US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Autumn drive to Leavenworth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Autumn drive to Leavenworth?

So, as autumn approaches, I'm reminded that the colors on highway 2 will be staring to turn soon (Thanks to our warm weather we are a few weeks behind right now... Things are still pretty green up there).

As Leavenworth also has Oktoberfest, I was wondering if any Jag drivers would like to get together and make a day run in October?

Issues:
  • Rain... It is the PNW after all, and our weather will soon return to normal. Really shouldn't stop a drive...but....
  • Traffic... The drive is popular, as is Oktoberfest.
  • Parking: Weekends in Leavenworth are always problematic unless you park a ways out... (I think shuttle services will be in effect?)
  • Fires: Hopefully they are all out and the eastern side of the Cascades aren't chard ruins.
Do the loop... Hwy 2 over, Hwy 97 to I-90 back (or reversed)?
Weekend of the 13th or 20th?

I'd vote the 20th, but can make either...

Vince
Just tossin thoughts into the wind... Seein' if any cats go chasin' after it.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi, I couldn't do it during the week, but the weekend sounds good. I'm checking with my better half on schedule, but I'm a tentative "Yes" if this happened on the weekend.

Cheers,

Marko

Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Good to hear there is another driver out there! I know we are pretty limited in numbers, but 4 or 5 of the big cats would certainly draw looks from all bystanders! Weekdays are definitely out......

I dont shy from rain, but wonder if it would be possable to pick one date (13th) and hold the 20th in reserve if storms threaten the day... (say, "Go"/"No Go" call about three days out?) ...Pretty easy to do with my schedual that month....

Im tossing ideas hoping others will step up and help with planning and cordonation...
Places along the way?

V

Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Sounds good to me, keeping it flexible depending on weather (especially for the convertible owners. )

I have to admit I don't know the area very well. I've only been up there once, some years ago. But I'd be happy to check out some place on the way, do some research.

Let's see if we find anybody else. I think I saw a couple new members from WA joining...

Happy Tuesday!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be interested. Weekend vote here also, let us know if this pans out.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm in. I'd vote the weekend of the 20th as well -- already checked the schedule and the wife loves fall drives. We usually do one anyway, but doing it like this will be more fun.

Although, I'd add that frankly we should just plan to do it rain or shine. If you shy away from rain in October, you'll never get anything done. And I'm one of those convertible owners. ;P

I'm of a mind to vote Sunday over Saturday, but either one can work right now.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

NEVER plan to come back on 2, and avoid returns on Sunday afternoon at any rate, as everyone else is coming back then!
The backups east of Monroe, and slowdowns with traffic at Goldbar, Statup, and Sultan then the first signal in Monroe can have you tearing your hair out.
Jump over the river at Sultan, take the old road down the other side.
Dave

Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
NEVER plan to come back on 2, and avoid returns on Sunday afternoon at any rate, as everyone else is coming back then!
The backups east of Monroe, and slowdowns with traffic at Goldbar, Statup, and Sultan then the first signal in Monroe can have you tearing your hair out.
Jump over the river at Sultan, take the old road down the other side.
Dave
Thanks for the heads up of the reverse route idea.... sounds like solid advice to avoid. So 2 over and 90 home is my recommendation

I was thinking Ben Howard Road out of Monroe that you mention would be a good side route too... Looks like nice countryside driving.

I now have one vote and a hearty maybe for the 20th. I can't argue with Ratok's logic of weather, as I have lived here over 3 decades, and hey.... it rains... Just wanting to pick a "majority rules" day.

Route stops: I only know a few. One is right out of Gold Bar heading east.... (county park along the river with short gravel road entrance). Always loved to take river pictures there.
Another is the pull off parking lot for (small) waterfall view....
There is/was a big fruit stand on the way back at the junction of 2 and 97 if anyone is inclined....

Anyone driven the Old Cascade Hwy (Parallels 2 here and there)? Paved?
Anyone know Leavenworth well enough to recommend a lunch place?

So lets get a list of who would like to try.. (How bout you Curmudgeon?)

1. Clevername - 13th or 20th, no issues at this time.
2. Swimref - Maybe, if on the 20th
3. Rahtok - 20th
4. flycaster - 13th

Last edited by CleverName; 09-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Add me on the 20th.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

cant make that day headed out on holiday darn it!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 PM

I drive Old Cascades whenever possible. However, the really good section is washed out, from Money Creek campground, through Sky, and out almost to Foss River Road. The Miller River took out the entire highway just next to the old historic bridge. There's a section out of Monroe, along the sides of 2 to Sultan, various pieces here and there.

The following users liked this post:
CleverName (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by flycasterwa
cant make that day headed out on holiday darn it!
Dang... But the 13th is open?

3. Rahtok - 20th
4. flycaster - 13th

V

Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Checking with the bride when she gets home.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
Checking with the bride when she gets home.
Same here, but I think either day would work for us. I update tomorrow.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Lets keep interest going.... I am trying to let those offering commitment dictate the date in a "majority rules" decision, as I would like to see as many as possible.
So far Rahtok has spoken for himself, while I have placed "maybe" tags behind swimref and flycasters names. Marko and Curmudgeon remain undecided.
Response is less than I hoped but it looks like we could gather a few XK/R's! Adding a touch of class with an XF and a Limey limo (or two or three) in the group would be awesome!

So far the 20th seems the more popular date but late comers could swing the vote.

I drove the loop last Sunday to scout it out a bit. Found a short section of the Old Cascade Highway on the North side of 2 that was stunning to see (Thanks Curmudgeon)...Pristine single lane asphalt through dense canopied forest.

