US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Michigan Jobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Michigan Jobs

Hello all you Michiganers, how is the economic situation in Michigan? I am originally from Petoskey, but live in Texas now. Would love to get back up North. I work in education--teacher and now a special ed. supervisor, soon hopefully to move into an asst. principleship. I know things have been not so good up North, but is there any improvement---would I be crazy to go back? I am not into starvation I am considering the Petoskey, Boyne city area or across the bridge. Any insights? Thanks--------------Scott

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Heeeellllllooooooo!!???? I guess there is no one left in Michigan. I hope someone remembered to shut the lights off......................

Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jobs in Michigan

Hello former Michigander. As I type this I'm in Reo Hondo visting so i'll wave. Heading back soon. Wish I could say the job situation is improving but... Those that have them are hanging on by their nails and those that don't - well some are heading out and some are trying to survive. My youngest son has been out of work or underemployed for over two years now. Michigan used to rise and set on the auto ndustry as you know but its gone. Buick employed nearly 50,000 alone in Flint. Now anyone adding 50-100 jobs in the area gets front page headlines and 1000's of apps. But if you want to come back we'll leave the light on for ya.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the reply Eagledancer. Do you mean Rio Hondo as in Texas? It is a shame about Michigan. Generations of my folks lived and died there, but right now it is just to hard to be there. If my kids were grown I would go back and tough it out. Guess I will just have to wait.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 AM

Yup, just up from Brownsvlle and all the gun fire. Love the 80 deg. but have to go back the 10th. Lived in Michigan all my 62 years, except for stint in the Air Force. Love the state. Saw many up's and downs, but I think this one's different - somewhat like West Virgina when coal became a dirty word - no offence to WV. The state has tried all kinds of "re-makes" nothing seems to really take. The movie industry has 'found' Michigan as long as the tax breaks hold out then they find some place else. Our young people can't find jobs so their migrating just like snowbirds but don't come back. Not much going if you can't keep the "best and brightest". Maybe 10- 15 yrs maybe longer, maybe never. But the lakes are still here until Nevada, Arizona, California get enough votes to drain them. The leaves still turn rainbow during the fall and winter covers all the blemishes with white. Summer on the lakes is to die for. Maybe we should turn it into one big park.

Tom

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 PM

eagledancer I am in San Benito about 6 miles down the road from you. I live on 345 that goes from San Benito to Rio Hondo---small world. I know what you mean about Michigan, my best memories are of running through the woods up in Cheboygan or Petoskey when I was a little older. Can't stand to think what my kids are missing. The valley does not compare to up North and it has gotten worse in the past few years. I might end up relocating to central Texas if I can't make the big leap back to the lakes. I can retire in about 10 years or so---hopefully----then I will make it back for sure. Have a good trip back--slap a Birch tree for me-----Scott

Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM

You got it, Shortbus.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Short bus, sent you a pm.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

I hear you about the job situation in MI. I am from southeast Michigan and once I got out of the military, MI was the last place I was going to move to. My whole family is still there but I knew it would be way to hard to find a job so I stay in NC. I still go up to visit but it would take a miracle for me to want to go back up there to live. MI has got a long way to go to get the state improved after the auto company crisis.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I worked for Ford Motor Company for 24 years, and had many friends living west of Detroit--at least until Ford retired them when many were in their early 50's.

Unfortunately, the ones still living in the Detroit area cannot sell their houses--and are stuck living there. Other than terrible Winter weather, the outlying areas are not too bad. They drink too much beer, and hit all the Tigers' baseball games. New jobs are non-existent, however.

The inner city is a cesspool of poor people and deteriorating properties. And, people are leaving in droves. With no tax base and so many abandoned problems, Mayor Bing is getting nowhere in addressing the problems--much less turning the city around.

Michigan's state income tax is enough to make anyone leave.

Last time I worked a week in Northern Ohio, I was listening to talk radio. The callers sounded as if they were chronically depressed about their lives, their jobs, and everything else. The only other place I've heard such attitudes on the radio was along the Gulf Coast after New Orleans was flooded by the hurricane. There's no hope.

I feel so for the great workers in the Iron Belt from Detroit to Toledo over to Cleveland. Had the motor companies stood up to the thug mafia union bosses, the American car industry might have not been in this shape.

Unfortunately, improvement is not in the stars. It's how it is--and how it will be to a certain degree. I cannot blame anyone for leaving.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

I can't comment too much about the blue collar automotive jobs, but in terms of the white collar engineering jobs, things are really picking up. I had offers and opportunities from Chrysler, GM , FEV and various other OEMS in the area. I also had outstanding offers from Cummins and Caterpiller (neither in Michigan) before I settled for my current job in Illinois.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a Mechanic for a 2001 S-type 3.0 v6

I'm located in SE Mich. My jag is "orginal owner". Dealership is fleecing me.

Thanks So Much
Triksey