US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Dallas Meet and Greet

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Stonewood Ranch Jaguar
Thanks for the website to the Birdville group! By the pictures looks like they get a great turnout each month. Lots of classic cars and hot rods! Not sure if I should even attend with my jag! It's a 2013 XF. Will anyone even be interested at looking at a new car?
Brian
There's usually no shortage of late model Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and Corvettes there and lately somebody's been bringing a brand new VW Beetle. I guess its not unusual for people to want to show off their brand new cars as I've seen temporary paper dealer tags. There's also parking outside the show area if anyone wants to come and just hang out for a short while.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Guys - Just a thought.....

It may be wise to keep this thread going for sure, I'm all up for it, but.......

I would suggest a new thread for any other specific meets with dates / times etc.

That way it will get specific interest......You can also then post into this thread with a link to the specific new thread to further gtauge interest.

sinner (07-19-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CatLovr
Yes, that's right! Here's another opportunity: We do live jazz every 1st and 3rd Sunday at our winery. This Sunday, July 21st, is our next one. We normally charge $10 admission, and I'd like to offer *free admission* to any Jag enthusiasts (and their guests/partners/spouses/etc.) that want to attend. Three hours of live music from 4 - 7. The kitchen serves lunch from 12 - 6. I will reserve a table for Jag folks. The parking lot is packed gravel with lots of trees, so some opportunity for shade. Plenty of opportunity to stroll around and admire eachother's rides.
We are on the far NW side of the FW area, about a fifteen minute drive from downtown FW on good roads. Check out our place at LightCatcher Home.
If this one doesn't work for you, we'll do another one. Let me know if you can come! Cheers.
This sounds great. A nice long(ish) drive out to a part of the area I never normally visit (I'm in Lewisville), something to eat, meet other Jag owners AND jazz.

Like others I feel a bit strange turning up to a hot rod meet or car show in a car that's only 12 months old.

Thanks very much for the offer. Trouble is I can't make it this coming weekend but sign me up for an event in the near future.

Thanks again for offering to host this.

Andy

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

I'd be interested in attending a meet in September, before the time change but after the weather starts to cool down a bit.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How many of you are planning to attend the car show this Saturday evening at the Birdville school? Let's try to get a preliminary show of interest. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brainstorm
This sounds great. A nice long(ish) drive out to a part of the area I never normally visit (I'm in Lewisville), something to eat, meet other Jag owners AND jazz.

Like others I feel a bit strange turning up to a hot rod meet or car show in a car that's only 12 months old.

Thanks very much for the offer. Trouble is I can't make it this coming weekend but sign me up for an event in the near future.

Andy
I suspect Ricky Bobby will be a no show too.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iamddo,

I had something come up for this Saturday and can't make the show.. I will definitely make next months show.
Brian

Old 07-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by iamddo
How many of you are planning to attend the car show this Saturday evening at the Birdville school? Let's try to get a preliminary show of interest. Thanks.
Tomorrow is starting to look kind of iffy. I've been watching the weather all week and they keep upping the rain chances for Saturday afternoon. Its now up to 30% coverage. I know some of y'all would be coming from quite a distance and would hate to get here and be rained on or worse, get rained on along the way after you've cleaned your car up for a show. The next event at the Birdville stadium is August 17th if y'all feel more comfortable with that or pick another event.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Guys - Just a thought.....

It may be wise to keep this thread going for sure, I'm all up for it, but.......

I would suggest a new thread for any other specific meets with dates / times etc.

That way it will get specific interest......You can also then post into this thread with a link to the specific new thread to further gtauge interest.
that's a great idea and once something looks promising a thread should be started and updated as guys say they will join the event

Originally Posted by Brainstorm

Andy
most cars show are full of new cars but the beauty of the jag is that not many of them are around and even if it's a new car it's new to others as well

Originally Posted by iamddo

my son and i are planning to b there if the weather holds up. i'll post here about 2 hours befroe the event where we stand on it.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be great to keep this thread going and/or have a specific one for car show events in the Dallas/FW area. Although this weekend doesn't work for me I will post future event dates on the JOASW.com website calendar. There are numerous Jaguar club memebers in north Dallas. We're always looking for opportunities to gather together. I'll keep an eye on the posts. I should be able to make the August show dates.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This weekend doesn't work for me..although I live about 5 blocks from Birdville High. I'll continue to follow this thread here...Have fun folks.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

