US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Need advice on selling XK120 in Kansas City area

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 09:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Need advice on selling XK120 in Kansas City area

A 1952 silver XK120 SPR (located in Kansas City) has been in the family for decades. It has been in enclosed storage but has not been driven for decades. When originally acquired it was drivable.

Owner recently passed and I am trying to help figure out best way to sell. Any advice anyone can give me on auction houses that sell undrivable cars would be great. And/or any places that buy such cars in the Kansas City area.

Any other tips, ideas, suggestion would be greatly welcome.

Thank you!

Old 10-29-2022, 11:52 AM

UPDATE: as a result of my originals posts here a fellow member who lives in the Phoenix area reached out and has provided so much help it's unbelievable! He spent 3-4 hours going over the car, helping to educate me and letting me know what info I needed to provide the bidders. I won't say his name as he might want to remain anonymous, but we can't thank him enough. What a great site and community you have here that would help a newbie like me find so much help. Thanks so much!

In case you want to see the car that we got so much help with, the Phoenix area XK120 M(SE) Roadster is currently in auction on BaT (Ends Monday, 10/31 at 1:20 pm EST, 10:20am PST/MST: 55-Years-Family-Owned 1954 Jaguar XK120 SE Roadster Project for sale on BaT Auctions - ending October 31 (Lot #89,153) | Bring a Trailer

Midwest users, we also have another Jag in Kansas City that is in much better shape, very little rust. It's a '51 XK120 FHC with a XK140 SE engine. We have not yet been able to verify if the engine turns or not. Hopefully, since the Arizona engine turned, this one will also. Let me know if you have any interest in the Kansas City jag and I will keep you updated.

Old 10-30-2022, 12:52 PM

ENGINE update - This ENGINE TURNS AND THE PISTONS MOVE FREELY!!! Watch the video (
) where Jaguar Forum member RM9700 offered his amazing help to teach me what I needed to know in order to auction the car. AND HE ALSO removed the spark plugs, added some oil, waited for a while and was able to turn the engine and note that the pistons moved freely and there was not water in the plug compartment or in the oil! YAY! How amazing is that considering it was parked, not driven and not started after 1969? That’s 53 years! And, considering that the car was fairly young when my brother bought it in Oct 1962 and it had a replacement engine and he only drove it recreationally, I’m guessing this engine has very few miles on it. And the engine was working perfectly when it was parked. The vandalism was only to the exterior of the car. This engine PURRRRS. My sister-in-law loved the roaring, rumbling, purring sound it made and said “No wonder it’s called a Jaguar! There is no other experience like it.”

Oh, and remember that amazing aluminum body XK120 that sold for 121K last month, well the winner of that beauty is also bidding on this car. YAY!! Here's the link to the auction if you want to watch or even better, bid. It ends in less than 24 hours (Monday 10/31 at 1:20PM EST).