US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

June meet and Drive-St Hellens

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Hummmm

Maps out correctly for me on both Firefox and IE.
Here is the long link, both show me the full 22hr route

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ta...,3,6,8&t=m&z=8

V

Attached Images  

Last edited by CleverName; 04-03-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Seems to be working now.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
I'm not proposing anything for May unless others want to step up! (hint hint, nudge nudge) I was heading south to NorCal the last full week, but that has changed so I'm open.

Columbia Rriver and the old Columbia hwy are always nice with spring flowers and rushing water falls that time of year, but again, part of the enjoyable roads (Hwy 26) getting there may still be closed with snow. That leaves you with a chunk of dull I-5 to run. (And, it is best on a two day event with overnight in Hood River.)

Another 2 day that is great is to Tillimook OR, along the coast. Then and swing east to McMinville and take in the famous Spruce Goose on the way back north.

Lewiston is still on my summer list, but I have decided to make it a 4 day trip. Lewiston to Huntington to Hood River(via 26).
Tacoma, WA to Tacoma, WA - Google Maps

For St Helen's,I think I need to push the trip up to the 1st or 8th of June, or delay it till the 6th of July. Obviously forum members have ultimate say to the date, which is fine as long as it is in the best interest of the group drive.

V
Works now......looks like a great drive.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

This is one of the key roads swimref pointed out
Access Rd to Down River Rd - Google Maps

and
Unknown road to River Rd - Google Maps

and one of my favorite Washington roads
WA-14 E/Lewis and Clark Hwy to Tacoma, WA - Google Maps

V

Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Those look fabulous. I think I took hwy 12 on the way back from Lewiston once and that was a fun road. Although I could have wandered off the path from time to time, as I am prone to do. I've driven 95 into Lewiston from the north many times. Coming down that elevation is something special on the freeway. I didn't realize there was a side road that looks even more exciting.

I don't understand, are you thinking of doing an East-side loop instead of Mt St Helen's?

*edit: No, scratch what I said about hwy 12. It was some other road that ran through Colefax. Maybe Green Hollow? I was trying to make my way back up to I90.

Anyway, the point is the rugged terrain out there makes for a fun drive.

Last edited by Muddydog; 04-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I don't understand, are you thinking of doing an East-side loop instead of Mt St Helen's?
No no no... So sorry...

I got my posts messed up between this topic and the April drive where swimref said
Originally Posted by Swimref
am even curious about joining Vince for his Lewiston adventure (about the same drive time to Lewiston as to Astoria). I can't wait for June. Is anything planned in May?
So I took off on that topic here by accident...Yeash gettin' addlebrained in my old age

Again my apologies....

Attached Images  

Last edited by CleverName; 04-04-2013 at 11:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Muddy, both the Lewiston Spiral Highway and the Whitebird Hill section about 45 min. to the south were US 95 until new sections replaced them in the late seventies. Both were built originally around 1910 and were considered marvels of engineering in their day. They were not that bad for decent cars in good weather but positively inspired terror in those pulling trailers or driving trucks. Of the two the Lewiston Spiral Highway is still fully maintained to modern standards with guard rails, centerline, full width lanes, and good pavement. Whitebird Hill is much hairier, with no shoulders (in fact it isn't even two lanes anymore, the sagebrush has grown over making it about a lane and a half), no guard rails, no centerline, somewhat rougher pavement, and so many true hairpins you will not believe it. When Whitebird was the only road between northern and southern Idaho, it was known as "the goat track" and "the trailer's graveyard."

I drove both last September, in the uphill direction only and not that fast (nagging frightened wife passenger), but if I got the Jag back there again I'd have to "man up" and do faster runs and in both directions.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep me on the list ... I missed last year ... but June 8 would work for me. I like that route ... was actually telling wife I was going to take her on the mountain loop in a few weeks, which is just a minor deviation of that route.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:39 PM

Any more info or consensus on this? I gather its a June 8 long cruise vs. an afternoon drive after Jag day at E@RTC on the 15th?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Don't think is is a "one vs another" thing. At least not as far as i'm concered....
June 8th is the St Helens run, rain or shine.

The 15th was an offered up suggestion for after the Exotics event. I'm in for that, but need someone on that side of the water to lay out a reasonable route (2-3 hours max).
Think we will need a lunch either before we head out, or "on route".
Anyone interested in making it happen?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

How bout a run up 202 (Cascade Valley Heritage Corridor) to the falls? Then maybe 203 to Monroe?

-just thinkin out loud

v

Last edited by CleverName; 05-13-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:27 PM

If we wanted to drive a little first, there is a decent bar and grill in North Bend, about 40 minutes from RTC. From there we could go south on Cedar Falls Rd and loop around Rattlesnake Mountain (about 1hour by the map estimate). It joins back up with 18 and takes us directly to Snoqualmie Falls, a good second stop. We could take either 203 or 202 back north.

I've never driven Cedar Falls Rd but I always see the exit off I-90 and would like to try it someday. The problem with Googling these little back roads is a lot of them are private, but you don't know it until you get there.

