US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Autumn drive to Leavenworth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts
Default A few pics...

There's more, but I figure here's the highlights. Rain, grey, a little snow, a little sun, a LOTTA sun, a little cold, BAM SNOW!

Attached Thumbnails Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf1932.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf1943.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf1967.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf1975.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf1982.jpg  

Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf1992.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2005.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2021.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2029.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2048.jpg  

Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2053.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2055.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2059.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2061.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2066.jpg  

Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2074.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2078.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2087.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2099.jpg   Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2103.jpg  

Autumn drive to Leavenworth?-dscf2105.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Rahtok:
GGG (11-02-2012), Swimref (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

I certainly learned a lot with this trip. The most annoying mistake was not having the mile marker locations for much of our drive... I totally spaced Ben Howard Road, had Old Cascade Hwy "suddenly" upon us, blew by restrooms and passed the fire area thinking there was more ahead Also missed the park coming down the western side of Snoqualmie because I was depending on seeing it... (Turns out we were still in the blizzard when we went by it, so I don't feel too bad there...)

Now that we have one event under or belts, I think the next will be even better... More picture stops required.....

Thanks all for a great day!
(nice shots Rahtok! Mine didn't turn out so good but I got one of ya!)

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 10-21-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

I just wanted to thank Vince for organizing this. I really enjoyed my day and found it more fun and much more relaxing than the Audi tour to Mt. St. Helens. Eight people seemed like the ideal size group, and it was fun getting to know everyone. The Audi boys seemed to be in sort of a macho competition with each other, where our group was relaxed and just enjoying the experience. I really liked it and am looking forward to more, and any weather will be OK!

Thanks again Vince, very good job!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Rahtok
There's more, but I figure here's the highlights. Rain, grey, a little snow, a little sun, a LOTTA sun, a little cold, BAM SNOW!
All four seasons in a weekend!

Looks a beautiful area. I'll probably never get there but appreciate seeing the scenery and the Jaguars.

Graham

Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
I really liked it and am looking forward to more, and any weather will be OK!

I'm working on a few routes for consideration and will start posting maps soon. With the holidays upon us, and winter quickly approaching, I don't foresee anything happening till early next year.

The routes I'm looking at seem to break down most easily into three categories;
One day loops: (We have about 6-7 wonderful options but 80% include passes or winter road closures.)
One day in-and-outs: (Trips to Ocean Shores and the like require retracing your route.)
Two day loops: (For the adventurous.... Things like the Columbia River Scenic Highway require a stay someplace like Hood River for the drive to be enjoyable.)

Sadly, I'm working on this solely from a Seattle/Puget Sound perspective. I'm sure our Oregon and Idaho brethren have some great roads to see as well, I just cant map them out and plan anything for them.

One exception... SWIMREF has brought my attention to a series of roads in Idaho that can be reached in about 6hrs drive time. I may make a two or three day run in that direction next summer just to experience them... >>> US-95 S to US-95 S - Google Maps (look closely at the most northern and most southern end of this route...wow....).

Lowland drives (Whidbey Island, or places like Pt Townsend) may be worth talking about come Jan. or Feb. but weather would be a dominating factor.

April is where things start to get nice again and the better mountain roads often don't open till late May - early June.

I'll post more ideas and maps soon....

V

Last edited by CleverName; 11-04-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Hey Vince,
Lewiston/Clarkston is not really that far, about the same as Spokane, under 5 hours from the I-90/SR18 interchange. I think 2 days for that trip is certainly doable, but if 3 days it gives us much more flex time. A 3 day trip could just go to Lewiston the first day and rest up, filling with gas at the Clarkston Costco. 2nd day bright and early attack the old spiral highway, first up the mountain, then after appropriate discussion blast it downhill (this the part that scares the c*** out of me). An hour and a quarter gets us to Whitebird, where we will also want a run in both directions and maybe get lunch if we can find a place. For the third day we could vary the route and return via Walla Walla and down the Columbia past McNary Dam, then across the Horse Heaven Hills on old Hwy 221 past the state's largest winery. From Yakima to Ellensburg old Canyon Road, not the new freeway.
When you plan the 1 day trips don't forget LaConner and of course Chuckanut Drive (must be a bright sunny day and, if after Memorial Day, a weekday), and maybe Peace Arch Park in Blaine with a loop through Lynden.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call me silly but I want to have a few more "Local" miles on the XJ-S before I take on a long road trip like this. I want to have some suspicion of reliability before getting too far from Home (and the tool box)...:-) I am thinking the spring should be just about right.

Marty (one of the newbies)...............

Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MartySchwartz
Call me silly but I want to have a few more "Local" miles on the XJ-S before I take on a long road trip like this. I want to have some suspicion of reliability before getting too far from Home (and the tool box)...:-) I am thinking the spring should be just about right.

Marty (one of the newbies)...............
Agreed,

Fear not, as I talk of distance drives because it is my hobby and not what the average Jag owner will embrace. (Sounds like SWIMREF may have that driving bug as well!) I've seen and driven most the local stuff, so I start picking more distant destinations, and you certainly cant argue the fact the a Jag makes getting there part of the fun!

I plan on a new thread to discuss local stuff like loops (see image), or runs to Hurricane ridge n such. Should give you a chance to sort out your new toy and join in on the fun!

Vince

Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I completely understand. I used to do the same with motorcycles when I lived in warmer, drier, climes. Once we moved up here the weather was less conducive to biking and I go bitten by the boat-bug. Only had time for one "B" and boats won big-time. Now I have a Jag, WHAT was I thinking! Oh yea, I was thinking I always wanted a Jag....:-)

Marty..................

Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR Snow?

How did the car handle in the snow? Im looking to buy a 2007/2008 XKR. I test drove one and wow I loved it! Im selling my Lotus Elise (Its on ebay now) to buy a fun fast daily driver that can go through the snow etc.. I know the car has a ton of power but with some snow tires how would the car be? I looked around and couldnt find an answer. Thanks!

David

Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM

There are several threads here on this subject, including many posts from Canadians and others facing heavy snow driving. The consensus seems to be don't even try the snow on summer performance tires, which you would probably have (and extra wide in the rear) on the models you are considering. All seasons are certainly better, but not in the same league with true winter tires. Very good results are claimed for dedicated winter performance tires such as Pirelli P Zero winter tires no wider than 245 all around mounted on a second set of wheels. Newer models also have "Winter Mode" that locks out first gear and damps down throttle response, which works quite well on the slippery stuff. With proper tires and a light touch with the right foot you should be in great shape in a great car.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

I don't want to speak for Rahtok and his XKR on this trip, but I was very nervous getting caught on the slick stuff even with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and a base 4.2L XK. Gentile throttle was all you dare do, hoping just to maintain a steady slow speed. Very stressful......
I imagined a 5.0/Super even with snow mode offered no relaxation time thanks to its ample torque. (Times like that I would wish for a way to bleed off boost pressures and run N/A along with snow mode!)

<sigh> If only I had those XKR problems to battle.....

Vince

Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Lulz. Yeah, it was a little dicey on the summer tires. I did put snow mode on, so that smoothed and numbed out throttle response. I imagine with real all season or even snow tires that it'd be fine. Traction control is much smoother on the XKR than it is in my 350z. Personally, if it was my primary transportation I'd get another set of rims with snow tires and call it good. I've got a truck though... so the XKR just stays in the garage when it gets truly evil out. I do drive it in the rain all the time with no issues though.