US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

April Meet and Drives

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Marko

Tacoma dinner should be by the water (North Tacoma). If we wanna get fancy, "Shenanigan's" (great food, beers, bar, waterviews). Or, just next to it the "RAM", less fancy also good. Both places have easy parking.
I like both, but your concept of "easy parking" comes from someone that obviously lives on the Seattle side of the water! I've always found it a pain, and walked some serious distances from the first available spot.(all the while hoping the bozos I squeezed in between are nice to my car.)

Originally Posted by Rahtok
We often go camping down near Ilwaco, it's definitely a longer day. 8 hours in the car, easy.
Agreed. I've made the Bremerton to Long Beach run in 2.5 hours with my son on board (meaning I wasnt really lead footing it, but was driving non-stop and making good time.) Stops and such will break the drive up but add time. With both 8 or 9 departures, I figure we would still be back in daylight.

My reasoning for this direction is that the Whidbey loop has always put me back in Tacoma after dark realizing it too was an 8 hour drive... Did it 3 times last year, so I was hoping for something out of the ordinary this time.

I'm not fond of freeway myself, but 4 is a beautiful road, and I have never driven 6, so I put them in there as options.

V

Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Thats right! I was going to go look up that old info you gave me a ways back... You recommended a few down near the wharf district.
Names again?

V
There's the Wet Dog on the water in the middle of town, the Fort George a little back from the water and the Rouge on an old cannery pier at the East end of town all brewing their own and all worth a visit.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Well you said Krispy Kreme and I ran over and put it on my calendar straight away! (Just kidding, it was already there, but I do love Krispy Kreme!) Sounds like a blast guys. I have never been to that part of the state, nor have I spent 8 hours/day in my XK so it will be a good learning experience all-around

One of the routes back along the Columbia looks like it would be beautiful and fun, but I'm not keen to take the I-5 all the way back either.

I'm out to make new friends, listen to some tunes, and drive; so weather and route are secondary issues. I'm just glad we are getting some interest. Any Oregon folks lurking out there? Anybody with an S-Type? I'd love to take a short ride in one of those. They're so pretty.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 AM

What about coming up the Westside Hwy that parallels I-5 to the west? I can't tell if its a little back road or if it would have traffic lights and mini-malls.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM

I like both, but your concept of "easy parking" comes from someone that obviously lives on the Seattle side of the water! I've always found it a pain, and walked some serious distances from the first available spot.(all the while hoping the bozos I squeezed in between are nice to my car.)
As for parking, we'll have to park en bloc. Somebody bring some cones that we can place on either side! It always takes me forever to find a suitable spot, but somehow I don't really mind.

Ok, I'll quit repeat-posting now.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
There's the Wet Dog on the water in the middle of town, the Fort George a little back from the water and the Rouge on an old cannery pier at the East end of town all brewing their own and all worth a visit.
Thanks Norri! I remember looking up Wet Dog and it struck me as a great little place. Would love to try it.
wetdogcafe.com

MuddyDog - I'll have 6 cones with me! The side roads along I-5 do wander a bit, and often get stuck in a rural 35mph mode. Although this can be a great adventure, it would add serious time to the return. No matter how I dance the route it bumps us to over 4 hours+ drive on the return.

BTW: If you own FRS radios... Bring them with fresh batteries for car to car chatter. I have a few spares.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
What about coming up the Westside Hwy that parallels I-5 to the west? I can't tell if its a little back road or if it would have traffic lights and mini-malls.
I was looking at the map and was curious about that route also. Anyone been that way?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM

This route is kinda parallel to I5 but is all rural.
Not too many mini malls viewing it from satellite view
Adds about 1 hour from Kelso to Tacoma according to Google Maps compared to I5.
Could be an option and easy to jump to the freeway if required.
Anyone been this way before?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...bad8cd26b2b17b

Any section of it could be combined with any of the #1, #2 or #3 return route options and stay away from I5 and the traffic......

Allan

Last edited by growler05; 04-02-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

I've driven from Vader south. Nice stretch.
If attendees are game for the extra saddle time, I say peg it as option #5. 4 hrs 30 minutes, 180 miles

Might be best to pick our return while in Astoria. This would let us look at our watches and see what we have invested in the day so far.

