US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Wow.... Drive failures, 2019.... Can we do at least one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Wow.... Drive failures, 2019.... Can we do at least one?

Hey peeps,

I'm sorry to have let many down this year, but I had little time do deal with coordinating drives with friends and fellow Jag owners. We should have had at least 3 under our tires by now!.
I check in with Muddydog now and then, and he too has been loaded down with responsibilities that have interfered with his summer schedule as well. (He even hinted that the forum may need a new NW Region Moderator, but I'll leave that on the shelf for now, cause if true, it needs to come from him, not me.)

What we do lack, is drive coordinators.... Individuals willing to step up and say "Hey! I'm driving to _______ on ______! Who wants to join and let our cats strut their stuff?" Even one or two extra is a win!
In past years, we have talked about trying to share some of the ideas and efforts for group drives, and to date, I think only Swimref raised his hand (forgive me if someone else did and I forgot).
It really doesn't take a lot, and I have "winged" my way through many, so don't be bashful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019 is almost shot, but I refuse to let the Annual Leavenworth Drive vanish with it!
So................... Lets at least get this one on the books for the year.... What say you?

Saturday, September 28th, Leavenworth Autumn Leaf Festival....
Start in Monroe.... Lunch in Leavenworth.... Return via I-84
So dust off the kitty cat, grab the significant other, grab the kids, grab the three handled moss covered family gradunza, and lets do this!

Those interested, just copy the newest list, re-post it with your name added on!

1.) Clevername
2.) ?
3.) ?
4.) ?
5.) ?
6.) ?
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

The following users liked this post:
Swimref (09-01-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Thank you for suggesting the Leavenworth drive! I was going to suggest the same date. Let’s do it!

Those interested, just copy the newest list, re-post it with your name added on!

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
3.) ?
4.) ?
5.) ?
6.) ?
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

CleverName (08-23-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Well! September at last!

Thanks XJDanny for being the first to recognize that this is an annual drive worth trying to save!

For any new folks, this will be the EIGHTH Cascadia Cats Leavenworth Drive.

It's a day of nice scenery, with autumn leaves showing off their colors, and several chances to mingle with old and new found friends. The drive has normally started in Monroe, around a 10AM departure (I might suggest a bit later, in hopes that the Autumn Leaf Festival parade is over by the time we hit Leavenworth).
We stop several times along the way giving us access to restrooms, and line up the cars for photo ops.

FRS radios are used for car to car communications, which in itself has been a complete source of entertainment!

Time spent in Leavenworth is about 1.5 hours, where we eat, chat, and maybe shop... (There is a amazing artist market where you can buy some serious works!)
After that, it is kinda "do your own thing.... Stay, head back via 2, continue on to Cle Elm, stop and scream "I'll never trust Clever on drives ever ever again!"..... (That hasn't happened.................. at least within earshot of me! )

This drive tends to be somewhat fluid and relaxed. so if you have questions, or ideas, post up or PM me.

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
3.) ?
4.) ?
5.) ?
6.) ?
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

BTW Examples of past drives (go to the end of the posts to see pics)!

Peace!

Old 09-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Hi All!

I had to google the Dr. Seuss reference.

Having been forced to miss the last three Leavenworth drives due to schedule conflicts and unnecessary weather postponements, I am determined to make it this year. I do still have a schedule conflict on that day (9/28), however, with Mariner Oktoberfest tickets for late afternoon (4PM). I certainly can't return via Oregon (Vince said I-84) and even taking I-90 I think I would have to leave Leavenworth no later than 1:45 PM and make no Cle Elum or other stops.

In past years when we have been able to go we have started in Monroe at 800, 830, and 900 AM. This year I see it proposed that we not leave until 1000 or, God forbid, even later. I don't see how such a late start could possibly work for us, especially considering the numerous stops and side excursions we usually have along the way. Please please please don't squeeze us out again!

