US Mid Atlantic MD VA DC DE WV

DC mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022 | 07:42 PM
|
Default DC mechanic?

My 1993 XJS 5-speed Cabriolet 4.0 L is being shipped from England soon.
I need to find a good mechanic in the DC area to go over the car. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Art Dan; 10-24-2022 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2022 | 02:47 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forums Art Dan,

As you have alrready posted an Intro, I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum to US Mid Atlantic Region forum for advice from members in your region.

Graham

Old 10-24-2022 | 06:15 AM

There are any number of indy shops beyond the dealers, depending on where you locate in the area. I am not entirely familiar with Maryland, but in Rockville near a subway stop is Master Auto, which I've used before. They are ex-dealership mechanics who started their own operation years ago.

Welcome. In VA, in Falls Church there is London Auto, in Lorton (south of the city off I-95) is Top Line Jaguar repair. I have used Top Line before as well. There are dealers in Tysons Corner, Alexandria and Rockville/Bethesda MD, plus a small one in Fredrick, Md., and one south of Baltimore and one in Annapolis.

I mostly use an indy no-name gas station in Annandale, Va., where the same guy has been working on my cars from an XJ40, through X300L, X350VDP and now X308VDP/ It's called Backlick Service. For anything he can't handle I go to the dealer or Top Line. I haven't tried London Auto yet, but I know folks who are real happy with them. There's also a well-recommended transmission in Vienna, Va., and a place that specializes in drive line issues also in Lorton, Va.

I'm sure others will chime in with contributions.

Eliot/Annandale, Va.

Old 10-24-2022 | 07:12 AM
|

Originally Posted by eliotb
There are any number of indy shops beyond the dealers, depending on where you locate in the area. I am not entirely familiar with Maryland, but in Rockville near a subway stop is Master Auto, which I've used before. They are ex-dealership mechanics who started their own operation years ago.

Welcome. In VA, in Falls Church there is London Auto, in Lorton (south of the city off I-95) is Top Line Jaguar repair. I have used Top Line before as well. There are dealers in Tysons Corner, Alexandria and Rockville/Bethesda MD, plus a small one in Fredrick, Md., and one south of Baltimore and one in Annapolis.

I mostly use an indy no-name gas station in Annandale, Va., where the same guy has been working on my cars from an XJ40, through X300L, X350VDP and now X308VDP/ It's called Backlick Service. For anything he can't handle I go to the dealer or Top Line. I haven't tried London Auto yet, but I know folks who are real happy with them. There's also a well-recommended transmission in Vienna, Va., and a place that specializes in drive line issues also in Lorton, Va.

I'm sure others will chime in with contributions.

Eliot/Annandale, Va.
Thanks Elliot.
Access to public transportation is essential, so it looks like Master Auto will be my first try.
I 've never owned a Jaguar before, and I want to get off to a good start with this one.

Old 10-24-2022 | 02:17 PM

Look up Master Auto on Randolph Road. They are in a light industrial area about 3 blocks east of Rockville Pike and there are two subway stops nearby on the Red Line — White Flint at the corner of Rockville Pike and Marinelli Road (I worked right at that stop for 12 years before retiring) and a bit more of a hike away is the Twinbrook station. I used a wonderful fellow who was a walking encyclopedia on older Jags who was between Masters and Twinbrook. His girl friend would pick me up at work when the car was done and take me back over to the shop. I’d point you there, but sadly first he lost his lease and he’s since passed away.

The guys at Masters fled the nearby Manhattan dealership (just off Rockville Pike one block north of the metro station) perhaps 25-30 years ago. They have developed a very steady following. With luck, you can get someone to run you back to White Flint so you can get on with other stuff while they make your car right.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.

Eliot

Old 10-24-2022 | 02:22 PM
|

Thanks
I will get in touch with Masters.
First, I have to get the car here from England.
That may take longer than I first thought.

Old 12-12-2022 | 02:06 PM
|

I just got my car back from Master Auto in Rockville.
They did a great job and they were transparent in their assessment of the vehicle.
Thanks for the recommendation!
Now I can drive it with confidence before the roads get salted.
I will definitely use them again.

Old 12-13-2022 | 05:25 AM

I'm glad it worked out for you. Since the guy I used around the corner from them has passed away, if I still worked in Maryland I'd use Masters as well. They helped me out years ago with a braking hydraulic problem on an XJ40 and I was really impressed.

Cheers, and welcome to the DC area.