V

Last edited by CleverName; 04-02-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

We really need a few cars beside XKs and XKRs just to add extra sweetness to the group...
No others interested?

Speak up!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 PM

I've driven from Vader south. Nice stretch.
If attendees are game for the extra saddle time, I say peg it as option #5. 4 hrs 30 minutes, 180 miles

Might be best to pick our return while in Astoria. This would let us look at our watches and see what we have invested in the day so far.

V
I think that's a great idea.

Last edited by growler05; 04-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I would love to do it but I have two problems. First, Astoria is pretty much a full day's drive for me even without stops, takes a minimum of 5 hours and usually 7-8 with stops. Second, I'll be at Tofino on Vancouver Island the 18th-21st (I'll wave at Allan on the Sunshine Coast from the Tsawassen-Nanaimo ferry as I cross the Strait of Georgia). I'm told the road to Tofino will satisfy anyone's craving for curves and corners.

I for one thought the Leavenworth run last fall was simply fantastic, I enjoyed it much more than the earlier St. Helens run (although that was great fun too). I hope I can make some of the summer drives, and am even curious about joining Vince for his Lewiston adventure (about the same drive time to Lewiston as to Astoria).

Old 04-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
I would love to do it but......
Sorry to hear you cant make it swimref. Would love to have that beautiful XF adding its touch of style to the group!

So far this is what I see.

Attendees:
1.) Myself
2.) MuddyDog
3.) Growler05
4.) Marko
5.) Rahtok - tentative
6.)
7.)

Departure time from Krispy Kreme is still undecided....
Whats the consensus? 8 or 9?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Sorry to hear you cant make it swimref. Would love to have that beautiful XF adding its touch of style to the group!

So far this is what I see.

Attendees:
1.) Myself
2.) MuddyDog
3.) Growler05
4.) Marko
5.) Rahtok - tentative
6.)
7.)

Departure time from Krispy Kreme is still undecided....
Whats the consensus? 8 or 9?
Krispy Kreme sounds good to me and I vote for 8:00am.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Growler, that's 2 for the 8am so far, and 3 undecided.

Still prodding the crowd for additional cars to join along! Odd we don't see and Oregon folk wanting to join in for lighthouse/wet dog/column part of the gathering... Astoria is a hop-skip-and-jump from the Portland area!

Come-on Oregonians! Lets show off these Cats!
(Hope to see a few join in on the St Helen's run as well!)

Vince

Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

That was my first trip in the S I bought it in Portland and drove back to Astoria.
It was wet and miserable but didn't matter.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
That was my first trip in the S I bought it in Portland and drove back to Astoria.
It was wet and miserable but didn't matter.
I bet!

Hey, for all - Forum member Doug tells me that Hwy30 is a dangerous road, with fatalities being a regular news item. Just an FYI.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 AM

I've driven 30 from the east into Portland. It definitely takes some attention to the road, but it's a beautiful river drive.

+1

Last edited by Muddydog; 04-08-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odd we don't see and Oregon folk wanting to join in for lighthouse/wet dog/column part of the gathering... Astoria is a hop-skip-and-jump from the Portland area!

Come-on Oregonians! Lets show off these Cats!

Vince[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking it may be that Oregonians are aware of the significant amount of road construction going on in Astoria right now. I looked for an article or road report but couldn't find one, but the bridge and main drag are supposedly a mess right now.

I'm still tempted to join you guys for lunch in Astoria, would love to check out your jags and meet you guys, but am leery about where I'm going to park my 89 xjs with a recent repaint.

Brent

Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oceansonmars

I'm thinking it may be that Oregonians are aware of the significant amount of road construction going on in Astoria right now. I looked for an article or road report but couldn't find one, but the bridge and main drag are supposedly a mess right now.

I'm still tempted to join you guys for lunch in Astoria, would love to check out your jags and meet you guys, but am leery about where I'm going to park my 89 xjs with a recent repaint.

Brent
By all means! Join in!

Would love to see your pride and joy XJS all "new and sparkly"! All of us will be searching for a safe haven for our Cats each time we park (so your not alone in your concerns). I have seen on other drives that as a group, it is easier to protect one-another's car by parking together.

Vince

Quick Reply: April Meet and Drives