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
3.) Swimref +1 (if we can get started by 9 as in the past)
4.) ?
5.) ?
6.) ?
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

Hoping that this can be worked out. Thanks,
Kevin

Old 09-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Swimref!

I was thinking about our issues with the parade. When in Leavenworth I almost always look about and think "Dang! If we had only showed up an hour later! All the roads opened just as we were eating lunch....
Something to think about.

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) ?
5.) ?
6.) ?
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

Last edited by CleverName; 09-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Would love to join you!

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) Jenise
5.) ?
6.) ?
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Jenise:
CleverName (09-10-2019), Swimref (09-12-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

SoSick said he's in!

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) Jenise
5.) SoSick
6.) ?
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Muddydog:
CleverName (09-10-2019), Swimref (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:43 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Heh. I'm comin.

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) Jenise
5.) SoSick
6.) Rahtok
7.) ?
9.) ?
10.) ?

The following 3 users liked this post by Rahtok:
CleverName (09-12-2019), KenAdamson (09-11-2019), Swimref (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) Jenise
5.) SoSick
6.) Rahtok
7.) Ken
9.) ?
10.) ?

The following 2 users liked this post by KenAdamson:
CleverName (09-12-2019), Swimref (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

So is it 9 or 10? I prefer 9. There’s nothing wrong about parking at Safeway and having a nice walk into town for lunch.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJDanny:
CleverName (09-12-2019), Swimref (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I've heard no "Great idea!" for a 10am departure, so it looks to be our standard 9am roll out.

Schedule: (approximate) This is a full day schedule.
8:00 - 8:45 AM Arrive Safeway... Meet and Greet
8:45 - 9:00 AM Driver’s Meeting
9:00 AM Depart!
11:30 - 12:00 Arrive Leavenworth, Lunch
2:00 PM Depart Leavenworth

This event is to allow jaguar owners the opportunity to meet and share the unique experiences of owning and driving such wonderful cars. This is a family event! We would like to encourage the camaraderie and fun found in the wandering back roads of our area, far away from the rapid pace we live in today.
If you have children attending, please keep them safe!

Where to meet:
Attendees will meet in the Safeway parking lot in Monroe WA between 8:00 and 8:45 19651 Hwy 2 Monroe, WA 98272
Safeway offers Starbuck Coffee and doughnuts. A McDonalds also shares the parking lot for those wanting a McMuffin or such...

What to bring:
Fuel:
Please arrive with a full tank of gas. Shell and Chevron stations are both visible from the Safeway parking lot.
Safety check:
Please make sure your car is ready by checking fluid levels, lights and indicators! Follow at safe distances, and allow fast drivers to pass into and out of our group. Bunching up and hogging passing opportunities for cars trailing us may encourage tempers. Be courteous, be safe...

Communications:
We will utilize FRS 2-way radios (available at Best Buy, Target, etc.) for car-to-car communications on channel 4 (Alternate Ch7)*. If you own a pair, please bring them with fresh (and spare) batteries. If you have extra radios to loan, please bring them to share!

Cameras:
What is a gathering without capturing a few shots of that rare and exclusive group of cats and their owners? We still have the JaguarForums banner for a group photo!

What to expect:
Weather:
Watch weather conditions for the day of the event. Crossing the Cascade range can offer a wide variation of weather conditions from 55 degree torrential downpours on one side, to 82 degrees and sunny on the other. Come prepared.

Vehicle Breakdowns:
We take care of each other. A car failure will not halt the procession, but we will make sure the car and owner are made safe, and arraignments for transportation are in place. At that point the group will continue the drive.

Parking:
No one protects your beloved car better than another Jag owner! Park together, and with reasonable space for egress. (Do not leave excessive gaps between cars less you wish a rusted Toyota pickup to wedge itself in there!) Leavenworth parking will be 2 to 3 blocks from downtown.

