US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Time to talk "Drives" for 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Have a great drive my friend! Sorry I can't join in, cause you picked what may be the best weekend of the month.

Getting the Jag crew out of the house and in their cars seems to be a daunting task, as none have spoken up for a Feb run.
I just got the 9th taken away (family member getting surgery), so I can't do anything that weekend as well. grrrrr

I'll hold out for the 17th a little longer and If I wind up with no takers then I have other driving invites that I recently declined. I'll be on the road one way or another, but I really want to see Jag owners embrace their cars and comradery like so many other brand owners do.

If the 16h is a dry day, I will plan on Exotics at Redmond, as I have out of town guests that would love to see all the eye candy.

Have fun,
Take some pics with your sweetheart in stunning places!

Vince

Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I'm ready to roll and looking forward to the drive.
Took a cruise in the sunshine this afternoon to get in the groove.
It's all new tracks for me, got my winter rubber on if I need it, so I'm ready for anything.
I will be taking lots of pics.

See you out there soon.

Allan

Attached Thumbnails Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-2013-02-01-15.04.16-hb1.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-2013-02-01-15.05.13-hb2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

16th 17th works for me. Either Exotics at RTC or PT. Funny thing, the first time I went to ERTC I was going to gawk at the cars when mine became one of them being gawked at. Then I was off to a charity show via invitation at the Museum of Flight.

That was a very good day.

2011 Exotics@RTC MINI Day and Angle of Attack Charity Car show | Facebook

Last edited by andnew; 02-02-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Adding link to my car
Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to see interest. Would like to hear from a few more!

I've been to 2 of the E@RTC, both times displaying my car...
Both a privilege and humbling experience being parked amongst some of the greats. (I hope they let my lowly XK in again this year!)
If weather is dry, I would think E@RTC's first event of the year should be well attended (but that's a guess). Has anyone gone to the first one of the year before? I can see many exotics still sleeping in the heated garage till spring!

I have an out of state buddy showing up that Thursday and staying through Saturday.
Weather permitting, we may drive Neah Bay Friday (15th).
If E@RTC get a green light, we will be there, a red light says we will hit LeMay, MoF, and maybe Heritage Flight to stay out of the rain.

Sunday the 17th is set aside for a PT run, regardless of weather.

-V

Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of the above trips would be good for me but I would love to do a North Cascades/ Winthrop/ Levenworth loop I have done this route in a triumph gt6 years ago (in my 20's, now in my 60's so would do it as a 2 day trip now and yes the Fall is the best time of year for that trip..

Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Thumbs up Pix of the Washington Lowlands Drive

Awesome drive. The route is posted on

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=88982

if anyone is interested.

Pix at the link below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10920...25133347394609

Would be a great drive late fall when the colors are changing..............Im planning on it and will include the Mountain Loop Hwy from Darrington to Granite Falls.

Allan

Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well, April is quickly coming to a close, and it ended with a gathering of great cars on an awesome day drive to Astoria!

I was asked once or twice about May, and admitted I had not given thought to organizing anything for the month. My focus was now on St Helen's on June 8th.

I did slip out that I intended a two day run down to the Columbia River to take in spring flowers and the waterfalls along the Historic Columbia River Highway sometime in May, but had not given thought to particular date, thinking more of a "At a whim" drive.
For those that have never been to this road, you would be shocked.... 8 magnificent waterfalls all withing 5 to 10 minutes from each other, and River vistas unlike any other.

That said, if there is enough interest and members can help sort out a preferred weekend, I will certainly do my best to accommodate with great roads and scenic stops to make the run an experience that you will certainly remember and return to year after year.

My original focus was looking at the 11th or 18th, and being a two day thing, I always spend the night in Hood River.
I have obligations Memorial day weekend, but members can do this run without me as well...

Route South
Route North

Lets see some conversation if interested...

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-22-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

An FYI for those that enjoy the back roads of Rainier NP.

Looks like they are pushing to open both Cayuse and Chinook Pass by May 4th, instead of the more traditional Memorial day weekend!

It's all weather dependent of course, but great news for planning scenic drives for the summer!
Road Status - Mount Rainier National Park

Vince
(Sunrise and Paradise Valley are projected for June 21st!)

Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Well, April is quickly coming to a close, and it ended with a gathering of great cars on an awesome day drive to Astoria!

I was asked once or twice about May, and admitted I had not given thought to organizing anything for the month. My focus was now on St Helen's on June 8th.