We are making it to Birdville tonight, the wife made plans for us without tell me.... Again!!! grrrrr

Old 07-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sinner
We are making it to Birdville tonight, the wife made plans for us without tell me.... Again!!! grrrrr
I take it from the wife's plans you mean "are not". I think I'm going to issue a rain check too. Its just rained a little here at my house and the radar shows scattered rain all around the metro area. Meanwhile I just started wrestling with an ill-fitting carpet and need to get this Mustang's interior back together in time for the Yellow Rose show on Aug 10th so I need to work on that. Lets shoot for the August 17th date.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I live close to Birdville, so after the Saturday afternoon thunderstorm, I walked through the show. By 7 pm, at least half of the display spots were filled and cars continued to arrive all the time I was there. I'd estimate 60 or more cars were there, so I'm sure the earlier rain kept many away. One brave soul was showing an XJS (12), and it looked great. I didn't see the owner around, however, so didn't get a chance to say hello. There was an older XJ in the visitor's parking area, so someone else from this forum may have been checking things out, as I was. Lots of interesting cars of all ages and types. It's free to everyone, although the show participants pay $15, which goes to supporting the show and some to charity, as I understand it.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsjr65
Thanks Jim...taking it upon myself seems to be the only way this is going to happen. The biggest hurdle I am finding is spreading the word. But I do it daily and won't quit!

Please help as you are and let me re-post the flyer often. I would love to have a strong Jaguar group present. I don't own one at the time but it is certainly one of my favorites, definitely the best looking car ever manufactured.

Come on members from Texas! Grab your Jaguar forums banner and show up in force!! (see flyer on my previous post)
Well I accidentally hit Thanks on this, but really intended a polite 'no thanks' as I went for the Quote button. Sorry, but I'm struggling to find much worthwhile relevance to this out of the blue for Jaguars. While hot rod gatherings work well for a general group of similar vehicle style enthusiasts, Jaguars and other notable brands/niches work better on their own. I could understand if this was a town with a population of 500 to get all the car guys together, but...

Originally Posted by CatLovr
Yes, that's right! Here's another opportunity: We do live jazz every 1st and 3rd Sunday at our winery. This Sunday, July 21st, is our next one. We normally charge $10 admission, and I'd like to offer *free admission* to any Jag enthusiasts (and their guests/partners/spouses/etc.) that want to attend. Three hours of live music from 4 - 7. The kitchen serves lunch from 12 - 6. I will reserve a table for Jag folks. The parking lot is packed gravel with lots of trees, so some opportunity for shade. Plenty of opportunity to stroll around and admire eachother's rides.
We are on the far NW side of the FW area, about a fifteen minute drive from downtown FW on good roads. Check out our place at LightCatcher Home.
If this one doesn't work for you, we'll do another one. Let me know if you can come! Cheers.
This, however, is much more relevant.

Let's start targeting efforts toward those of us in here who actually currently own Jaguars and share common interests to gather somewhere. That said, it sounds like we already have a legit local group of Jag brethren in the JOASW. I like others would probably rather not try and show up at an event under what would be seen as a questionable, rival banner. Typically, as a default where available, loyalty lies in your local club if one is present. A global online forum is merely a conduit if a dedicated group is already established specifically for the area. So I don't know about you guys, but while I'd love to attend a JaguarForums GTG, I'm now looking at JOASW for events and activity as I was unaware of this (though assumed something had to exist here but haven't had a chance to research).

CatLovr- thanks for the great offer. I've saved your site regardless! It would be fun to do a Jag gathering there sometime. And if my schedule allowed more spontaneity I'd be there tonight. Sounds excellent.

JimC64 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Sorry, but I'm struggling to find much worthwhile relevance to this out of the blue for Jaguars. While hot rod gatherings work well for a general group of similar vehicle style enthusiasts, Jaguars and other notable brands/niches work better on their own. I could understand if this was a town with a population of 500 to get all the car guys together, but..
The idea came from a need to do something completely informal. I'd feel guilty if somebody made a bunch of special arrangements and then only two or three Jaguar owners showed up. At least a local car show is happening whether we show up or not and there'd be something to enjoy without anyone having to do anything special.