Speed:
The group as a whole will follow the posted speed limit, however spirited driving is always up to the individual. If you are one who enjoys attacking a short piece of twisty road, please ask to be near the front of the group. Those of you following at a more sensible pace should be further to the rear.
At no time should any driver feel pressured to “keep up”. Those leaping ahead must remain close to the group, and allow it to catch them every few miles.

Lunch
Historically, Andreas Keller German style Restaurant. has been our group go-to. However, the leaf festival and long waiting times last year had us find another place with open seats. In hindsight It is probably good to try other eateries to see if there are new favorites to be found. Of course everyone is free to dine where you like.

Vince

* I have learned that channel 7 is a higher power output than channel 4 by design. As talking front to rear can be difficult due to range, we might talk about using 7 instead. The biggest problem is that it wears down the batteries much quicker, so maybe not.

Last edited by CleverName; 09-13-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Spillen....
Old 09-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Oops! Wrong forum!

Old 09-14-2019, 05:20 PM

Got the XKR back out of the shop today. Pesky TPMS issues. Turns out that there were multiple shenanigans involved in getting it to work including flashing the unit and wild tire pressure changes. I decree the system WAY too complex and wish I fit in an E-Type.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Welp
The days count down and Fall kicks in!

So far, we are under our normal count of Jags for this run, but considering the lack of gatherings and drives for the Summer, it isn't completely unexpected. Regardless, the day will be great to see old friends, and meet new.

Anywho... 7 years of this gathering have taught me to stop worrying about weather. Rain or shine, not only do we seem t have fun, the summit puts us in a completely different climate!
If I recall correctly, I dont think we have ever had a gloomy day in Leavenworth regardless of the downpours in Seattle!

So lets get all you sitting on the fence signed up for a fun day showing off our good taste in cars and chatting with others that have the same good taste!!
It doesn't matter if you kitty is a work in progress, or a garage queen, we are always excited to see it and smile as our Jag turns heads all the way there!

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) Jenise
5.) SoSick
6.) Rahtok
7.) Ken
9.) ?
10.) ?
11.) ?
12.) ?

peace!

Old 09-23-2019, 09:55 AM

Anyone pinged Marko yet?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I just realized this conflicts with plans we've had for Saturday, and I can't go

Don't we usually have this on Sunday? I guess it was changed to avoid the parade - which makes sense, TBH.

Sorry guys, I'll have to catch up with you some other time.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KenAdamson
I just realized this conflicts with plans we've had for Saturday, and I can't go
Don't we usually have this on Sunday? I guess it was changed to avoid the parade - which makes sense, TBH.
Sorry guys, I'll have to catch up with you some other time.
Cheers,

Ken
Sorry to hear it Ken,

The drive has always been Satrudays. I've tried in the past to convince the group to shift to Sundays because of the parade, but it isn't something anyone has favored so we moved on....

I hope we get a few more to join in, but this year is already a mess, so even getting something on the 2019 logs is at least a win.

Hang in there, and look forward to a better start in 2020!

V

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) Jenise
5.) SoSick
6.) Rahtok
7.)
9.) ?
10.) ?
11.) ?
12.) ?

Last edited by CleverName; 09-23-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Marko says he's in!

1.) Clevername
2.) XJDanny
4.) Jenise
5.) SoSick
6.) Rahtok
7.) Marko
9.) ?
10.) ?
11.) ?
12.) ?

Swimref (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wow

1. Clevername
2. Xjdanny
3. Swimref +1
4. Jenise
5. SoSick
6. rahtok
7. Marko
8. Wardpilot

CleverName (09-24-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Well crap.................

WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...
Snow predicted for Stevens, Blewett, and Snoqualmie Pass.....
3cm to 4cm, so it probably will not stick to roads, but we got slammed on our inaugural drive, and those of us with foot wide tires didn't enjoy a bit of it.

Not happy bout that at all......
Thoughts?

Last edited by CleverName; 09-26-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Wow.... Drive failures, 2019.... Can we do at least one?