepared my wife to get ready for the long battle, since historically dealers I've worked with don't take a common sense approach, just whatever is cheapest. Without even being asked they replaced all 4 "just in case" so we wouldn't have issues with the other tires later. Wow, I was shocked and pleasantly surprised!

Fast forward to the next morning and Brian contacts me to make sure all is good with the tire. I run out to check it and it's low again! Hmm, maybe I sent them down a rat-hole with the TPM issue? So we run it back up to Scott Jaguar and they look at it. The general manager swings by and says "we'll have it taken care of in a couple minutes". I then find out there is a hairline crack in the rim. So I expect they're going to make me buy a new rim since SURELY they'll expect that I smashed it on a curb or something and damaged it after I had it a week right? Nope, they replaced the rim even though it wasn't under warranty and took it at face value that it must have been something already there prior to sale which was exaggerated after it was out on the road. WOW, I'm blown away! No pawning it off on the customer, just doing what they can to make things right. In all honesty, I'd have bought a new rim if they had pushed the issue even though I know I didn't smash into a pothole or a curb. I'd have even understood why they'd have asked me do so too; in their position I can see how it would look. But, I'd have been irked knowing I was shafted in the process. They didn't even ask though. They just gave the benefit of the doubt and ensured a happy customer.

Again, few things in life are without some issue, but how you handle the issue is what makes or breaks it for me and these guys were awesome to deal with. They were just people who tackle the problems with common sense and a focus on customer service and ensuring mutual success. That's exactly what I look for in a long-term partnership with a company!
I can say this small family owned/oriented dealership is well worth your time and will earn your business! They certainly have earned mine!

The following users liked this post:
Norri (07-08-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

The service department treats you the same way. I can call and get an appointment usually the same day. I just wish I could get the parts department to provide forum discounts !

Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here! Bought a used 2006 STR from them the end of last year. Excellent sales and service personnel. It was the easiest buying experience I have had. If you ever need body work done, Scott Auto Body has the same customer service standards. I will see them when my wife is ready for another car.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

Great story, makes a change from the usual complaints.
Thanks for sharing.