US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Another E-type is about to be hitting the roads in WA

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 02:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another E-type is about to be hitting the roads in WA

In the first week of June, my father told me he wanted to run out to the island counties, and inspect an E-type for sale in Coupeville WA. On the 14'th of June we did just that.

It was the one, and there was much rejoicing

On the 23'rd of June we took delivery of a 1968 E-type 2+2 at our workshop. Wow! What a great starting point for a rolling restoration The car is very complete. The interior only needs new footwell carpets, and the headliner reupholstered. The torsion bars need to be adjusted since the front sits so low, but the bars are still good (they appear to have been reinstalled incorrectly in the past). The body has a few simple dents, is virtually free of rust, and has ALL the chrome and windows still in excellent knick! The engine needs the carbs, starter, and cooling system installed to run, but it's all there in the king cab pick up truck load of NOS and new parts that we came home with. In the mass of parts we got with the car was a rare complete dual Weber setup, manifolds and all, as well as a perfect complete stainless exhaust system with those beautiful chrome mufflers and tips that hang off the back.

Our plan is to get it roadworthy by the end of the summer, and attend a few local shows as a work in progress. However, before we start on it, we need to clear shop space, and a few other projects. We have a 230SLK wrecked parts car that is still getting chopped up into nothing, then the good 230SLK has to go, a boat with 4 motors, and all that while we're also slowly working on a 1935 Chevy Coupe hotrod that we're shoehorning a Jag V12 into. It's a busy summer O_o Good thing I'm still quarantined, and my old man is a hermit, hahah! We have all the time on the world right now, and it is glorious!

We have a lot of varied (but primarily euro) car interests. My Dad spent a long time restoring and obsessing over 70's era SL Merc's, my wife and I are both Audi freaks (her toy is a 2014 8j TT, and I have a 2015 A3 with a gtx2867r Garrett turbo), and I have an ex-ST2/TT2 racer C5 Corvette. I also Plastidip cars as a side hustle, and am a freelance automotive photographer, so you'll get lots of pictures from me.

There's a little about us, and our projects, now for some pics!

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (07-13-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 02:28 PM

If anyone is interested in more, you can check out my Instagram @thegoodlife_pnw

Old 11-15-2020, 11:49 PM
Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

I know it was a weird summer for sure, but were you able to make any progress on your build?

Old 11-16-2020, 02:17 AM

We haven't gotten too far. We found EXTENSIVE rodent damage over the left hand rear fender :{ took some weeks to rectify. While I was in there I also completely fixed and patched the floorboards, applied sound deadening, and recieved my new carpets in cinnamon!

I also worked on refinishing the left hand side of the engine bay. I'm fixing and modernizing the wiring, removing and refinishinge brackets, installing all new hydraulics, etc etc. I wrote a post about my analysis of the hydraulics earlier here as well.

A month ago we picked up a new toy; a 1995 F450 7.3 powerstroke rollback flatbed tow truck! It was a rat's nest, so I have been dumping parts, and time into it at my own facility. As I've been doing that, my old man has been looking for a '56 Nomad, and setting up a sweet home theater for his retirement. We went and bought a new McIntosh amp a few days ago :P

Old 11-16-2020, 02:27 AM

Some more photos of stuff.

This is the truck we bought, and how it sits under the hood right now, haha! Found it had a dusted turbo, so we decided to kinda go all out, as we tend to do; big billet turbo, standalone ECU, E-fuel, the works. I got my first degree in diesel power technology, and was the youngest NHRDA (national hotrod diesel association) mechanic in the state of Washington at one time long ago. I am quite enjoying working on this old turbo diesel pig Oh and that is the pile of old junk I've already yarded out from under the hood!

Old 11-16-2020, 02:33 AM

Aaaand the sweet Mac integrated amp my old man got for the machine shop!

So we're gettin' there, just at out own pace, lol. We have already made 3 or 4 orders from different places for parts on the E, so we have quite the oarts horde now. Since we're finished rectifying structural flaws, it is rather like putting together a kit car at the moment.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:42 AM

Oh man! How could I forget! We also picked up a running 1985 XJ6 S3 XK engine from a guy locally for $150! That and he threw in a BW66 that was rebuilt 11,000 miles ago! I have it currently sitting in my personal teardown bay in my connected garage (gotta love a heated work space). Gonna build it for power, add EDIS, EFI, etc etc.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:50 AM

I guess I have been pretty busy, lol. I also plastidipped my Corvette.