Not sure if I missed other parts of it, but I did backtrack off Stevens pass trying the upper part of the road... but was forced to turn around as it was very sad shape.
Not a lot of color change yet, but two weeks will bring out the best.

Total loop time for me was about 6 hours from Monroe to Federal Way, with a stop for lunch and a few side road explorations. Early parts of hwy97 home was quite smoky and smoldering remnants of the fire lined the side of the road for about 3 miles or so... rather sad yet fascinating to see.... (Make sure your in car air filters work! Mine was on recirculate for a good 30 minutes of the trip.) I-90 is speed limited thank to "speed averaging" cameras in the construction zones....grrrr

Lunch options: Personally, "bring your own food" works for me. Maybe Wenatchee State Park (Entry fee required) for a picnic on the shore of the lake? Or we could break in Leavenworth to find pizza or brauts (wouldn't mind a braut and a beer if any of you have/know a good place to eat.)

3. Rahtok - 20th
4. flycaster - 13th

Vince

Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
Wink Another Goat Track?

OK Vince, make me a "yes" for the 20th, cannot make it the 13th. Some parts of old Highway 2 are unmaintained to the point of the surface being barely driveable, as well as narrowing to one lane. I hope you won't take me on anything even worse than that "goat track" at Mt. St. Helens! (Just kidding.) Since I now know what you like, I'll suggest you take a look at old Highway 97, "Old" Blewett Pass rather than Swauk Pass (often erroneously referred to as Blewett Pass). Personally, I think the "newer" road is hairy enough, plenty of mountain curves and a pretty rough surface in places, but I know you would prefer the old "widowmaker highway," if the surface has not deteriorated past the point of no return.
If we will be in Wenatchee at lunchtime, car guys simply must stop at Dusty's, one of the finest old style burger and shake places anywhere in the state. I can't make too late a day of it, as I have an early Sunday morning commitment, so can we get a nice early start?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
OK Vince, make me a "yes" for the 20th, cannot make it the 13th. Some parts of old Highway 2 are unmaintained to the point of the surface being barely driveable, as well as narrowing to one lane. I hope you won't take me on anything even worse than that "goat track" at Mt. St. Helens! (Just kidding.) Since I now know what you like, I'll suggest you take a look at old Highway 97, "Old" Blewett Pass rather than Swauk Pass (often erroneously referred to as Blewett Pass). Personally, I think the "newer" road is hairy enough, plenty of mountain curves and a pretty rough surface in places, but I know you would prefer the old "widowmaker highway," if the surface has not deteriorated past the point of no return.
If we will be in Wenatchee at lunchtime, car guys simply must stop at Dusty's, one of the finest old style burger and shake places anywhere in the state. I can't make too late a day of it, as I have an early Sunday morning commitment, so can we get a nice early start?
WooHoo! Glad to have ya onboard!

......Goat track?.... ouch...

Alas I have to agree that the upper part of the old highway is not well suited for motor vehicles with less than a foot of ground clearance....
But that lower part was stunningly beautiful and not a pothole to be found! The tree huger in me says I'd like to show it off on this trip (its only a 10 to 15 minute side road paralleling 2 anyhow...) This means we bypass Deception falls, or maybe backtrack on 2 a few miles to take it in as well.

Assuming the winds remain from the northwest, I don't think Wenatchee itself is a good call. Puts us deep into the heaviest smoke. Heading west on 97 you see it was the firebreak in areas. The south side is still smoldering in spots, but is fully contained. Thanks to the light smoldering, we still have to suffer about 30 minutes of hazy smoke on the route... (Those with breathing issues like myself take note!)

Swimref, for our short time together, you seem to know me well! I would have done Old Blewett in a heart beat, but it is closed and barricaded for fire control. I see the fire map says there is a small fire up there, so I hope it gets contained before it spreads to the north side of 97, but for now, the widow-maker is out...<sigh> (Some spectacular viewpoints from up there too, darn it!) Hate to say it but I hope they get some rain over there soon...

I recommend meeting up in Monroe, with departure at 8:30 or 9:00am.

Vince

Fire map:
http://inciweb.org/incident/3258/

2. Swimref - 20th
3. Rahtok - 20th
4. flycaster - 13th

Last edited by CleverName; 10-02-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM

Just found out I need to be in Eugene Oregon for Business on the 19th. I'm flying back into Seattle and land at 7:30am (on the 20th!) at SeaTac. I'm taking the oh dark thirty flight back so I can still come on the drive. Don't start too early! ;P I'm just headin from airport, to home to get wifey, then will be heading out to meet everyone.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Just found out I need to be in Eugene Oregon for Business on the 19th. I'm flying back into Seattle and land at 7:30am (on the 20th!) at SeaTac. I'm taking the oh dark thirty flight back so I can still come on the drive. Don't start too early! ;P I'm just headin from airport, to home to get wifey, then will be heading out to meet everyone.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya, but that's going to be a tough schedule to meet.
Dragging yer butt out at O-dark-thirty to deal with TSA and all the modern airport fun (admittedly Eugene is an easy port to cope with), you'll just be gland to walk in your front door and get off your feet! 4 hours of airport "fun" is darn stressful for any of us.
A drive could still be doable, but I suspect your gonna be so darn wiped out you'll wished you stayed home...

Again, my fingers are crossed (Hint: 5-hour energy actually works pretty good at times like these) but don't stress yourself if it isn't meant to be...

Vince

Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM

Nope. I'm goin. Just make the start time at like... 9am at a reasonable distance.

Also, have another friend coming in a little redline sky he just picked up. Looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: Autumn drive to Leavenworth?