I did slip out that I intended a two day run down to the Columbia River to take in spring flowers and the waterfalls along the Historic Columbia River Highway sometime in May, but had not given thought to particular date, thinking more of a "At a whim" drive.
For those that have never been to this road, you would be shocked.... 8 magnificent waterfalls all withing 5 to 10 minutes from each other, and River vistas unlike any other.

That said, if there is enough interest and members can help sort out a preferred weekend, I will certainly do my best to accommodate with great roads and scenic stops to make the run an experience that you will certainly remember and return to year after year.

My original focus was looking at the 11th or 18th, and being a two day thing, I always spend the night in Hood River.
I have obligations Memorial day weekend, but members can do this run without me as well...

Route South
Route North

Lets see some conversation if interested...

Vince
I'm certainly generally interested to join another drive in May. Do you have some more details on timing, it's a one night stay thing? Any other details?

Cheers!

Marko

Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Marko
I'm certainly generally interested to join another drive in May. Do you have some more details on timing, it's a one night stay thing? Any other details?

Cheers!

Marko
My thoughts:
Although I had not planned specifics for this drive, I have done it enough times to detail most of it. It is a one night stay in Hood River.

I have 2 open weekends in May. 11/12th and 18/19th
As the scenery in this area is probably one of the most amazing, I try to pick a clear weather weekend. So I always shoot for the first, with reservations that can be canceled within 48hours should it look nasty.
Then it is a dice toss hoping the following weekend has clear skies.
Alas, I have done this only to have two bad weekends in a row, but that's the chance ya take.
I normally book a room at Comfort Suites, and grab a dinner at Double Mountain Brewery (Good beer and great Pizza) or maybe Multnomah Lodge

The sad part is that there is so much to see and do in that area, that even two days is not enough. Although I stay one night, it would be very easy for folks new to this area to stay two nights just to get a grasp on the immensity of all there is.

Departure from Tacoma area would be early(8-ish), and Hood River via mostly back road is a 5+ hour drive (4 if you use freeway).

With the back (eastern) side of St Helens still closed, Freeway driving is required (Maybe 2 hours?) in one direction, but can be minimized with side roads if desired.

Fun route to drive is to exit I-5 at Woodland, pass through Cougar, then Wind River Road to the Columbia. Guaranteed smiles.

From past visits. (Sorry, over compressed the images, so they are fuzzy)

Attached Thumbnails Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_0676.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_1146.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_1387.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_4350.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_6145.jpg  

Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_6159.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_6187.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_6259.jpg   Time to talk "Drives" for 2013-img_6266.jpg  

Last edited by CleverName; 04-24-2013 at 11:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Marko (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 AM

Sounds like a great drive and the preview pix make it all the more amazing but alas I am limited only to the weekend of the 25th.

I will be driving out to Alberta those dates so it will be kind of a road trip but it will be be in my Range Rover not my Jag.
It may be difficult to get me, my wife and 2 - 6ft+ volleyball players into the rear seat of my XKR and then drive for 12 hours. For some reason they just won‘t go for it.
( second thoughts, I won‘t go for it either.)

I will just have to save it for another time or piggyback it on to another trip.
I will be paying attention however in case anything changes.

Happy trails.

Allan

Last edited by growler05; 04-25-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName
My thoughts:
Although I had not planned specifics for this drive, I have done it enough times to detail most of it. It is a one night stay in Hood River.

I have 2 open weekends in May. 11/12th and 18/19th
As the scenery in this area is probably one of the most amazing, I try to pick a clear weather weekend. So I always shoot for the first, with reservations that can be canceled within 48hours should it look nasty.
Then it is a dice toss hoping the following weekend has clear skies.
Alas, I have done this only to have two bad weekends in a row, but that's the chance ya take.
I normally book a room at Comfort Suites, and grab a dinner at Double Mountain Brewery (Good beer and great Pizza) or maybe Multnomah Lodge

The sad part is that there is so much to see and do in that area, that even two days is not enough. Although I stay one night, it would be very easy for folks new to this area to stay two nights just to get a grasp on the immensity of all there is.

Departure from Tacoma area would be early(8-ish), and Hood River via mostly back road is a 5+ hour drive (4 if you use freeway).

With the back (eastern) side of St Helens still closed, Freeway driving is required (Maybe 2 hours?) in one direction, but can be minimized with side roads if desired.

