US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

SDD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SDD?

Anyone in the northern New England area have an sdd that I could possibly hook up and see if I have phantom or real faults and no codes showing?

Last edited by GGG; 05-14-2020 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

You may be lucky but over 100 Views and 0 Replies to your question so far.

Although SDD is regularly discussed on the forums there's not a huge number of members who have the hardware/software and only a tiny number who have the genuine article. Cracked SDD software and a clone "Mangoose" cable is cheap but a subscription to Jaguar TOPIx and a genuine Drew Technologies Mongoose cable is a big investment. That being said, a clone setup is perfectly satisfactory for code reading and diagnostics but I wouldn't risk programming with it.

Version is also relevant and you haven't added your vehicle details. I had a clone Mongoose with SDD v1.34 which worked perfectly on my 2001 XK8, 2005 XK8 and 2007 XK but would't even maintain a connection on my 2014 XK. I've had to go to Mongoose Pro and SDD v1.50 to connect to this vehicle. The current version is SDD 1.59.7 but I expect this soon to be superseded once JLR comes out of "lockdown" in the UK.

SDD allows interrogation of all modules and is therefore very useful. You can expect to see a lengthy list of "events" (DTC's) recorded on a modern Jaguar but the vast majority of these are temporary out-of-range occurences and not true faults. Unless you especially want to interrogate all the modules then many standard code readers or the Torque Pro app for Android will satisfactorily report stored and pending Pxxxx powertrain error codes.

Graham

Old 05-15-2020, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you Graham.

I am looking to pinpoint a couple of items that I'm struggling to solve (parking sensor issues, intermittent errors, etc.) At this point I'll probably look at a battery replacement and cleaning all the ground studs I can find to see what improves if anything.

FIgured the SDD gets into a level of detail that should really let you know if small issues are really failed or not.

Thanks again!

Lars
Originally Posted by GGG
You may be lucky but over 100 Views and 0 Replies to your question so far.

Although SDD is regularly discussed on the forums there's not a huge number of members who have the hardware/software and only a tiny number who have the genuine article. Cracked SDD software and a clone "Mangoose" cable is cheap but a subscription to Jaguar TOPIx and a genuine Drew Technologies Mongoose cable is a big investment. That being said, a clone setup is perfectly satisfactory for code reading and diagnostics but I wouldn't risk programming with it.

Version is also relevant and you haven't added your vehicle details. I had a clone Mongoose with SDD v1.34 which worked perfectly on my 2001 XK8, 2005 XK8 and 2007 XK but would't even maintain a connection on my 2014 XK. I've had to go to Mongoose Pro and SDD v1.50 to connect to this vehicle. The current version is SDD 1.59.7 but I expect this soon to be superseded once JLR comes out of "lockdown" in the UK.

SDD allows interrogation of all modules and is therefore very useful. You can expect to see a lengthy list of "events" (DTC's) recorded on a modern Jaguar but the vast majority of these are temporary out-of-range occurrences and not true faults. Unless you especially want to interrogate all the modules then many standard code readers or the Torque Pro app for Android will satisfactorily report stored and pending Pxxxx powertrain error codes.

Graham

Old 05-15-2020, 02:55 PM
GGG

A good and fully charged battery is an essential on modern Jaguars. Partial discharge is the cause of large numbers of intermittent and otherwise annoying errors.

SDD allows you to investigate every module and sensor. If you have an old laptop lying around, one of the Chinese clone Mongoose cables and cracked SDD would be a good investment for diagnosis.

Graham

Old 05-16-2020, 07:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the minimum SDD version for a late 2012/early 2013 XF 3L SC? Have the v130 I use with my Genuine Mongoose and Midtronic PS.

Thanks In advance.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:13 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by cogitare
What is the minimum SDD version for a late 2012/early 2013 XF 3L SC? Have the v130 I use with my Genuine Mongoose and Midtronic PS.

Thanks In advance.
The version you have should be OK because it's contemporary with the vehicle Model Year although you will miss out on the diagnostic advances included in later versions.

If I'd made the substantial investment in a genuine Drew Technologies Mongoose cable and the Midtronic power supply, I'd seriously consider going current version SDD and paying for TOPIx by the hour or day when I needed to use it. However, note that Mongoose is no longer JLR recommended for the latest models.

Graham

Old 05-17-2020, 07:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you