US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

New Key, Dealer experience.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Key, Dealer experience.

My 95 X300 bought last fall came with one key. It was time to have a spare, makes me nervous in case the one key is misplaced.

A few months ago got on A&L Motor's web site, used their inquiry form to ask about having a new key made and if there are any outstanding recalls on this car.

Never got an answer.

So decided to do the 1.5 hr drive to Monroeville PA to visit the dealer A&L Motors. The last 10 miles is a traffic zoo. Finally found them, they are a dual dealer Jaguar and BMW. I walk into the the Jaguar side, the receptionist asks if I need help. Sure say I, I need a key made. She points out through the glass to the BMW side and says go there.

Traversing the path of glass cubicle maze finally a fellow asks what I need, I say i need a key made. He helpfully guides me to the service counter. After ringing the bell button some minutes pass then a young lad asks if I need help. Sure say I, showing him my car key, I need a spare.

He say: I need proof of ownership and your license. Ignores my key on the counter. I give him my registration and license, he disappears behind some walls. Some minutes later he returns, informs me that they do not make keys, but will order me one. The price is US $130.75. And says it will need to be programmed.

I explain that 95s do not have chips, no programming is required. He picks up the phone, calls someone and asks if 95 XJ keys need programming. He gets the answer no, no programming is needed. But still is $130.75.

I say to him, ship me the key when done. He informs me, that will be $7.00 for UPS.

Well I need the spare key, so I agree.

5 days pass, a box of 6"x6"x6" arrives. Inside is a lot of paper and a plastic bag with a key. Glory be, I'm a proud owner of two keys. The elation was short lived. Car was in the garage with window down. I insert new key, lo and behold it locks the car. It is a good start, since any Jaguar Tibbe key will lock any Jaguar. It would not unlock the car. Bravely I pull up on the lock tab by the pillar, and all hell breaks loose. Chirps, whoops, and other ghastly noises emanate from the alarms system. I go off to get the original key, insert it in the door lock and silence is restored.

Start comparing old vs new keys, discover that they failed to make some cuts which are in the old key.

Pick up the phone, call A&L Motors. After some discussion with some operator I get connected to service. I explain the dismal state of affairs of the key. The service/parts guy very helpfully suggests that I go to a local locksmith to "wear in " the key. I say for a 140 bucks I want the key to work as delivered. By the way the original key works fine in all four locks. So no lock change was don by PO(s). I know the driver lock is original, given the amount of crud I cleaned out while getting to the microswitch of interior lights a while back.

This past Monday, drove the 1.5 hour trip back to the dealer, gave them back the new key, they supposedly talked with whomever made the key and explained the differences. So now I am eagerly awaiting the re-cut new key, to see if it will work. As an aside, A&L claims that the key was made by Jaguar. Hmmm. Just what does that mean?

Thus far my confidence in A&L motors is rather low.

Will update this post when I receive the re-cut key. I have not had any experience with their mechanics, so no opinion there.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

well, i know my str was there once. And they are not very cordial at all. They "diagnosed" the parking brake in mine, as the motor and module are bad and it is going to cost 1600 to repair it. took me an hour to get it out with no lift. and it will take an hour to get it back in, with no lift.

part is what 300 bucks?? they were trying to charge me 700 for the parking brake motor and 8 hours of labor.

id rather order my parts from Nalley and anything over i think 25 dollars is free shipping.

so 2 hours of my time, plus 250 bucks for a brand new motor assembly, and it will be fixed. I still cant figure out where the 8 hours of labor is coming from. :screwy:

Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Very frustrating, yes, especially with all the driving involved.

For anyone else......

If you don't mind waiting, try Monte Shelton Jag in Portland, Oregon. We did an over-the-phone and thru-the-mail thing for a spare key and it worked perfectly....about $65 all in. But that was a few years ago. It might be more now.

I had to fax them an ID and a copy of my registration but that's understandable, of course.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-30-2011, 02:55 PM

The Saga of the key continues. Today I received a letter from A&L Motors, explaining that the new key (this is a second try) made by Jaguar came in looking exactly as the first one. With the added information that Jaguar is thinking the ignition lock may have been changed. And requested another trip by me, or a email with photo of the key that works.

I opted to take 3 photos from different angles showing the relevant parts of the key and emailed them.

With a comment that the existing key works in all positions ie. doors, ignition and boot. Further noting that recent I disassembled the door panels to work on the lighting microswitch, and the crud therein has not been disturbed in 15 years.

Edit add: Would have thought the dealer made photocopy or photo of the key when I returned the non-functioning freshly made one. Nah..... Makes too much sense.

So we wait again for the next chapter.

In the meantime.....

Last edited by ls99; 04-30-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM

A functioning key finally arrived via UPS.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

You can Google Tibbe Key and come up with instructions on how to read the key cuts.

Without the security code. a key is available for $38.95. The 1998-1999 models with security code are cloned for $54.95.

I also need to order a spare key, as I only received one with my car.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ls99
A functioning key finally arrived via UPS.
wow almost a month later. fail on the dealer side considering this was your second key

Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
wow almost a month later. fail on the dealer side considering this was your second key
Actually this was the 3rd key they made.

As I wrote to Jaguar USA, the pinnacle of incompetence. But hey, at least I now have two functioning keys. A comforting situation.