US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Houston area Jag shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: Houston area Jag shop?

Don't go too hard on the dealer service, sometimes they are quicker in labor hours than your regular joe shop, due to experience. I weigh each repair accordingly...is it something simple like trim repair, suspension, brakes...or something more elaborate like system module problems, sensors, etc. It's always good to have your options, but I have found that even when I have to (or choose to) use the dealer service department, they have been very fair. So far, I've paid for one part, they installed it for free, got warranty repair work for nothing, not even a diagnostic fee, which they are in there right to charge for.

Although I have not had any service work done at Momentum Jag in Houston, I did have a pleasant sales experience...don't know if it trickles sideways to the techs/managers or not, but consider them nonetheless.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Momentum Jag @ US 59.

Ask for Billy in Repairs.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Our repair facility is here in Houston, we are up off I-10 and Washington. We are looking into opening a Sugarland location. Let me know if we are too far for what you need, I can probably find a shop down your way.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM

I generally like to turn my own wrenches, but the previous owner of my XJ6 gave Motorcars, Ltd. good marks, so they will get a try when I'm short of time or tools.

pv

Last edited by Pura Vida; 01-12-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm a newbie to the forum.
Is it substandard netiquette to bump up a thread that was started in 2008?

To contribute to this Houston area thread, I will add that the only part that we have purchased for our 2003 X-type was a front license plate bracket (to comply with Texas laws, the car was apparently sourced from the mid-west). We bought it and had it installed at the Momentum Jaguar dealership on US 59. Seems it was about $150 or so. I do most of my car repairs if possible, and had a little sticker shock on this one. I am going to write it off as a very low turnover part, which surely means extra expense. Nevertheless, a front bracket for my boy's 1998 Chevy pickup was only $20 and I can install it with two bolts.

--geoff

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

damn what an old thread......I dont know anyone, especially Billy, (he works for Volvo now) ask for Michelle and tell her Brutal sent you
And that plate is like $50-60 yeah for plastic..hey I dont set the prices

Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Default Old thread i know but i gotta say it

Even from up in Austin I know it's Motorcars LTD in Houston. Great guys for parts for me, I use them every time. The Austin shop never did the parts and the service here used to rock until the lead mech gave it up and headed home to Houston.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 PM
JKK
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after 3 years I finally had to get it in shop (2000 XJ8). Was cranking & wouldn't turn over the other week. Battery fresh & it had gas. Had it towed (AAA worth it each year) to a little shop I have used for inspections for years (Southwest Muffler/Brake Works) that have a general mechanic. I figured a fuel delivery problem couldn't be that hard to diagnose. In about ten minutes they told me it was fuel pump & 24 hours later was fixed & rolling. $450 I think was pretty good. Dropping the fuel tank I have done before on old cars in past but had no desire to do this one so I think was a good deal for the labor involved. Not sure what this would have cost at the dealer but the beauty of having a relatively simple car like the XJ8 means any good mechanic shop can fix most problems. Just an update from me...thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM

I have them do my exhaust work when Im not building my own from scratch..Yes thats cheaper than we are.(dealer)

Old 09-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As dealers go, both Momentum and Southwest are good. I do prefer Southwest as Momentum always like to let you know they are very busy, as if to say, 'we don't really have time for you, but if we must' and Southwest have been very good about some warranty work that was partly the MIL doing.

Glad to see a few Houston Jaguar owners around, I was starting to think everyone here has a Merc?

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW I'm only in Miss City so will keep my eyes open for you in Sugar Land.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM

I'm a brand new jag owner and the only mechanic I've taken it to was Paul Davis at Jaguar Sport International near the Belliare area. I took the car i bought to him for an extensive inspection prior to my buying the car, as it is a used Jag. He was very thorough and says he's been doing it for about 25 years. He a 2-3 man operation it appears.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 PM

there is fast coming a time when no one but a dealer is gonna be able to do anything more than simple stuff. No one has the diag equipment, no one has the new product training, and you now need IT computor training and advanced electronics training..
what happened to points and carbs

Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Did anyone every try the Jaguar Houston North (by I-45 in spring area)
or have anyone heard the Lucas Auto care? are they any good?

or as recommended .. momentum or southwest?

thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Default STR 05 Service

Originally Posted by Brutal
there is fast coming a time when no one but a dealer is gonna be able to do anything more than simple stuff. No one has the diag equipment, no one has the new product training, and you now need IT computor training and advanced electronics training..
what happened to points and carbs
STR 05 Thanks, Brutal. This is where we are now. Have tested everything we can in our garage and pretty much narrowed the Park Brake Fault to the PBM or sensors or something electronic that will have to be diagnosed by trained tech. Love my kitty but it must go on a trailer for the 180 mi. to Momentum on 59. Is Michelle the service person recommended?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 361gayle
STR 05 Thanks, Brutal. This is where we are now. Have tested everything we can in our garage and pretty much narrowed the Park Brake Fault to the PBM or sensors or something electronic that will have to be diagnosed by trained tech. Love my kitty but it must go on a trailer for the 180 mi. to Momentum on 59. Is Michelle the service person recommended?
yes, she's my advisor, and you need to request me and Ill work with you on it

The following users liked this post:
361gayle (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Default STR 05 Service

Originally Posted by Brutal
yes, she's my advisor, and you need to request me and Ill work with you on it
Thanks, when we can come your way, will call Michelle at Momentum and request you. Waiting for the "thaw." Literally frozen in at the moment. Appreciate it.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:57 AM

I just moved here from Cleveland OH bought an 97 XJ6 I have a few issues with it and if I plan on staying I need to get the emmsions right (I believe its an EGR problem high NOXs) plus a tempramental sunroof. Not sure if this is the right thread to to ask but is there a way to pull codes without a scan tool? My dad uses a place I believe its up here on the NW side I have a number but they specialize in volvos but they do work in Jags as well. I'll see if I can find the name of the place if anyone is interested.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 PM

Hey all I know probably not as strange question as it sounds, but here goes. Does anyone know of a Mech for a 88 xjs that is willing to come out to my house and look at a problem I'm having on my baby. Before going into details, figured I would ask... Really don't want to tow her right now.. Last resort... Willing to pay properly if he is...

fyi... Houston N/W area...

Last edited by RandallCB; 04-29-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: location

Quick Reply: Houston area Jag shop?