But I understand those who may feel that Jaguars don't fit in with hot rods and muscle cars. That's why I suggested the CCC show at Birdville. Its large enough and diverse enough to have more than just the standard domestic fare. I'm one of those who likes pretty much anything with an internal combustion reciprocating engine that I can ride in or on. The car that I've had the longest is actually a 1985 Toyota Supra. It was the first car I bought after college and I've held on to it all these years. It does NOT fit in at those "import" car shows with all the stereos and underglow and it seems that at the typical domestic oriented shows I often run into guys who were laid off from the GM Arlington plant and still hold a grudge against Toyota for knocking them off the top of the hill. The CCC show is one of the few select shows that I'm comfortable showing the Supra. Plus I know one of the club members frequently shows an E-type.

The winery thing sounds OK as long as I can drink something else. That sounds like the kind of thing that the JOASW might do but many car clubs also try to encourage their members to participate in local car shows. It helps recruit new members and increase the value of their cars if more people see them and want them. I think it would be cool if the forum picked a different local car show each month as well as having one or two Jaguar-specific events each year.

JimC64 (07-22-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Non specific meets are intended for anyone who is an automotive enthusiast. I drive an AMG C63 Mercedes sedan. I love the Jag's especially the new ones and the 60's era cars.
I have been a member of OEM specific clubs as well and enjoyed.
However, the biggest & best automotive gatherings I have ever been to over the years are the open to everyone.
Manufacturer types will park together typically. I am asking dealers of European, Asian, American vehicles to come out. Guess who stepped up first? Mercedes Benz!! Let's get a Jag dealer out there. SO many beautiful new cars are being produced.
So that said here is a flyer for our 2nd Carrollton Motor Club Event Aug 24th. I sincerely hope you will all come. Each month will get better. We have a local restaurant opening their doors to us this month. Free parking, facilities and coffee. Details are attached. Hope to see you all there, new and old, projects to super cars. My contact info is on the flyer. Please feel free to call or email.

John

Attached Files
Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsjr65
Non specific meets are intended for anyone who is an automotive enthusiast. I drive an AMG C63 Mercedes sedan. I love the Jag's especially the new ones and the 60's era cars.
I have been a member of OEM specific clubs as well and enjoyed.
However, the biggest & best automotive gatherings I have ever been to over the years are the open to everyone.
Manufacturer types will park together typically. I am asking dealers of European, Asian, American vehicles to come out. Guess who stepped up first? Mercedes Benz!! Let's get a Jag dealer out there. SO many beautiful new cars are being produced.
So that said here is a flyer for our 2nd Carrollton Motor Club Event Aug 24th. I sincerely hope you will all come. Each month will get better. We have a local restaurant opening their doors to us this month. Free parking, facilities and coffee. Details are attached. Hope to see you all there, new and old, projects to super cars. My contact info is on the flyer. Please feel free to call or email.

John
Thanks for the information regarding the next Carrollton Motor Club event. I will bring this up at my next JOASW meeting and see how many club members I can entice to join me.

Speaking of which, our next JOASW club meeting will be next Tuesday night at Mesa Maya restaurant in the Preston Forest area. (We typically meet on the first Tuesday of every month.) Dinner starts at 7:00 but many club members meet at the bar starting around 6:00ish for meet and greet. We generally have 20-30 club members in attendance. If anyone is interested in joining us I can send you the flyer that has more details. It would be a good way to meet many club members and talk Jaguars over dinner. My wife and I will be there and would enjoy meeting you. Let me know if you're interested and I will send more information and make sure we save space for you.
I will soon post a list of various Jaguar events that will be occurring this fall. These are predominantly Concour events starting with JOASW's 50th anniversary event in mid-September. Stay tuned for more details.

JimC64 (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey everyone! I am going to post an OPEN OFFER for anyone to come to one of our Jazz Sundays (the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month, March thru November). Free admission to all Jaguar enthusiasts. Just be sure to identify yourself to your server and ask for me. I will see about coming to a gathering elsewhere, ie Carrollton etc.. August 24th is our annual CRUSH DAY, a HUGE party with over 200 ladies dressed like Lucy stomping in the grapes. Come if you dare. ;-) See y'all roundabouts.
LightCatcher Winery • LightCatcher Home

JimC64 (08-03-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Where is the Jazz meet and is there one today?

Quick Reply: Dallas Meet and Greet