US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Benton car show

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Benton car show

I heard on the radio today this saturday they are having something called Terry's Jag Jam in Benton, IL. Im probably going to go and take pictures, was just wondering if anybody had interest in going or if anyone had gone.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just saw this and thought that even though the event is probably way over I'd like to tell a story about me and Terry. Many years ago (almost 20) I went to the Memphis British Car Day as I did every year. We were all standing around talking in the parking lot and a guy in his '74 XKE Roadster drives up. Automatic, air, loaded. The car was beautiful and the owner was trying to sell it. He asked $3,500 and I yelled out "sold". I gave him a hundred bucks and he was coming back later with the title for me to give him a check for the rest. Well, naturally I was extremely excited. I had known Terry through his father-in-law who owned an MG parts place in Benton. He was competing with Moss Motors, and being fairly local I would mostly try and buy my stuff from him. At the time I had four really nice MG's. Well Terry came up to where I was standing on a balcony with some friends and gave me this big sob story how he wanted to buy his son this XKE as his first Jag, and it would be great since he was in the business and it would really help him out. I can't remember the entire sob story, but, this was Terry and he seemed so sincere, and I really just wanted it as a toy, but was mainly into MGs. I said okay and he gave me my deposit and when the guy came back he bought it.
The next Tuesday I had to call his father-in-law for an order. A guy that worked for him, called Dego answered. We knew each other well. I asked him how Terry's son liked the XKE. He said what XKE? I told him what Terry bought and he said it just got trailered out of there to its new owner. Terry had sold it. Needless to say I never did business with either of them again. Sorry to post a negative thread like this, but I have a lot of guys from Memphis and St. Louis that were there and know this story well. I had pretty much forgot about this until I saw the post here. By the way, here are the cars I had back then. From left a '74 1/2 MGB-GT (one of only 1149 rubber bumper GTs imported into the states). An '80 MGB, a '60 MGA Coupe (my 1st MG), and a '62 MGA MkII Deluxe (one of only 395 made). Wish I still had them