I was looking for a way to Tolt Reservoir the other day and ran into this problem.

The other problem with this area is all the traffic.

The ProAm Drift competition will be going on at Evergreen Speedway in Monroe starting 11:00 am. It's a $10 ticket to attend. I don't know how late they are running, but it may be a fun final destination if they go on into the evening. I can call and find out.

My father- and brother-in-law will be here over June 8 weekend and we have plans. What rotten luck! No way you could bump St Helen's to Sunday the 9th, could you?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
My father- and brother-in-law will be here over June 8 weekend and we have plans. What rotten luck! No way you could bump St Helen's to Sunday the 9th, could you?
Not sure that option would win many votes.... Its a long days drive...
Recommendation: Put your brother-in-law in the passenger seat, leave wifey home for some quality dad and daughter time (just sell it as a win-win!).
But... As of right now, I'm sill clueless to how many will really join in on the St Helen's run.

Guess it is getting close enough to start asking.

So.... Lets start getting serious...
How many are hoping to join in on our St Helen's Gathering/Adventure June 8th?
Here's my estimated route south.
Tacoma Mall Blvd to WA-504 E/Spirit Lake Hwy - Google Maps

I hit I-5 and Castle Rock hoping we pick a few of our fellow enthusiasts coming out of Oregon.... If no one from the south speaks up we can stay inland from I-5 altogether.

Expect a full day, with early start and late return for those up near the Sound... Brown bag lunch on the mountain, parting dinner in Tacoma. 550

1.) Clevername
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)

Last edited by CleverName; 05-16-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Default Rattlesnake Mountain

Not sure which road you are referring to that goes from North Bend to 18, but if it is the one I think you are referring to, it is owned by PSE and it is gated right after the end of pavement on Rattlesnake Lake. I tried coming up from the 18 side in my 4WD a few years ago, and scared the key-rap out of my wife. No way in Hades my Jag will ever see that road.

Muddydog (05-16-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Only three weekends (20 days) away....
Who is going to be the first to join in? 584

1.) Clevername
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.)

Last edited by CleverName; 05-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Questions about a drive after the Jaguar/Exotics event on the 15th set Muddydog to workin out some ideas. As he knows that side of the water far better than I, I followed his lead and joined him as we spent a day searching for roads. We have a fairly interesting route planned out that we would like to offer for your consideration, rebuttal or revisions.

Several factors come to play, such as
1.) Limiting the time to under 3 hours
2.) Have a "destination".
3.) Anticipate the need for Lunch and Restrooms. (lunch = 1hour social time)
4.) Find some scenery.
5.) Return to common ground.

The time constraints really held us back to more local areas so we propose the following route.

Our initial destination would be Snoqualmie Falls via 202 and Fish Hatchery road.
168th Ave NE to Unknown road - Google Maps

202 is somewhat traffic laden, but casual enough, and Hatchery Road offers a chance to peal away from cars for a slower pace (Muddy is going to scout this road, as we did not get a chance to drive it, but Google Earth Street views look nice.) The Falls are running strong so it is a nice sight.

Return trip gets the good stuff, as we backtrack 202 just past Falls City
Unknown road to 168th Ave NE - Google Maps

From there, our path intertwines along the scenic Snoqualmie Valley, rich in vast farm lands and sprawling views.

One key question to answer: Food: Before or during? Exotics event ends at 11:00 to 11:30.
Lunch in Redmond or en-route? There's Snoqualmie Lodge or perhaps lighter fairs in the Town of Snoqualmie itself (anyone with recommendations?) There is also Falls City Inn or Falls City Bistro just back a few miles from the falls.

I think folks would find this an enjoyable drive. If you know the area, and feel we have made bad choices then by all means speak up! Or if you know of something awesome we missed nearby, the lets hear about it.

I'm in so far!

Vince

Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM

When and where is Exotics

Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Originally Posted by TJFilley

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-center-94858/

Muddydog (05-21-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TJFilley
When: Every sunny Saturday during the summer, from 9:00 to 11:00. In truth, cars show as early as 8:00 and depart around 11:30

The key to the event is always their Facebook page....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ExoticsRTC/201202160220#
They will give each event a "Go-NoGo" (or more correctly a Green light or Red light) several days in advance.
Chance of rain kills the event, and postponed last years Jag gathering by a week. So watch the conversations there and be flexable....

Where, is the parking lot at Redmond Town Center
Unknown road - Google Maps

Vince

Norri (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Default Possible for part of St Helens

I talked wife into E@RTC, but she really wants to go to Vantage. Thinking about starting the trip to St Helens with y'all, then peeling off over 12 and letting her see Vantage. If that does not work, then I may just do Vantage only.

Originally Posted by CleverName
Don't think is is a "one vs another" thing. At least not as far as i'm concered....
June 8th is the St Helens run, rain or shine.

The 15th was an offered up suggestion for after the Exotics event. I'm in for that, but need someone on that side of the water to lay out a reasonable route (2-3 hours max).
Think we will need a lunch either before we head out, or "on route".
Anyone interested in making it happen?

Quick Reply: June meet and Drive-St Hellens