Fun route to drive is to exit I-5 at Woodland, pass through Cougar, then Wind River Road to the Columbia. Guaranteed smiles.

From past visits. (Sorry, over compressed the images, so they are fuzzy)
Wow, impressive pics...I will definitely see if I can make that work. I'm moving, which might interfere, but I should know here within the next few days. If it doesn't (and I can find a good place for my dog), I'm in using the method you described (reserve for the first weekend, check weather).

I keep you posted!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by growler05
Sounds like a great drive and the preview pix make it all the more amazing but alas I am limited only to the weekend of the 25th.

I will be driving out to Alberta those dates so it will be kind of a road trip but it will be be in my Range Rover not my Jag.
It may be difficult to get me, my wife and 2 - 6ft+ volleyball players into the rear seat of my XKR and then drive for 12 hours. For some reason they just won‘t go for it.
( second thoughts, I won‘t go for it either.)

I will just have to save it for another time or piggyback it on to another trip.
I will be paying attention however in case anything changes.

Happy trails.

Allan
Maybe we should drive up to CAN on the 25th? Easy day trip, or stay a night if we have the time. Vince?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 AM

Maybe we should drive up to CAN on the 25th? Easy day trip, or stay a night if we have the time. Vince?
I can certainly suggest a few good circuits if you guys would like to head In this direction and I could also probably persuade a few of the local Jags to join us.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Would love to head that way, but have family obligations that weekend, sorry. But it is a good reminder that i need to get my enhanced license so i can cross the border....(Ya never know, once they see my driving habits, Canada may deny me access to all but a Metro bus!)

V

Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's a link to good info on the sights of the Columbia Gorge and the old Columbia River Highway. There are several dozen breathtaking waterfalls, including Multnomah (2nd highest in North America), Wahkeena, Bridalveil, Horsetail, Sheppard's Dell, LaTourell, and my personal favorite, Oneonta Gorge.

Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area Waterfalls

I would love to join this trip, and would also love another trip to Canada (was just there last weekend for three awesome days). Vince, when you look into getting the enhanced license from Washington state, you should also look into getting a passport card instead. It costs the same, is much less hassle to obtain, and is good for ten years. For ten bucks more you can also get a regular passport booklet at the same time (savvy travelers recommend you have this so if an emergency pops up and you need to fly home you can).

What happened to the idea of the Redmond car show followed by a drive? Did I miss it?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Swimref
What happened to the idea of the Redmond car show followed by a drive? Did I miss it?
Nope, I think we have interest, but need to figure it out before the June 15th Jag day.

Columbia River, More data:
Any interested in this run needs to understand I may be overly optimistic about some of the roads this early in the year. Last time I went in early spring was via I-5. If you get one chance at this, you may be happier making the run in June or July.

Research today shows Wind River road is open but not fully plowed, so unless that changes in 2 weeks I wont drive in rutted snow.
White Pass however is bare and dry and packed with beautiful vistas. In planning,we just need to remember that late season storms can still close passes down.
Southbound
Side note to southbound: I'll be watching for 410 to open, but suspect icing on the roadway might best be avoided the first week its drivable (assuming they get it open on the 4th of May).

Northbound is a tougher call with Wind River out of the picture. Leaves retracing to Yakima, (maybe running the Yakima River Canyon north to I-90?) or the side roads of I-5.

The Scenic Highway alone is an hour plus drive, make it two plus, just to stop and snap shots.

V

Old 04-27-2013, 02:11 AM

With my work schedule filling up, a Columbia trip is less and less likely for me. I keep watching though.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

With my work schedule filling up, a Columbia trip is less and less likely for me. I keep watching though.
Would love to show the the area (Trust me, you'd be pleasantly shocked), but I understand... If you get bogged down, be sure to keep in on your "must do" list for the summer.

This is more a "Welcome to Spring" run for me,and I use the clean air, great vistas and majestic waterfalls to revitalize the nature lover in me...

Still like to hike the falls because I can (and know it's getting harder with age) and hopefully find a great photo or two in the adventure.

No idea if any others are interested (Any Oregonians want to take a day drive up the river?), but I will offer my company as a tour guide or co-traveler of your looking to get out and away that weekend.

Vince

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-05-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

WooHoo!

I see Paradise loop on Rainier is now officially open!

Sunrise is projected to open on June 28th!

Quick Reply: Time to talk "Drives" for 2013