US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

August Meet and Drives

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

BUMP.........

Looks like we need a list of some sort so we can see who is a definite / maybe etc etc
?

thoughts Vince?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Looks like we need a list of some sort so we can see who is a definite / maybe etc etc
Agreed:
This is gonna be tough, because a two day event requires commitment. Attendees will need rooms booked in advance, and some idea to planning. Lot harder than the day drives I comfortably know...

Still here is a rough draft:
Departure from Enumclaw, > Drive south on 410 > 123 > 12 > NF25 >NE90 > NF30(Wind River Road) to Carson WA
This is none stop amazing road for 5+ hours (Google lists drive time as 4hrs 10 min) before hitting the Columbia.
http://goo.gl/maps/TdXWn

Hood River is another 30 minutes from Carson, on fun fast riverside highways.

Day one is busy, so an early start is important. 8AM would put us riverside by 3pm and In Hood River by 3:30-4PM.

With 3+ hours of daylight, we would need to plan our intent. Check-in, then Multnomah falls 30 minutes west, for a great evening vista, and a lodge there for decent dining, or return to HR for Pizza and good micro-brews at Double Mountain. (HR has many good eateries)

The following morning requires 2 hours to drive the old Columbia River Highway and take in 7 of the 8 waterfalls. (The 8th can be hiked to if you don't mine wading up to your hips... It is an amazing canyon hike, but towels and water shoes are a must.
If waterfalls are not to the groups liking, there is a nice run up the east side of Mount Hood with great vistas of the mountain, or a small Car/Air Museum near HR that is said to be quite nice. Bonneville dam visits as well. Key problem with the falls is parking. Very difficult with one car, yet alone many. I have seen lines of cars at the big falls 6 and 7 deep, waiting for someone to leave...

Alas the return must be kept in mind, and can be via the arrival route, I-5 (yuck) or the back roads we have traveled earlier this year that parallel I-5

Folks from various locations can meet up along the way. Key towns we pass through would be Packwood WA, Randel WA, Cougar WA (close to), Carson WA, then Hood River

I cannot stress the falls enough, only because of my own personal experience. Having lived on the west coast all my life, I knew only 101, and I-5 for 40+ years (driving the route yearly). Somewhere after that I was told of the historic highway and falls, and finally went to see it for myself. Needless to say I was stunned that such beauty was only an hour east of I-5 all these years, and I never knew it...

Vince

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Bueller....... Bueller?.....
Wow, let me put away the rusty pliers..... I have already scared off everybody.....

So far
17th-18th SwimRef (Tentative), Muddydog
24th-25th Bertbo

Any - Vince
Unspecified - Marko
Unspoken - Many

Time is short, so a "fail" will happen quickly if no one shows interest.

Alternate would be a day drive... Maybe Ocean Shores....

Last edited by CleverName; 08-04-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I could do either weekend. :-)

Old 08-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

BUMP

Originally Posted by CleverName
Bueller....... Bueller?.....
Wow, let me put away the rusty pliers..... I have already scared off everybody.....

So far
17th-18th SwimRef (Tentative)
24th-25th Bertbo

Any - Vince
Unspecified - Marko
Unspoken - Many

Time is short, so a "fail" will happen quickly if no one shows interest.

Alternate would be a day drive... Maybe Ocean Shores....

Old 08-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

My favorite place in the Gorge is Oneonta Gorge, which may be the canyon hike to which Vince referred. I don't go all the way to the falls (or the deep water), I just like to go a 1/4 mile in from the road until you can no longer see or hear any trace of man and his noise. It is exactly like being in Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World but without the dinosaurs. A great experience. 620 ft. high (2nd highest in North America) Multnomah Falls is of course a must see as well, and several of the other falls beg for substantial camera time. I hope this happens on the weekend I have free.

JimC64 (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

What fun is it without the dinosaurs?

Old 08-03-2013, 03:42 PM

You know, Ocean Shores would be great too! (Jim)

Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM

E@RTC has a drive scheduled from Redmond to Tacoma after the show. That should be a sight to see. From their website

Saturday, August 31

Drive to Griot's Garage Tacoma
When
Saturday, Aug 31, 2013
Where
Griot's Garage retail store, Tacoma, WA, 11:00 am until 2:00 pm (map)
Description
Drive to Griot's
Griot's Garage (located in old Coca-Cola plant)
3333 South 38th Street
Tacoma, WA 98409

Map link:
http://goo.gl/maps/2Xvj2
more details» copy to my calendar

JimC64 (08-03-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Muddy asked I list him as in on the 17th-18th....

Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Muddy asked I list him as in on the 17th-18th....
Thanks Vince. I like to reserve my posts for smart-aleck comments as much as possible

Speaking of which, who made the t-shirts? Two-day drives deserve commemorative t-shirts.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Thanks Vince. I like to reserve my posts for smart-aleck comments as much as possible

Speaking of which, who made the t-shirts? Two-day drives deserve commemorative t-shirts.
Sorry for stealing your chance at posting fame.... I 'll try my best to give many more chances....

Still looking for more interest.....
17-18 - Muddydog, Swimref (Tenative)
24-25 - Bertbo
Any - Clevername, Marko
others?

Vince

Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, so responce to this gathering has been less than optimal....
As I see it, we have a few of our regulars poised and ready for the 17th, and only a single newcomer (bertbo) even willing to discuss a gathering of Jags...

Is the concept of a two day run just reaching too far?. ......I Understand that for us near the Seattle area, the time behind the wheel is quite long, but my counter argument is that I have never had a car of such refinement as my Jag, and the quality of the car and its ride makes these trip so simple to do!

Preparations:
Right now, I am focused on the majority vote of the 17th-18th, and hope bertbo might consider the alternate date?
August is a tough time for travel, as many are on the road getting the last hurah before the start of school. This means more traffic, and more difficulty in finding rooms. If we move froward, we need to lock this down ASAP and get reservations in place.

So I need some help here folks.... Any last minute owners want to join in, bail out, or meet up in Hood River?
Hotel and resturant recomendations?

Other thoughts?

BTW Marko, I'm up for Ocean Shores any time... Easy day run for me....

Vince

JimC64 (08-07-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Hood River...

I live in Vancouver, WA. Hood River is an awesome drive. I have been up and down the Gorge on both sides. I have also been to Mt. Hood, Mt St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, The Oregon and Washington Coasts, Etc. My only problem is I have strictly Wed. and Thursday available every week. My weekends are always busy. I love day trips but cannot do a 2 day weekend anywhere. I would enjoy meeting Sat. the 17th or Sunday the 18th, but it would be after 4 PM for me.

CleverName (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

HI?
I was thinking that a 2 day for 1st time out might be to much. I live on Whidbey Is (A great place to visit) which would add 2-3 hours to the drive. I'm the leader of the seniors group so showing up for the activity would be nice. So, I'll pass on the 17th.
I'd love to do an Ocean shores visit with y'all. I guess, meet somewhere south of Seattle then caravan on down????
I just fixed my XJ vandenplas and would like to exchange war stories with a steller group of Jag owners. I wish you a gr8 journey!!!!
feelings not hurt.
Thanx, Bertbo

CleverName (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:34 PM

We could just do ocean shores, I'm up for anything.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Doin my best to not let this lack of response get to me... but it kinda does...

I had hoped to show Muddy and Marko, the Columbia Gorge, because it is a place you will take your family and visiting relatives to, just to show off some of the best the Northwest has on display. their never having been there almost mandated the attempt.

But logistics are also fighting me....

1.) The back road run is not passenger friendly... (5+ hours of twisties can get to the best of them, even when driven gently). This makes the "family friendly" part of the equation questionable.
2.) Timing is tight... early start Saturday, and busy till dusk. Early start Sunday, knowing we need to be northbound at a reasonable hour makes time at all the various falls limited, and on a watchful timeline.

I have no problems with the run myself, but I fear I may be over-promising what would be the reality of the event...(IE lots of seat time, annoying parking lots, and "on the fly" food and drinks). Of course, this is what I do....so I'm use to it....

I will remain committed till all of you decide otherwise.

Day runs: No reason not to have one. 24th or 30th
Ocean Shores is easy, but boring. (The jag is the first car I have owned that I will not take out on the beach!...grrr)
Crescent Lake and SolDuc Hotsprings puts nature and rain forests in your face.
Grand Coulee Dam is a great run, but 4 hours each way (errr...make that 3 using I90 for starts)

Vince

Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Guys didn't see the invite! I am taking my Jag down the coast to San Diego leaving Sunday, but hopefully I can participate in a meet when I get back in October, hope something comes to fruition for you guys! Cheers- Nick

Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mugatu
Sorry Guys didn't see the invite! I am taking my Jag down the coast to San Diego leaving Sunday, but hopefully I can participate in a meet when I get back in October, hope something comes to fruition for you guys! Cheers- Nick
Bummer... Hope to catch up with you on the next one!

So, 7 day out...
Muddy, Marko, Swimref, and myself are still a "go".

Who wants to join up in-route? vpjag? tubeviper?

V

Old 08-10-2013, 02:02 PM

As per PM, can't do overnight, but would do day drive. Ocean Shores?

Quick Reply: August Meet and Drives