P.S. I don’t know if I mentioned but there is a Jag club in the area — National Capitol Jaguar Owners’ Club, NJOC, you might consider joining. It has a few events during the year and teams with other clubs for a big British car show at a place south of DC called Gunston Hall. That show is at the end of April. It’s a huge display field. There’s also a multi-club show in October west of town near a place called Marshall, and the Shenandoah Valley British Car Club (to which I belong) also has a show a week ahead of the one in Marshall. That one is located southwest of here in the Shenandoah Valley. It’s a great drive down there.

Last edited by eliotb; 12-13-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2023 | 06:32 AM

Bumping this - I would AVOID Top Line right now. Spent $13k and they can't even provide a line item invoice (they have only copy which I signed but can't seem to provide me with one over email). I have filed a formal complaint with Fairfax County.

Trying out Master's next, their shop alone is a night and day difference from Top Line; rates posted, clean, respectable looking - George at Top Line is great but he isn't an owner and unfortunately all the BS is out of his control.

I am the new communications chair for the NCJOC (DC Club) - shoot me a note if you'd like to get on the emails!

Old 02-11-2023 | 06:46 AM

I’m in NCJOC. I, too, am in NoVa. I worked atop the White Flint Metro for years and Masters was walking distance. I used them once back when I had an XJ40. I was most happy, as have been acquaintances I’ve mentioned them to. (I do miss the late Jesse Bogan who was near Masters.)

Topline is inconvenient for me as I have to take cabs to/from the place. I’ve used them, was satisfied with the work but not thrilled at the front office help. I had to chide them once for the markup on a part measurably above the Rosenthal retail price from which they got it. When called on it, they adjusted the invoice.

I have a good Indy nearby at a no-name gas station in Annandale I’ve been using 20-plus years for all the more routine stuff. I don’t have a garage, tools or a lift so I have to hire out most stuff. And I’m entering geezerdom so crawling under a 308 isn’t in the cards. I’m not sure I can even lift the spare out of the trunk anymore! (Mike Millner at Backlick Service where the labor rate is still under $100 an hour.)

I’m not sure what mailing list to which you refer. If it’s something other than what John Larson sends out, my email is eliotb@***.net.

Cheers.

Last edited by eliotb; 02-11-2023 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2023 | 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by eliotb
I’m in NCJOC. I, too, am in NoVa. I worked atop the White Flint Metro for years and Masters was walking distance. I used them once back when I had an XJ40. I was most happy, as have been acquaintances I’ve mentioned them to. (I do miss the late Jesse Bogan who was near Masters.)

Topline is inconvenient for me as I have to take cabs to/from the place. I’ve used them, was satisfied with the work but not thrilled at the front office help. I had to chide them once for the markup on a part measurably above the Rosenthal retail price from which they got it. When called on it, they adjusted the invoice.

I have a good Indy nearby at a no-name gas station in Annandale I’ve been using 20-plus years for all the more routine stuff. I don’t have a garage, tools or a lift so I have to hire out most stuff. And I’m entering geezerdom so crawling under a 308 isn’t in the cards. I’m not sure I can even lift the spare out of the trunk anymore! (Mike Millner at Backlick Service where the labor rate is still under $100 an hour.)

I’m not sure what mailing list to which you refer. If it’s something other than what John Larson sends out, my email is eliotb@***.net.

Cheers.
Were you at Hunt Club meet in October? I think we parked next to each other (white XJR). Check your spam, I see you on the list John gave me - I use a mailing tool and sometimes spam filters pick them up. Email domain is: @hubspotstarter.net

Old 02-11-2023 | 12:19 PM

Yes, I was next to you with GUD KITY, my emotional support car. I am uncertain if I can make the Hunt Country show this year. It is the day following the one in Waynesboro, Va. (SVBCC) to which I’ve been going for about 25 years now and have some attachment. My wife’s disabled and housebound so I don’t like bagging both weekend days for car shows. Bad form and all that. And, if I show up this year, I have to go into the category of “these are last year’s winners so we don’t want other folks to have to compete with them for another year,”

Kudos to you for stepping up for NCJOC. I hope your XJR is now behaving after that investment, I figure my car is costing about $1 a mile to operate with maintenance, fuel and insurance. By my system, you’re going to have to drive 13,000 miles to get that bill even slightly amortized!f I used to figure the costs at 50 cents a mile, but times and the maintenance requirements have changed.

I don’t see a message in my IPad’s junk folder. I will have to check the spam area on my Mac later today.