US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

2014 Leavenworth Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Swimref
I wanted to agree with Muddy on this. Before you spend 32K on a 2009 or earlier 4.2 liter XKR, please take a close look at 2010 or 2011 5.0 liter XK's. The "base" naturally aspirated 5.0 cars will have near identical performance (while getting much better mileage, the direct injected engine is truly that much better in every way) for about the same price, all in a newer model. Please bear in mind that any of these we are talking about will be substantially more powerful than your last one, and therefore will bite harder and faster when punishing the driver for any errors.
Well I appreciate the input from both yourself and Muddy, but my price range is more like under 30k, and I can't even find anything 2010+ under 35k. The year doesn't both me so much as the trim. I get that modding itch Clever speaks of. The 2009 XKR just makes sense from where I sit. Affordability-wise, its either a 2009 and earlier XK or XKR.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm kinda stunned at the lack of reasonable priced used XKRs on the market right now...

Seems the popularity and reliability of our cars has finally caught up with declining resale values. Cars that in the past have plummeted to the mid $30s now are holding near the mid $40s! Good for current owners, but bad for those of us trying to buy into a great car at a steal of a price. <sigh>

I know when I get ready to upgrade, I will shop nation wide, and either have it shipped to me or fly over and take possession for a casual drive home.

Still a year out on that decision for me ....

I really love the first generation XK, and would not live in fear of owning ANY 4.2 Supercharged motor. Rock solid is the term I believe it is known for. The 5.0 is certainly more powerful and fuel efficient, but we have also seen a growing list of cooling problems, detracting from that good old days of rock solid reputation.

Personally I will go 5.0 on my upgrade, but as I have said before, the 1st gen is still a darn nice machine, and I would still hold my head high owning one.

BOL
Vince

BOL

Old 09-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're looking for Insane-O power out of a Supercharged AJ engine (4.2 or 5L), you'll want to look into the twin-screw supercharger kits which are becoming available. I've read credible performance numbers into the 700hp range.

Can you imagine, "Grandpa's" car - which, mind you, is already a sleeper (S-Type R), with over 700 ponies? That's nutty. Nobody expects the 400+ my car already has (there are a few local STi and 'stang GT owners with "bruised egos", shall we say). If you were to bolt on this contraption to an '09 XKR, it would be truly mad...

That being said, 700+ hp - and all the torque that entails - is likely to be completely unmanageable in these cars. No LSD, tranny that may not be able to handle the torque, and potential fuel-delivery issues (bigger injectors and a fuel booster pump, like the direct-injection cars have) would be on the agenda. The ECM will self-protect the engine. Too far out of bounds (lean burn) and you go into RP so you don't blow up the engine. Too rich, and you start to cook the multiple O2 sensors and burn out your catalytic converter.

With very limited aftermarket (as Vince said), and owing to the usual demographic of Jag owners, most "mods" are typically relegated to the older cars (pre XJ40 body, and XJ-S).

Of course, if your bank account can absorb it, there's the new XKR-S GT...

Ken

Old 10-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Latest news:

Parts alone, they have added up to 29k - totaled.

I'll be picking up a new cat next weekend..

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (10-03-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 02:55 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Muddy - did that screw in your tire wind up being a problem? I saw you said you were on a spare

Nittos? Are those worth a hoot nowadays?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by KenAdamson
Muddy - did that screw in your tire wind up being a problem? I saw you said you were on a spare Nittos? Are those worth a hoot nowadays?
The screw was too far into the sidewall to allow for a repair.

The Motivo line is a new product line of all-season touring tires. They are NOT max performance summer tires, but it remains to be seen how much I can tell the difference. The Dunlops were just starting to get some grip at around 15,000 miles, but I can't say I was too impressed with them before that.

The only complaint I've had about my 2010 has been cabin noise. I don't recall the earlier models being as loud when I drove them, and I think I confirmed that when I drove Clever's '07. So I was on the hunt for a quiet tire, #1, to try and minimize road noise. Quietness seems to be the consistent review of this tire from multiple sources on the net.

I got them put in on Saturday morning and it has been sitting in the garage ever since! Everybody says you have to burn off some protectant before you can really test a tire anyway, so it will take a little time before I can really tell if my decision was a good one.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Lol,
So on a side note to our Leavenworth run, Showtime has just announced the return of Twin Peaks with 9 new episodes in 2016. I guess the final 1991 episode had the dead girl telling Cooper she would see him again in 25 years....

Too funny...

Old 10-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Still never saw it. I wonder if it's on netflix.