US Midwest IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

West of Milwaukee, here. Hello!

My first Jaguar, love it!

Already need work on it, engine light came on, but still drove fine.

Looking forward to hanging out or meetups when I'm not traveling.

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (11-07-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Received 145 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Welcome to our strange but satisfying world.

One of the first things you'll want to do is go on eBay and buy an CAN OBD II code reader. They are not expensive and will explain many problems. Also be aware that when you go thru Wisconsin emission testing, they are not testing your actual exhaust emissions. They are looking for codes. If your check engine light is on, it is generally an emission related fault. You need to clear any codes before going in to assure no false positives.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They are emission testing in Wisconsin? Really? They are not here where I live. And of all places, the most liberal part of the state, Madison.
Go figure.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Konkol
They are emission testing in Wisconsin? Really? They are not here where I live. And of all places, the most liberal part of the state, Madison.
Go figure.
That is surprising that they're not in Madison. It goes by county though. I know Milwaukee county does do emissions testing .

Old 11-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Default Wisconsin Emission Testing

Your lucky! The problem we have in our little village is that it is in Sheboygan County. It suffers from the pollution, automotive and otherwise, which comes up the lake from Chicago and Milwaukee. I would imagine the only pollution in Madison shows up as beer farts eminating from the UW campus.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im from the south side of Milwaukee, with a clean white 1985 XJ6. On the hunt for a technician in the southeastern corner of WI next!

Cheers

Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur2012
I would imagine the only pollution in Madison shows up as beer farts eminating from the UW campus.
That, and all the hot air that comes from all the liberal politicians in this town.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:56 PM

Between the systemic dependency of Milwaukee and the cloistered academic culture of Madison, meaningful progress in the state is an uphill battle. Thank God we at least have temporarily halted the control by the public employee unions whose greed seemed insatiable. Guess we should get back to the subject......what was it?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I used to be a technician right before OBDII came out. Code is ECT sensor, but I think its throwing the code because the t-stat is probably stuck open. First really cold day here (well, for the Jag, I was on vacation since my last post) and little heat coming out of it, reservoir full.

Also on the hunt for a good tech. I dont trust Wilde in Waukesha just because of the nature of that dealership & how they've treated my parents with their cars. An old workmate of mine opened an import shop, I think his name is Don Klien (cant remember his last name for sure) and it still may be open. I know where it is/was but forget the name, also. I'll hit Google Streetview and look for it. I'd trust him with anything. Guy is a genius.

MidwestJag (11-18-2014)
Old 04-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default member

Wisconsin Rapids here, 1991 XJ6

MidwestJag (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just about ready to get the Jag out of hibernation, anybody live Northwest of Green Bay?

MidwestJag (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Welcome Brierley:

You're in my neck of the woods! Well, I grew up in Wausau… and now live near to Madison. I've also got a '91. I'll keep an eye open for you on I39.

cheers,
Scott

Old 04-13-2015, 03:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ready to roll!

Came home a couple weeks ago on a freezin day to find what appeared to be all of the oil from my stored '85 XJ6 all over the garage floor. Had it towed in and had the send and receive hoses on the chiller replaced. Took 2 weeks to try and find the second Hose and they ended up having to fabricate it from one of the others. Got it back this past week so had it out on Saturday and gave it a full hand wash/wax and detailing. Ready to roll early this year! Anybody with a vintage car in the Madison area should consider taking it to Tom's Auto in McFarland. Super great serice! And don forget to look for me at Cars on State coming up in June. Happy 2015!

MidwestJag (04-13-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This will be my 3rd jaguar.. just bought a 2004 Black XJR from a forum member. located here in Green Bay!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:19 AM

I am going to throw out a bad experience with Fields Jaguar of Waukesha. It is the only Jaguar dealership around Milwaukee. I actually bought my car from a Toyota dealership and a few months later my TPMS sensor was leaking air. So I needed a new one. I called them to inquire about a price and they were charging $98 for the sensor and to install it, but they had to go pick it up from Fields. No problem. I then needed 4 more as I was putting my summer tires on some aftermarket rims. I was also wrongly under the assumption that the sensors needed to be programmed. Anyway, I called up the parts dept to inquire about getting the sensors and tires mounted. The guy was going to charge me $144 per sensor! So instead I bought them online for $40 and just had the Toyota dealership install them. Now I am not sure if I even want to give their service dept a chance. Any body else have experience with them? I have found Mraz Import Automotive does work on Jaguar as well. I might have to give them a shot.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Thor82:
Unless they actually screwed something up for you, I'd chock this one up to the prices of a premium dealership. I have only ever been treated like royalty at Fields of Madison, but I realize that's partly what I'm paying the higher prices for! It's why so many of us find good local independent technicians and/or do the work ourselves from parts bought on Ebay. If you're happy with the Toyota dealership and they're willing to work on your car, go for it!

Cheers,
Scott

Old 05-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I live north of MKE. The only experience that I've had was with the late Jenkins. Got some parts there. Seemed reasonable, but then it was only floor mats. They were charging similar prices for key fobs and ACM's as most other dealerships. They're gone now, so doesn't really matter. I change my own oil/filter (which is a breeze on the XJ if you have ramps). The only service that I've had to have done in nearly 3 yrs I had done when I was on a trip down in Davenport, Iowa - at Jaguar Alley. They did a good job and reasonable price. Would have been even better had I been able to purchase the part on eBay, but since I needed the car back immediately, I had them buy it from the local Jag dealer (at about a 25% mark-up from other sources).

Let me know what you think of Mraz in case I find I need local maintenance support.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:39 PM

I tend to agree with Thor82. Either find a good independent or do the work yourself. Remember 90% of anything you do yourself is just "showing up" . These are not typically daily drivers. If you get stumped don't give up. Just stop and ask someone on here. These are not typically daily drivers and you can afford to take your time and you'll save a ton of money.

Thor82 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:14 PM

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined as I have been working on motorcycles since I was a child. So basic maintenance and repairs usually aren't an issue. It's just the electrical issues that come up. My XF is a daily driver. So unless it's the summer time, when I can be out on my bike, it's hard to be without her for too long. I'll let you know if I get into Mraz to get any work done.

P.S. for anyone that is interested in car shows. There will be a Street Certified car show and track day held at the Milwaukee Mile on May 30th. It is a wide array of cars, but it would be cool to see some other Jags at the event. I'm usually the only one...

Old 12-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New member from Necedah. North of the dells. I own a 98 xj8 vdp and a 2002 xjr100. I own a shop and do autobody and mechanical repairs.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin